Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, this is the sixth episode in a series of videos I`m making called Thrifty vs Fifty.

Essentially I`m comparing two products that can do the same function: one with a low price tag and the other with a high one... and to see if the added price is worth it. Hence, the thrifty vs fifty.

I`m not just going around finding the cheapest and most expensive options out there and comparing them. In my eyes, that comparison would be useless. I am comparing two products that people on forums have highly recommended for a certain task and then if they have big enough different price points, making a video comparison.

Today`s episode is on glass cleaners.

Meguiar`s D120 Glass Cleaner Concentrate vs Stoner`s Invisible Glass Cleaner!

Meguiar`s Glass Cleaner vs Invisible Glass Cleaner - Thrifty vs Fifty Episode 6 - YouTube

Hope you enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the review. I`ve been buying the Stoners for a while now, but I`ll give the Meg`s product a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to see/use a glass cleaner that didn`t do what is was intended for. Cleaning glass properly comes down to doing things right. Dedicated towels, working from corner to corner, body placement, lighting and when to swap out for a new towel.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    The HD 50:1 glass cleaner is some of the best I`ve used over the years--I find that after the first wipe it leaves a slight haze that is easily felt with the towel so that by just using a second towel you can feel when the haze is removed as the glass becomes very slick--this makes it very easy to clean windows even without the correct light without producing smears--mixing it with distilled water it ends up costing about .28 per oz--not a bad deal-and even less expensive when you purchase the larger than 16 oz bottle of concentrate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Camaro, what if I told you I bought many $.98 bottles of Stoner`s spray when AAP had it on close-out?

Smell or odor is hugely subjective. I really like the D120 overall, but don`t care for the odor. Way too strong for me.

I think you could have added a third cleaning solution to this comparison: water

The Meg`s D120 is clearly a commecial product and I would expect it to be priced at a "bulk" level.

While this type of product is so inexpensive, I just care about which has the cleaning punch I`m looking for on the inside of the windshield. That`s the challenging task and the D120 is the winner.

As David notes, cleaning technique dictates how good the finished product is going to look.

Camaro, have you ever reviewed the "Bill D" cleaning technique where the water blade is used? It`s a strategy worth having in your back pocket.

Do "we" generally clean the exterior glass following a weekly wash with glass cleaner? I rarely do unless there is bug residue or some other nasty that needs to be dealt with.

Post Thanks / Like
    for someone who does this full time it would make sense to buy the megs cleaner. i rarely use glass cleaners these days except for the inside (tint), and end up using a QD/spray wax on the exterior when i`m wiping down the paint as well, so one can of IG will last a long time (i don`t like un-used product sitting around for a long time). another option would be the 3D glass cleaner which dilutes even more than the megs...

Car Windshield Glass Cleaner – 50 to 1 Glass Cleaner | 3D Products

Highly concentrated, ethanol based glass cleaner. 1 gallon makes 50 gallons of Ready-to-Use Glass Cleaner.

Does not contain amonia

Will remove oils and smoke from windshield and mirrors

Removes bugs,

Streak-free results

Will make the windows sparkling clean

VOC Compliant

Formulated with green and biodegradable surfactants

Post Thanks / Like
    All I use are QD sprays. I haven`t used a glass cleaner in years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.

Camaro, have you ever reviewed the "Bill D" cleaning technique where the water blade is used? It`s a strategy worth having in your back pocket.

Using this technique more or less eliminates streaking still left behind from cleaning glass only with cleaner and MFs. This technique is especially handy on windshields. You need a quality glass cleaner, a dedicated sponge, the California Water Blade and dedicated MFs I use surgical huck cloths and WW MFs most often.

Spray the glass, agitate with the cleaner, then squeegee away the cleaner in lines in overlapping rows. Use the cloth to blot the excess. I use this technique on interior glass as well. The biggest draw back I encounter is dripping, excess dripping sometimes, but nothing I cant blot up.

The cleaners I use are the Megs and the HD both mentioned here.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill D
    The biggest draw back I encounter is dripping, excess dripping sometimes, but nothing I cant blot up.

I cover the dashboard with large MF WW drying towels so the excess glass cleaner is immediately absorbed and really nothing to clean up after that.

Thread Information