Post Thanks / Like
    I have a client who recently brought me his vehicle with pitted and caked chrome wheels.

The chrome rims are less than a year old but they are caked and pitted with brake dust that will not come off with wheel cleaners. I have tried Sonax which did an ok job and then Meg`s Wheel Bright which did not work. I also tried a Flitz ball on my drill with their metal polish with no success.

I know chrome rims have to be cleaned differently and do not have much experience with them. Just wondering if there is something I can use to clean the caked brake dust off or are they toast?

These rims were put on new last september and endured a harsh New England winter with out being cleaned or protected once, so they look pretty bad compared to new. Overall It is the brake dust that is stuck to the wheel lips and inside the 6 hole design in the rims- it is literally caked on.

I am going to try Mothers Chrome wheel cleaner and if that doesnt work maybe Wolf Chemicals Deironizer.

I know I can get these things sparkling again and would greatly appreciate any advice, as I am not used to working on Chrome rims :4:

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t be afraid to use abrasives. I`ve found Meguiar`s 105, either by hand or Griot`s 3" polisher to be very effective. Here`s an example from an SUV w/ chrome 20`s. This took awhile. All four rims were like this. I want to say I spent 75 minutes, working mostly by hand as it was difficult to reach (and prevent sling) even with the small pad and machine.

Before...

After...

Cogito Ergo Idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    If, when you get most of the grunge off, you see "pit`s" in the chrome, you got bigger problems than just brake dust. Are these rims produced in China? Not all are bad, but the cheaper ones use a process termed "splatter chrome" and while nice shine when new, once they start to corrode they are pretty much toast.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice rims vroom! After looking at the ones I am working on I am not sure if they were chrome or just polished- I am thinking they were just polished.

The rims are made my Pro- Comp and I was told they cost about $150 each, not a very expensive rim but not cheap either. I think Pro Comp is an American Company.

I am going to try the Meg`s 105 and see where I get.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have some pics but I cannot seem to post them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Just judging by the price I highly doubt they are chrome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cast in the back of the rim is country of origin. I have a set on one of my vehicles that came on them when I bought it. At first thought they were high dollar USA Weld Wheels, but when I took them off, found them to be Chinese knock-offs. But, they are well made and have no issue with them.

My other vehicles have American Eagle wheels, made in Southern California and retail on them is about $130 each.

I am familiar with ProComp distributors,which are imported from China, good HEI units. Didn`t know they brought wheels in as well if same company.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected it seems you gentlemen are correct they are not Chrome rims as I first thought, the owner told me he purchased them at Summit Racing. I looked them up and they are described at "Polished finish Alloy wheels"

That being said can anything be done to bring back the shine on these wheels and disolve the brake dust?

Don`t mean to beat a dead horse but as a personal challenge it would be great to bring these things back to life for him :2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    Good wheel cleaner, perhaps a couple of applications with good dwell time and agitation. Then Mother`s Metal Power Polish (more effective than their regular alum/mag polish) and use their foam polishing wheel, the yellow one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good plan...

I tried the Flitz polishing bonnet thing on my drill with their metal polish and nada, nothing.

I am thinking that the mothers deal above sounds good or will try Wenol.

Thanks for the tips:4:

BTW I tried three wheel cleaners on them, (Meg`s wheel bright, Mother all wheel cleaner and Sonax) and the one that worked the best was Sonax, I believe becuase it was a gel and stuck to the brake dust longer.

Boy do I miss the days of the old Armour All wheel cleaner, it was truly wash, spray and clean. To bad they had to take it off the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a client who recently brought me his vehicle with pitted and caked chrome wheels.

Thread Information