Post Thanks / Like
    Just looking for recommendations (tips and products) for keeping the black metal window trim on a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen looking clean, black, and protected. I always worry about trim when cleaning cars (esp. plastics), as I`d hate to accidentally discolor something. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    JerryInOCMD- Welcome to Autopia!

I`d treat that like other painted/etc. surfaces, with a Last Step Product ("LSP" = wax/sealant/coating). Be a little careful so you don`t get the LSP on surrounding black rubber if it`s the kind of LSP that stains such surfaces.

If it could use a bit of extra cleaning, I`d probably reach for an All-In-One ("AIO") product such as Klasse AIO ("KAIO", note that it`s less abrasive than some others on the market). Then top the (minimal) stuff that the KAIO leaves behind with the chosen LSP for greater durability.

Note that I use basically this approach for *all* exterior trim, even the plastic/rubber stuff. I do of course choose products that don`t cause "white stains" on such surfaces. No more "dressings" on such materials for me :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Much appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    JerryInOCMD- Welcome to Autopia!

If it could use a bit of extra cleaning, I`d probably reach for an All-In-One ("AIO") product such as Klasse AIO ("KAIO", note that it`s less abrasive than some others on the market). Then top the (minimal) stuff that the KAIO leaves behind with the chosen LSP for greater durability.

Accumulator - You fall out of love with SRP? Grabbed for it the other day and still enjoy using the stuff.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Accumulator - You fall out of love with SRP? Grabbed for it the other day and still enjoy using the stuff.

Nah, just don`t have much call to use it what with the Jag being in mothballs (yes, still ). The older Audi needs greater concealing, so it gets 1Z WaxPolishSoft (the WPS/Collinite combo is just *perfect* for that particular car same as SRP/Souverän is for the Jag).

For this application I`d worry a bit about the SRP leaving those "white stains" anyhow, at least compared to the KAIO where it`s simply not an issue. And I`m all about limiting the abrasion on those "black metal trim" bits, even to the point of not using SRP unless I have a very good reason to.

Glad to hear *you* are liking the SRP though! How does it fit into your arsenal?

Gee, discussing the stuff makes me want to go out to the shop and get a whiff of its signature scent!

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used it on an entire car for ages. I usually reach for it when I need a quick fix. Door jambs, engine compartments and for cleaning up isolated spots here and there. Worked wonders on the paint sliding door trim of my wife`s minivan that was oxidized. I`ll never forget that raw smell!
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Thread Information