Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys,

I just got the hood bra and the bumper bra since this summer. The hood bra was used and in average condition and the bumper bra was brand new. I removed the hood bra every time I clean the car and never seen the discoloration for many months. I use some times Meguiar`s protectant for glossy look. But I also used mostly 303 Aerospace Protectant. I apply the bra cleaning stuffs with the bra already on the car.

The weather has been cold and wet lately with a bit of rain in SoCal. Today was a little cold but very dry and beautiful sunny out. So I decided to clean the car. As the take the hood bra off to remove the debris from below on the hood, I found some darken discoloration just the front part of the hood. I have some pics below to show you guys. Here`s what I have done to try to remove it:

-Clay the area with Meguiar`s quick detailer. That did not work.

-Some clothes washing detergent mixed with water and that did not work.

-So I just clean the area with water and apply Rejex to keep the clear coat protected until I find another solution.

I would like to know what is the best and easy way to remove it? Polish or what other kind of cleaning could I use?

I have Meguiar`s ultimate compound, squirl X and scratch X. These are some what harsh but I have them.

Here is what I wonder: What could have caused that to happen? What could I do now to prevent this from happening other than removing the bra completely b/c the freeway are full of debris that chip my hood. I DO NOT have a DA polisher so I have to do every thing by hands.

Thanks. And here`s some pics of the discolorations. If you guys need more photos, I could try to take more. The discolorations are hard to see unless real close up. It looks like after polishing and rewax, it has a hazy white layer over it. I can see this haze when the sun is shinny and very bright during the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    You DO understand that the paint is a basecoat/clearcoat?

That the "darkening" is in the "basecoat"?

That the clearcoat is a "clear coating" over the "basecoat" which is the color of the Honda?

No polishing or such is going to get through the "clearcoat" unless you remove it entirely to get to the basecoat?

Live with it or keep "polishing" to the point that you will remove excessive clearcoat and experience premature clearcoat failure.

Unless you want to have it refinished by a body shop , just give it time with bra not on the vehicle.

Over time, with direct UV exporsure, it may even back out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    You DO understand that the paint is a basecoat/clearcoat?

That the "darkening" is in the "basecoat"?

That the clearcoat is a "clear coating" over the "basecoat" which is the color of the Honda?

No polishing or such is going to get through the "clearcoat" unless you remove it entirely to get to the basecoat?

Live with it or keep "polishing" to the point that you will remove excessive clearcoat and experience premature clearcoat failure.

Unless you want to have it refinished by a body shop , just give it time with bra not on the vehicle.

Over time, with direct UV exporsure, it may even back out.

Thank you, that is what I thought. Right now both of the bras are off during the winter season when it rains the most.

The only question I have is would leaving the bra on for a week during a one day rain would do this? The week before that I removed the hood bra and wash, clean, and rewax with Rejex and no discoloration then. So even with a layer of wax on it, one day of rain would do it?

My other question is, beside the discoloration, there seem to be a white haze on top of it, is this part of the discoloration or some thing else that I could correct?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Moisture entrapment, and possibly some of that 303 as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those bras where not intended to be left on 24/7. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Moisture entrapment, and possibly some of that 303 as well.

I think it`s the 303 more so than the moisture due to the short time.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    303 is a waterborne dressing, aprox 70%+ water in the product.

Post Thanks / Like
    303 is a waterborne dressing, aprox 70%+ water in the product.

Not sure the reason for the info you have given. However, would that mean the 303 might be the cause?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be part of the "white haze" you see, or it may be just normal moisture entrapment.

303 and such dressings are a polyaminosiloxane resin using water as the carrier.

The water evaporates and leaves a short term `dressing" on the surface.

Enough heat, the paint film expands, and as the evaporation and migration take place with the water, some of the resin may enter the paint film.

Post Thanks / Like
    It may be part of the "white haze" you see, or it may be just normal moisture entrapment.

303 and such dressings are a polyaminosiloxane resin using water as the carrier.

The water evaporates and leaves a short term `dressing" on the surface.

Enough heat, the paint film expands, and as the evaporation and migration take place with the water, some of the resin may enter the paint film.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Hopefully with the bra off the sun and UV might back out the discoloration. My car looks really shiny from a far but if you come near or look closely you`ll see that nasty discoloration. I have no money to repaint plus the clear coat is still in great shape for a 22 year old car.

Post Thanks / Like
    A wet bra will discolor the paint in a fairly short period of time and treating it on the car with a production that is 70% water, therefore wetting the bra, I am sure is Ron`s point.

Edit, never mind! Ron already replied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys think that the Meguiar`s ultimate compound left the white hazing that I see? I read around and some say that UC does that. Maybe I should polish it. It rained last night so I`ll leave the job for next week.

Thanks.

Thread Information