Post Thanks / Like
    The previous owner of my newer Crown Vic used RainX on its windshield. Though in the past I simply hated the stuff, reapplying from the bottle he gave me was simple enough and it did make for easy bug clean-off during roadtrips.

But now I want to remove the RainX for various reasons. So...how to do it?

Note that the vehicle is otherwise fully detailed, and needs to stay that way. So some messy undertaking (e.g. CeriGlass) is *NOT* gonna work for me. I need to keep the whole thing easy, tidy, and Accumulator-proof.

The windshield has a nasty chip in it, so an earlier suggestion to cook it with a propane torch is unappealing (plus, I don`t want to overheat the surround/seal, that Accumulator-proof hurdle again).

What should I use, how should I do this? Chemical, abrasive....what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rain X should be easily removed with APC. However even easier and faster without getting apc spray on the detailed paint... is to grab any polish you like that doesn`t dust and just quickly polish the shield. You can polish the entire thing in 1-2 sections. Because it is hard and won`t marr from paint polishes, and also you are only trying to remove the rx and not defects. none of the rules apply and there`s no need to work it down or in small sections etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got a DA, you got some Cerious compound, that it.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys.

Ron- I don`t actually have the Cerious yet, and there`s no way I`d risk getting any of that stuff on the rest of the car. No matter how well I covered things up I just *know* I`d induce some micromarring somewhere.

Cee Dog- Yeah, I`ve been using regular polishes/compounds on glass forever, just wondered what kind of responses I`d get in case I was missing something. See, I have zero idea how tough RainX is to remove The APC would be another way for me to mess something up (e.g., the plastic cowl under the windshield took forever to get prepped/sealed to my satisfaction, and I don`t mean just an hour or so ) so this really is all about not messing up anything.

Heh heh, I could even see just replacing the windshield over it! I`d stand there and, uhm...intervene if the installer were about to [mess] something up.

I guess I`ll hit it with some HD Polish next time I clean up the car. But I was wondering if some solvent might strip it off even easier. Getting polish residue out of that chip might be easier said than done, it`s *really* quite a chip. And I`ll probably have to remove the wiperarms, and for some reason it`s a bear to get the wiper-to-glass contact OK after they`re removed/reinstalled (BTDT and what a PIA it was getting that back to the way it was, zero idea why :nixweiss ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Barkeepers friend has always done a nice job removing rain-x for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about Valugard New Car Prep?
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Accumulator

What about a rather strong dilution of IPA sprayed onto a towel and then wiped onto the windshield.

I don`t really like to use to paint polishes on windshields because of the whole "reside in every/any imperfection issue."

We also use an adhesive remover from time to time, but getting that on the cowl might be ugh....

The cowl is sealed how? KAIO, Collinite 845? Or UPP??

Prep wash could work too, but then the cowl comes back to mind.

Replacing it would be awesome, especially with the chip, but someone else working on the car...ehhh

I might just tape the cowl, try the alcohol or adhesive remover on a towel, and call it a day.
    Word of Mouth Detailing
    A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Barkeepers friend has always done a nice job removing rain-x for me.

Same for me.
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Run a torch across the glass.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d apply a solvent to a 3" buffing pad but use the pad as a sponge in hand. That way it doesn`t drip on anything, even the rubber trim. Acrysol is my solvent of choice, but non foaming brake cleaner spray, 3M cleaner, or practically anything of that ilk should work.

I wanna see pics of the new ride!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan & Tom P- Yeah, seems like a lot of people like that stuff on glass. Might have to pick some up some day. I`d still have to be very careful using it for this one though.

Bill D- Yeah, that`s one of the things I was considering. Note that Ketch didn`t suggest it :think:

epbsivicsi- Hey Joe! Hope all is well with you, good to see you posting here.

I`ve never been all that impressed with how IPA cleans/strips stuff so I was leaning towards a more potent solvent.

Yeah, getting any polish residue out of that chip (so it can be filled) has me concerned.

The plastic cowl is sealed with Ultimas Tire/Trim Guard Plus. Many applications that took forever to do. I basically did all the exterior plastic that way, cleaned with Griot`s Rubber Prep and then applied the Ultima, and maintained with ValuGard`s Fast Finish. REALLY happy with how that works.

I do *NOT* like UPP on plastic trim, and other than using it up on the S8 I`m not using it any more. Zero protection against etching from bugs/etc.

Since windshield work can be done on-site, I`m OK with, uhm...supervising (I`m sure not shy about intervening when I consider it necessary ).

I`d a little leery of tape residue, but might end up doing that whichever approach I end up using.

John Kleven- As with applying PPF to the car, using the torch is something I`d let *you* do in a heartbeat, but DIYing it..... I fear I`d [mess] things up :nervous:

Brad B.- Well, a (currently still-stock) `08 Crown Vic isn`t much to see, though it is in a kinda cool color; I think it`s called "steel", one of those not-quite-silver hues that can vary depending on the light. Sorta neat looking what with the tinted windows, looks like it`s still in DOJ service.

While I`ve yet to get into the whole digital imaging thing, I have toyed with the idea of documenting the inevitable project I`ll undertake sooner or later. It`s a good candidate for a build, only ~20K miles. I needed a second Crown Vic like a hole in the head, but it`s *that* clean (TX car, minimal "in-service wear") and, well...they`re not making them any more so if I wanted a keeper I figured this was a good one. Nice travel car, hardly comparable to the Audis but I don`t worry much about leaving it in parking lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider Autoglym glass polish. Might do the trick.

Thread Information