Post Thanks / Like
    One of my car`s, Toyota Supra 1994 LHD, inner windshield is all messed up where it would be so hard to view at night because I can see the shadows of the smudges. I have used windshield and paper towel/newspaper but that failed on me as I made a huge mess. What would you recommend to clean it and prevent it from producing fogs/condensations? Your suggestion is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water and paper towel . Todays news paper ink is water soluble .. Not like the old days . Use your towels folded not scrunched. Spray the window and wipe it down with one towel to clean it the immediatly polish it with the other.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never did well with homebrew mixtures, not even close to the results I get with better Glass Cleaners. Eh, I don`t do well with a lot of stuff that others like (e.g., surgical huck towels). And I generally scrunch up my window towels too! Heh heh, sounds like Jesstzn and I have the opposite extremes covered :chuckle:

Yeah, the old "newspaper" thing worked a lot better back in the day when both autoglass and newsprint were completely different than they are now.

My advice is to find a good Glass Cleaner (many like Meguiar`s M120...think that`s the right number or try the HD stuff) and some good glass-cleaning towels. "Good towels" will be different tings for different people.

Some MF towels made for glass work well for me, but many eventually start to leave MF lint behind. I prefer the no-nap/woven ones.

But my absolute faves are the polypropylene window wipes from Griot`s Garage (pn 14910) and their Window Cleaner works well for me too (kit with the wipes and cleaner is pn11510).

Do the work in the right lighting so you can really see what`s going on, and allocate sufficient time so you`re not trying to get it done in five minutes.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glass Cleaners

There are dozens of different companies who make glass cleaner. Using alcohol and white vinegar together makes a quickly evaporating glass cleaner

Distilled white vinegar and water solution

• 8 oz isopropyl alcohol (IPA)

• 8 oz distilled water

• 0.25 oz distilled white vinegar

All you need is the right glass cleaner, a glass towel, and the correct technique to get clear, practically invisible glass. For truly clean, streak-free glass, mist one side of the windshield with the glass cleaner of your choice; use the folded towel to wipe up and down the glass in long strokes. Then wipe side to side in long strokes. Flip the towel to the dry side and wipe the glass again in this method. Then move on to the other side of the windshield and on to the rest of the windows.

You may not be able to clean it perfectly the first time. Repeat the above process and continue to wipe in long strokes. Always finish by wiping the glass with a dry side of the towel to eliminate streaks.

Use Dr Joe dedicated Lint-Free 100% Cotton Surgical Towels, that have a tight cotton herringbone weave and a thread count of 170 per square inch, which is ideal for hard surfaces like glass as they have more ‘grip’ than micro fibre towels and helps to break up the surface debris.

Fold the towel in half and then half again. Mist the glass surface with 1:1 ratio of distilled white vinegar and water solution in a spray bottle or Stoners Invisible Glassâ„¢ Trigger Spray Bottle. Use one towel for product application and one for removal / buffing. In hot, humid weather conditions spray and clean one window at a time

Once the glass has been thoroughly cleaned, wipe it dry. Using two clean micro-fibre Waffle Weave towels soak one it in clean water and wring it almost dry. Wipe the glass and then using the other towel dry the glass completely. Once glass surfaces are clean and dry protect it with a sealant or wax.

Washing/ Care- reserve two Waffle Weave towels for glass cleaning .Wash these towel with distilled white vinegar (no detergent or fabric softeners)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Autoglym`s glass polish. I only use it for the inside of my windshield and it`s perfect for that. It`s a lotion consistency. I apply a quarter sized amount to a MF applicator then wipe it over the inside of the windshield in circle motions. It`s easy to see where it`s going so you don`t miss a spot. Let it sit for a few minutes and it hazes. Take an old t-shirt (or any lint free cloth) and wipe off the residue. You`re left with a spotless windshield with no streaks or lint. The stuff is expensive but windshields don`t need cleaning that often I find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Space Grey
    Try Autoglym`s glass polish..

For some reason neither that nor the 1Z version worked well for me :nixweiss Both left something smeary on the glass that would only show up under certain conditions. Not knocking either product, but I don`t deem them Accumulator-proof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    For some reason neither that nor the 1Z version worked well for me :nixweiss Both left something smeary on the glass that would only show up under certain conditions. Not knocking either product, but I don`t deem them Accumulator-proof.

Would there be a solution to prevent the fogs? Most of the replies were to clean the windshield. I am worried winter comes, it would be hard to see and fog up the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra
    Would there be a solution to prevent the fogs?

I`ve never run across anything that really worked for that, despite the claims. Finally just quit looking for a solution.

Note that I`m often (daily) hauling damp/wet dogs during the winter, and I certainly do know from the problem. It`s never all *that* severe of an issue for me, but I bet that`s vehicle-specific.

Post Thanks / Like

Strangely enough, I just noticed that problem today. It`s usually not noticeable but when the sun hits it, I see what you mean. Just in a few places there are marks left over--not smears or streaks, but a little distortion that looks kind of like the holograms bad buffer work leaves in paint. Guess I`ll try some sprayway and see if that works better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Meguiars Glass Cleaner Concentrate (D120) but I`ve also had decent results using Stoners Invisible Glass.

I use surgical huck towels for the initial cleaning. As mentioned, they have a good bite that removes stuck on crud and road film and leave absolutely no lint behind.

After cleaning, I use dedicated, short nap, microfibers to buff dry. I use light but even pressure to gently buff the glass dry. If the MF towel drags, the glass is not clean so I will repeat the cleaning with the huck towel again until the MF buffing towel just glides over the glass. Don`t use too much pressure when buffing or it may leave MF fibers on the glass.

As I mentioned, I dedicate my glass cleaning towels. I wash them by hand and rinse them in a bit of white vinegar and again several times in clean water. I dry them in the dryer.

As to fogging... I`ve found that D156 seems to resist fogging extremely well. D156 also seems to be really good at making glass easier to clean in the future. I apply it to both interior and exterior glass. On the exterior it acts as you would expect, yielding a Rain-X type effect and on the inside I notice that it leaves the glass very slick and subsequent cleaning is extremely easy. D156 buffs sparkling clean with no streaking or smudging.

I came to using D156 from using it on our bathroom mirrors where fogging used to be an issue. Since it worked there, I was pretty confident it would work as well in the car and it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    jfelbab- Hey, that sounds promising! How does subsequent cleaning affect the D156?

Post Thanks / Like
    jfelbab- Hey, that sounds promising! How does subsequent cleaning affect the D156?

D156 seems to last for months on the inside glass. The glass remains very slick and easy to clean. On the outside, I use D156 after every wash anyway and do the paint, glass and vinyl trim weekly so long lasting is not a concern but it easily lasts several weeks.

On the bathroom mirrors it has been months since I last applied it and the mirrors are still slick, remain easy to clean and fog free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Supra
    Would there be a solution to prevent the fogs?

I think you`ll like:

Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information