Post Thanks / Like
    I was interested in the 3m headlight restoration kit for a drill. The headlights on my 2002 accord are of a crystal clear plastic. They are still mostly crystal clear, but upon inspection, there is some whitish oxidation along the top and in certain spots. I am afraid to try a restoration kit because I feel while these kits help, they may also diminish the appearance of the part of the lens that is in good condition. Has anyone ever used it before on a lens that was not entirely cloudy, or yellow? What do you think of the 3m Headlight restoration kit?

Also, should a product be used afterwords to ``seal`` the plastic in a sense, and protect it from anymore discoloring or oxidation?

I have tried the blue magic headlight lens restorer and it didn`t do a darn thing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d look at applying Plexus every week following your wash routine. That might buy you some time.

I, too, might feel some apprehension about starting in with the kit unless it was absolutely needed...

Post Thanks / Like
    the 3m kit is the best consumer kit out there IMO. use it but dont use the low grit paper they provide, start with 1000 or so. I`d recommend you get some 1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper though and wet sand with that before using the Trizac pad in the kit (highest grit in kit). The plastic polish provided will then take everything back to crystal clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your lights/lenses are just beginning to show a little cloudiness, try Megs PlastX. Worked great for me, inexpensive, easy to find and use. If you ever have to sand your lenses you`ll need it anyway, but I`d put off sanding until it`s absolutely necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 for trying plastX first. If you have a DA just use the plastX with that. It`s never given me a problem honestly...

For bad ones I usually just wet sand up to 3k then uno followed by speed to be completely honest... But I don`t do them all that often either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Will try the PlastX. And that protects it from further uv damage, or whatever causes it to haze, yellow etc as well as clean or would this http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ht-protectant/ have to be applied afterword?

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a write up on here if you search about what to apply do protection when done. At least I think it was on here... It may have been on a HID retrofitting forum I`m a member of lol. If you find nothin I here google it. I believe the most effective one involves paint thinner and clear coat...

Post Thanks / Like
    used the PlastX today and was happy with it. It removed most of the light oxidation that was beginning to form on my headlights. Some light scratches and oxidation remains but it is much better than it was. A lot of scrubbing and doing it multiple times was required however, but I am happy with the outcome so far. Now to see how long it protects it and if it comes back.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t believe Plastx leaves much, if any UV protection. Starting out with wetsanding would have made the process go quicker and smoother because essentially you would have removed the cloudiness and yellow haze with the sandpaper quicker than the plastx did. The PlastX would have just polished out the sanding marks from the sandpaper.

Good thing to know for next time, glad you got it straightened out though! Now go find some UV protection to prevent (or hold off at least) new oxidation from occurring!:2thumbs:

Post Thanks / Like
    It was so light and didn`t cover the entire headlight, that it was recommended I try the PlastX alone. I was afraid wet sanding and polish would look different than the original factory plastic. Came out great unless you look real close at a few spots. Will keep that in mind tho if it worsens. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I`ve noticed that no matter what the lens looked like after it was polished. May use 205, or PlastX and it`ll look pretty good, but as soon as you apply the Megs Headlight Protection UV coating it takes some of that `sparkle` away from it. The first time I did it I didn`t realize *that* was causing it. Maybe not paying attention, maybe tired... who knows. The next time I finished both lights then applied the protectant to one and not to the other and it was very noticeable.

Way back when I picked up a couple of the OTC headlight kits, one was the Megs kit with the drill fittings. Finally broke down and bought the full Meguiar`s Pro Headlight & Spot Repair kit (without tools) that has all the Unigrit discs from 320 to 3000 grit, (couple hundred of them) as well as 2 sets of the Megs 4" pads, (all three cuts) plus a pair of wool pads, hand buffers, bag, 105/205, even a couple of 3" backing plates in it. Great little kit for both spot repair and headlights that keeps me from having to dig out this and that when doing spot repairs.
    Later, Cardaddy / aka Tony

Thread Information