Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I`m new to the detailing world. Just bought a new Focus ST and want it to be spotless. So this past weekend, I did a wash with Zymol wash, clayed the car with Mothers clay, polished with meguiars deep crystal polish, and then waxed with NXT 2.0. Now I know these aren`t high end products but I do have great results. Now here`s my question, I just found out about Collinite 845, and for me living in New Jersey, and my car being a daily driver, parked outside 24-7, I figured this would be a 100 times better for durability. I just did NXT with the rest of the process previously stated last Sunday, and I want to apply the Collinite 845 this Saturday. Since I already clayed the car, should I polish again, and then apply Collinite over everything, or do I just wash the car and apply Collinite 845 over the NXT? I`m a bit confused where to begin here, so hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can apply 845 over NXT. Durability might be slightly impacted, but I wouldn`t worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    You can apply 845 over NXT. Durability might be slightly impacted, but I wouldn`t worry about it.
    But after I apply this over NXT, I should just stick with one?

Post Thanks / Like

No need to make more work for yourself. My guess is you won`t wait long enough for the durability to be an issue by your next waxing/sealing. It will at least buy you some time until you have great weather for spending a little extra time doing another light polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree

No need to make more work for yourself. My guess is you won`t wait long enough for the durability to be an issue by your next waxing/sealing. It will at least buy you some time until you have great weather for spending a little extra time doing another light polish.
    Well I`m not sure if I should use a type of polish to remove the NXT and then apply Collinite, or will the Collinite bond just fine over top.

Post Thanks / Like
    The type of polish you are using will impact the bonding of 845 more than the NXT. Deep crystal is loaded with oils. NXT has cleaners that most likely removed those oils. Re-polishing isn`t going to do anything for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    The type of polish you are using will impact the bonding of 845 more than the NXT. Deep crystal is loaded with oils. NXT has cleaners that most likely removed those oils. Re-polishing isn`t going to do anything for you.
    Well that`s why I am going to switch to something like Meg`s Ultimate Polish from now on, unless you have something else you use that`s better for what I`m looking for. I`m just going to give the car a good wash and apply Collinite 845 this weekend, being like you said, another polish won`t have any positive impact.

Post Thanks / Like
    xLogan108- I responded to this on the other thread.

IME 845 works fine over all kinds of things and oughta bond to the NXT without problems.

When I used NXT over an easy-to-strip product, it did *not* strip it. IMO the cleaning abilities of NXT aren`t as potent as many might think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    xLogan108- I responded to this on the other thread.

IME 845 works fine over all kinds of things and oughta bond to the NXT without problems.

When I used NXT over an easy-to-strip product, it did *not* strip it. IMO the cleaning abilities of NXT aren`t as potent as many might think.
    Haha I just replied to it. But thank you. Since it`s been a week, do you recommend not doing another polish before applying, like others have stated above? Just do a good wash and apply Collinite?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xLogan108
    .. Since it`s been a week, do you recommend not doing another polish before applying, like others have stated above? Just do a good wash and apply Collinite?

Noting that I`m *NOT* a fan of that Deep Crystal Polish, it oughta still be "sealed in" by the NXT so I wouldn`t complicate things. I would just wash the car and apply the 845.

BTW, that DC polish is exactly the kind of product I wash thinking about when I said I don`t think much of NXT being a cleaner. While application method can make a big diff, if you applied NXT over the DC polish withing stripping the latter, then there wasn`t much cleaning going on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Noting that I`m *NOT* a fan of that Deep Crystal Polish, it oughta still be "sealed in" by the NXT so I wouldn`t complicate things. I would just wash the car and apply the 845.

BTW, that DC polish is exactly the kind of product I wash thinking about when I said I don`t think much of NXT being a cleaner. While application method can make a big diff, if you applied NXT over the DC polish withing stripping the latter, then there wasn`t much cleaning going on.
    Right, thats what I`m hearing. But on the other hand, couldn`t I just use Griot`s Garage Paint Prep to remove the wax, and then skip the polish step (being I did it last week) and apply the Collinite 845 as my wax/sealant? That way there would be no worries about bonding to the NXT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xLogan108
    Right, thats what I`m hearing. But on the other hand, couldn`t I just use Griot`s Garage Paint Prep to remove the wax, and then skip the polish step (being I did it last week) and apply the Collinite 845 as my wax/sealant? That way there would be no worries about bonding to the NXT.

Sure, you could do that. But I think to myself "why?"

*I* wouldn`t do that as it`d be a lot more work that might not accomplish anything (desirable). I don`t think there`s *anything at all* wrong with having the DC polish and the NXT on there, and that stuff might be concealing some flaws that will be more visible if you only have the 845.

Applying the 845 will only take a few minutes, so I`d just do that and see what happens. But then some people *like* doing this detailing stuff; I just want the car to look good while I`m getting on with the rest of my life

Thread Information