Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who does it and why?

Who doesn`t and why?

Example:

Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the foam for my soap review videos because it look cool.... :banplease:

The one time I have found foaming to be useful is when I am trying to help strip off an LSP. A good strong soap like CG CW&G + some APC usually does the trick and helps the process along...

Post Thanks / Like
    I only foam for 2 reasons.

1. If the car has a thick film layer of dirt. Only useful if you have a pressure washer IMO.

2. To help strip lsp.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had a Gilmour foamer and a G-blast. IMO foaming is a waste of time and money if you have a pressure washer. It isn`t exactly great for the environment. Even with a strong hose, the abrasives you need to worry about, sand and dirt wash off easily. The grime/road film will not wash off with regular soap. Only very harsh chemicals or a wash mitt/sponge will remove that film. So with that in mind, what exactly is foam good for?

It does look cool, can`t deny that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I consider it a waste of product and one unnecessary step, a Pre Wash using a good Fire Hose Nozzle Type or pressure washer, makes all the difference in the world.
    Turbo Wax Products
    www.turbowax.com

Detailing services in the Ft.Lauderdale area.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I can`t wash marring-free without a foamgun (I often go through over a gallon of ~1:20 shampoo mix with the foamguns in the course of a regular wash), that kind of "conventional foaming" is something I only use as a presoak, and I consider it to be of relatively minimal importance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll do it on my own car and occasionally to strip LSP or remove polishing oils on a clients car. I have no data to prove that it actually helps loosens dirt, but I do believe it helps. (I often mix some OPC in with my soap)

...and I love the looks I get when people drive by!

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks cool and attracts customers. Other than that, it`s utterly useless. Foaming doesn`t work, people just have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.

Those that strip paint always do so with APC or a strong soap. BUT, I`ve found that pre-spraying with a 2-gallon pump sprayer with some OPC/APC is much more effective, cost efficient and faster. It just doesn`t look as cool as it would coming out of a foam gun.
    If you don`t know the answer, ask the question. The worst that can happen is that you find out the answer.

San Diego`s Professional Detailer

www.SanDiegoDetailer.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides being a waste, I market alot as being eco-friendly, so I couldn`t see all that foam along with everything else coming off the car fitting in with what I do. I do alot in apartment and condo complexes that don`t normally let people wash their cars due to runoff so I doubt they would be too keen on all that foamy runoff either.

It does look cool though!
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I foam to strip LSPs when I am going to be reapplying. It is also attention getting, thus good for visibility. It is also useful for cleaning in crevices and seams that are otherwise impossible to get to. As good as Rinseless washing is it I don`t see it completely eliminating the need for a good, high pressure wash. Dirt gets behind trim, into mirror housings, in roof rail seams, etc. that rinseless washes fail to reach. While I have the foam dwelling I use a small, soft brush for cleaning these areas. You`d be amazed at how much dirt often comes pouring out of these areas when the pressure washer rinses away the foam. (Most noticeable on white vehicles.) This dirt is often what causes the "candling" that is often visible on white vehicles under the side mirrors and door handles from rain running into those areas and dislodging the dirt.

Rinseless is great for routine maintenance washes and when regular, high-pressure washing isn`t an option. But I will never get away completely from high pressure, foaming washes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I won`t use foam unless I`m preparing for paint correction/coating. I`ll foam it up, brush cracks and crevices, rinse and then continue my normal wash cycle.

-Kody-
    New Image Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Grasa
    Besides being a waste, I market alot as being eco-friendly, so I couldn`t see all that foam along with everything else coming off the car fitting in with what I do. I do alot in apartment and condo complexes that don`t normally let people wash their cars due to runoff so I doubt they would be too keen on all that foamy runoff either.

It does look cool though!

Even though I promote Eco-Friendly, I also promote the best option for detailing as stated below by Nth Degree...

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree
    I foam to strip LSPs when I am going to be reapplying. It is also attention getting, thus good for visibility. It is also useful for cleaning in crevices and seams that are otherwise impossible to get to. As good as Rinseless washing is it I don`t see it completely eliminating the need for a good, high pressure wash. Dirt gets behind trim, into mirror housings, in roof rail seams, etc. that rinseless washes fail to reach. While I have the foam dwelling I use a small, soft brush for cleaning these areas. You`d be amazed at how much dirt often comes pouring out of these areas when the pressure washer rinses away the foam. (Most noticeable on white vehicles.) This dirt is often what causes the "candling" that is often visible on white vehicles under the side mirrors and door handles from rain running into those areas and dislodging the dirt.

Rinseless is great for routine maintenance washes and when regular, high-pressure washing isn`t an option. But I will never get away completely from high pressure, foaming washes.

When I`m at home, where my neighbors know I`m a detailer, I don`t foam unless I want pictures . I foam when away from the house, which when combined with my wash mat is like a customer magnet!

I had stopped doing regular washing, but after coming back to a few customer that I regularly ONR, there were too many "candles" as you call them on the cars. I let a lot of ONR drip and use a NOMAD sprayer the first wash, but it doesn`t work as well as a pressure washer. When I would blow out crevices after an ONR wash, I would still get dirt. With the pressure washer, it`s almost always just water, maybe a little soap.
    If you don`t know the answer, ask the question. The worst that can happen is that you find out the answer.

San Diego`s Professional Detailer

www.SanDiegoDetailer.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Quenga
    Even though I promote Eco-Friendly, I also promote the best option for detailing as stated below by Nth Degree...

If you promote "the best option for detailing" or what Nth Degree stated, which is foaming, why did you call foaming utterly useless in your previous reply? Or am I just reading it wrong?

Foam and a pressure washer is not the only way to get dirt out of cracks and crevices. It certainly speeds up the process, but not the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Quenga
    It looks cool and attracts customers. Other than that, it`s utterly useless. Foaming doesn`t work, people just have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it.
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually manufacture these sorts of things over here in UK/Ireland where foams are very popular. However, from a read of the comments, I am not sure the actual chemical make up of our products is the same. Over here, snow foams are basically the least aggressive of the prewash products and would definitely not be used specifically for stripping LSP. Some products are nastier and bunged full of caustics so could be used for this but it also makes them corrosive so I personally do not recommend their use unless working with commercial vehicles (basically they are equivalent to heavy duty traffic film removers). For me, snowfoams are more a novelty and realistically they just aren`t good at dealing with heavy levels of soiling. If you need cleaning power, the next step up is the prewash products which you will dilute and spray with a garden type pressurised sprayer. These are a good compromise before moving into the stronger alkaline and then caustic TFRs (which will often strip much of the LSP).

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kakeuter
    I won`t use foam unless I`m preparing for paint correction/coating. I`ll foam it up, brush cracks and crevices, rinse and then continue my normal wash cycle.

-Kody-

Boom. Nail head meet hammer.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information