Post Thanks / Like
    hey everyone looking for some adivice on proper products for cleaning a fire engine with neglected diamond plate. i know its going to be a pita to get it all polished up, i ve read where some people used acid wash on the metal? if so where do u get it? also on the inside whats the best product to use? everytime i try and scrub it and rinse it out it still looks dirty so any help would be fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where`s DaGonz?!? He oughta be all over this one.

Welcome to Autopia, ffmedic :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Diamond plate can be polished, however, that is all one is doing.

In a month or so, the dull condition will return if not "acidized`, due to the "porus" surface of such aluminum.

Using a "dangerous" and getting hard to obtain, acid` will clean into the pores and do something very important.

The use of it will "densify/compact" the top mil or two of the aluminum`s surface.

Which results in the aluminum taking a gloss easier and since it is more dense, will last longer.

Everytime the aluminum, is first acid washed and polished, the "denser" the aluminum`s top substrate becomes. After 3 or 4 of such acid washes and polishing, the plate is dense down to 3 or more mils.

There are variables, but those are more in aircraft type of aluminum used, due to the alloy`s of such.

The diamond plate can be "shined" as stated, however there are many things to be taken in to consideration when doing such work.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the welcome been a long time lurker lol finally joined

Post Thanks / Like
    i know its a lot of work but i like taking pride in my rigs and i am willing to put in the work. where can i obtain the acid wash? I`ve tried researching stuff but nothing looked that promising.

Post Thanks / Like
    David on the deep blue polish would i apply and work in with my rotary with wool pads ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to find the actual acid because the companies have been removing it from the marketplace the past few years due to the extreme health issues with it.

hydrofluric acid

You might be able to find some still around, is a blend of hf and sulfuric or hf and phospuric, they refer to it wheel acid or wheel brightener.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Hard to find the actual acid because the companies have been removing it from the marketplace the past few years due to the extreme health issues with it.

hydrofluric acid

You might be able to find some still around, is a blend of hf and sulfuric or hf and phospuric, they refer to it wheel acid or wheel brightener.

I`m guessing that one would have to be a bit careful about getting that on surrounding surfaces, such as paint, huh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Fire trucks are done in a two part expoxy, just rinse off any that gets on it, don`t let it dry.

I am wondering if the new ProGard Truck and Trailer wash will work to clean the plate without the dangers.

Suggest he take a look on the ValuGard.net website to check out the product.

If he is doing a lot of diamond plate, will need a rotary buffer that spins at least 3,000 RPM, and several 8 inch sewn cotton buffing wheels and at least two roughes. English Polishing has all he needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a rotary buffer so just need the pads and polish i know its a lot of work but its worth it in the end. ill check out some of these other products you have mentioned thanks for all the reply`s guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the English Polishing site is some great information on how to do various metals, as well as professional supplies.

englishcustompolishing.com

Thread Information