Post Thanks / Like

<span>hello everyone,

recently I bought I 2013 Dodge Durango and obviously it was stored in a damp place by the dealer so the vehicle got rust spots on the chrome parts like the liftgate door handle and the rest of the door handles plus the emblems. I tried to polish it with Blue Ribbon`s rubbing compound. I`ve got a better result by doing that but with some scratches along on the chrome liftgate door handle. took it to the dealer 2nd day they agreed to replace all of the chrome parts with no hassle. but I don`t trust their workmanship to refit the parts like the factory as long as the vehicle is brand new with a very low mileage. so I`m looking for a another solution by curing the chrome parts while they still on the vehicle. the place I live at is have a lack of auto care products. but there`s a Harley dealer around and I think they`ve got some good stuff. I need to cure my chrome parts out of the rust without having swirls by doing that. any recommendations? any help? thanks in advance. `

Post Thanks / Like

If they`re damaged, have them replaced while you can. I would strongly suggest that you read the Service Advisor the riot act in regards to not washing or touching the paint on your truck. To me, that`s scarier than having them replace the hardware.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t trust the dealer. as they said. noises and squeecks might come out by opening and refitting the interior moldings. that`s why I`m looking for another solution. polishing or whatever.

`

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s the risk you`re going to have to consider because I seriously doubt you`re going to be able to stop or turn back the rusting. It`s only going to get worse.`

`

Also, modern door trim panels are pretty straight forward in regards to removal. They are held in place by plasitc clips and screws. I serious doubt that removal of them will cause any issues. Now if you were to have someone remove your dash board, center console or headliner that`s a totally different story in my book.`

`

Once the new emblems/trim are on I would consider Opti-Coating them to prevent anything from causing those to corrode.`
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

dubking999- Welcome to Autopia.

`

I certainly understand your reluctance to trust the dealer on this, but David Fermani is right- get them replaced.` Rust on chrome usually indicates that the plating (chromium and other layers) has been irrevocably compromised and the underlying steel is corroding (that`s where the rust comes from as chrome in-and-of itself doesn`t rust).

`

In hindsight, I woulda tried chemical decontamination rather than abrasive polishing; it`d work better on the corrosion and there`d be far less chance of scratching (like, basically zero).

Thread Information