Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Everyone,

Last year I bought my first car that will pretty much be a toy. I`ll bring it out in nice weather and I`ll put it away for the winter. So I`m a little lost on how to care for it. Most cars I`ve taken care of have been daily drivers. I`m just not sure on how often I should wax, polish and so on. I would like to touch the car the least amount possible because its black...Dunt-Dun-Done. Here`s where I`m at currently....

I bought the car last October. It was not touched by the dealer so when I got it I did the ABC system wash, light polish, sealed it with Wolfgang 3.0 ,and finished it off with a few coats of Natty blue. After about 250 miles and a few washes, I put it away for the winter. Last weekend I pulled it out and did a foam wash and dried it. Again trying not to touch it. So my question is, should I polish it again and reseal? OR just continue washing until the natty wears off and just apply more till the fall? I`m just a little confused on how to care for a care that doesn`t get too dirty...well not too dirty for a black car.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Natty`s, even being one of the least durable waxes, will last forever on a garage queen. Don`t fix what is not broken, and certainly don`t polish for no reason. If you don`t like the looks of Natty`s, do a strong wash and apply something else on top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Djulin- Agree with Dan, don`t polish it unless/until it gets marred to the point that you really need to. Just wash it and refresh the LSP as needed (preferably *before* that`s really needed).

I generally don`t even clay my garage-queens before re-LSPing unless they pick up some contamination.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a garage queen, and all I have done since purchase (from new) was some Iron-X, a light claybar and a coat of Zaino AIO. It never sees rain or snow, so I think that is more than enough protection and pop for weekend duty.

Asif

Post Thanks / Like
    good suggestions thus far. I`ll throw out my experience.

the polish job you`ve done I would imagine to last a few years if you only wash once every 2-3 months, are meticulous about your wash technique, and if only driven in nice weather/no pollen, etc then this should be fine.

keep a good sealant on and the LSP lasts 6-8months easily (i use menzerna power lock), top with a good wax too, and a good spray wax (optimum car wax) when you do your washes

get a battery tender quick connect attached to your battery and maintain your battery every 2-3 weeks if not being driven regularly (by this I mean connect battery tender until charged and disconnect. I don`t leave the tender connected 100% of the time only because I don`t think it`s the best idea.

if parking for more than a month top up gas tank and add sta-bil.

winter storage I generally put a big tarp under car (to prevent moisture from coming thru concrete on to undercarriage), gas tank full + add stabil, make sure it`s washed before going in. some people say to disconnect battery and shut doors just enough for latch to engage but not shut all the way to reduce rubber seal compression. some also use those tire no-flat-spot things.

do make sure if you have mice/rodents not to allow them in the car through doors, etc.

look for spiders building webs as well in the car.

Thread Information