Post Thanks / Like
    I have been pondering this question for a while now. I run a detail business during the summer when I am not in college. I recently have been curious in doing my business where I go to college to build my business. The problem is how can I detail cars during the winter? I go to college in North Dakota and it gets very cold up here. I run the business out of my "home" and have a heated garage but the problem that I face is washing it? I can always do the waterless method for cars that need to be detailed but aren`t the dirtiest. How about cars that have salt and mud build up that require an actual wash? I have no drainage system and my garage isn`t quite set up like a wash bay(There are tools, electronics, etc) so I can`t be spraying water everywhere. Does anyone have any tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    Take them through the Touchless or Coin-Op car wash and then take them back to your place for a low water wash. Best of both worlds!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Take them through the Touchless or Coin-Op car wash and then take them back to your place for a low water wash. Best of both worlds!
    Sounds like a possibility, what about the people that don`t want their car driven by me to such a place?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGSxNPTACTIX19
    Sounds like a possibility, what about the people that don`t want their car driven by me to such a place?

Offset the fee you would charge them if they bring it to you washed.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I would do:

Coin-Op car wash and then take them back to your place for a low water wash.

Just avoid days where the cold is extreme...otherwise the car will freeze up on you like a giant ice cube

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn`t he have to be insured to drive the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    In ND there are no "days it isn`t too cold" in winter

Anything under 40 becomes difficult to wash. Here is a vid on using a diy wash bay, which will definitely add cost in overhead for a business (video is meant to be for diy`ers). You WILL need garage keeper`s insurance (or more) to drive the vehicle anywhere.

Not trying to spam, but the link goes to detailed image`s blog. I can post a direct link if needed...

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...in-the-winter/
    Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

I have two coin-opp wash about 6 blocks from my house and that`s what I do in the winter. I`ve never had a client have an issue with me driving their car down to get it washed (I`m insured), but you could just have them do it prior too, as others have mentioned.

`

`
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85

In ND there are no "days it isn`t too cold" in winter

Anything under 40 becomes difficult to wash. Here is a vid on using a diy wash bay, which will definitely add cost in overhead for a business (video is meant to be for diy`ers). You WILL need garage keeper`s insurance (or more) to drive the vehicle anywhere.

Not trying to spam, but the link goes to detailed image`s blog. I can post a direct link if needed...

`

`

Jacob. I know you poor Detriot guys have open bay washes down there but up here 99% of ours are sealed and heated. I can comfortably wash my car in the cold of winter wearing just a t-shirt in the 2 places near me.

`

When it gets really cold they may close for the day as they have issues with the overhead doors freezing....usually it has to be below zero though.

`

This one even has CC readers

`

`

`

But this one has more pressure and the wand ends are flexible...great for getting lowers and wheel wells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darn it, Rasky!! You`re making me jealous again!!
    Owner and President
    AutoLavish LLC
    Local to Michigan, Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlb85

No worries. Marc also did a great thread here: `http://www.autopia.org/forum/index.p...2Bwash+%2Byour
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had a pair of these neoprene gloves for the last 10 years--they work wonders when doing either full or ONR washes in the winter and they are not bulky.

`

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...yword=neoprene gloves&p_origin=mens-home
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you look into the lances that click on to the end of your pressure washer. `

`

http://www.autogeek.net/autogeek-foam-cannon-hp.html

`

I have always wondered about how I would go about during the winter months in a fast paced shop, other than filling the damn bucket with warm water like I do when I wash my car at home.

`

I personally haven`t used these in the winter time but If you pull the car inside your garage, let it warm up, hit it with the foam and rinse it before it cools up I don`t see why it wouldn`t work.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autopia!!

`

I prefer to just use a pressure washer when the surface is caked with salt/dirt before washing--seems to remove all the grit.

`

Don`t know why anyone would spend $119 on this when you can get the same thing on Amazon for about $45--of course it doesn`t have the fancy logo on the bottle.
    "If your Personal Beliefs deny what`s objectively true about the world, then they`re more accurately called Personal Delusions" Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thread Information