Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I`ve had a Gilmour foamer and a G-blast. IMO foaming is a waste of time and money if you have a pressure washer. It isn`t exactly great for the environment. Even with a strong hose, the abrasives you need to worry about, sand and dirt wash off easily. The grime/road film will not wash off with regular soap. Only very harsh chemicals or a wash mitt/sponge will remove that film. So with that in mind, what exactly is foam good for?

It does look cool, can`t deny that.
    So you don`t believe that using foam as a pre-soak will loosen the grime and make washing with a mitt easier?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    What ratio water to Dawn do you use???

"Big squirt of Dawn in the bucket", "awfully strong", something like that. I do it by eye and I use a lot, enough that the rinsing is a bit of a PIA.

Dawn simply isn`t all that potent a LSP-stripper IME so more is better.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [Dawn simply isn`t all that potent a LSP-stripper...] most paint protection products are formulated to be detergent resistant. I’m not trying to be argumentative FWIW I’ve never agreed with Sal Zaino on this either
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    [Dawn simply isn`t all that potent a LSP-stripper...] most paint protection products are formulated to be detergent resistant. I’m not trying to be argumentative FWIW I’ve never agreed with Sal Zaino on this either

I agree 100% with this statement and I believe most with a `chemical background` will concur. I have posted on the matter elsewhere and believe much of the difficulty lies with a failure to completely remove the `stickier` surfactants which are relatively common in cleaning products. My own testing has repeatedly shown that so called `stripper` detergents will appear to leave a water loving (no beading) surface but this characteristic is often removed with a more thorough pressurised wash resulting in the surface regaining the former, `beading` character. As I say, I have argued this at length and have never had an acceptable chemical explanation to support the supposed stripping capacity of numerous pH neutral, mild surfactant blends used at low levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    How about something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash which is very popular for stripping wax/sealants?? Is that any more effective than Dawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some good replies in here. I as I am sure everyone else is grateful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a waste of soap, but some love it and believe in it so.... To each their own.

I truly feel like a good, thorough low pressure rinse does the same job.

In my new Perfect Wash video I foam the car because I wanted everything that is possible to not install marring to be a part of the Perfect process.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto - Boat - RV - Motorcycle - Aircraft
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Dean
    .... I wanted everything that is possible to not install marring to be a part of the Perfect process.

Isn`t that the whole point of foaming to begin with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJayV10
    Isn`t that the whole point of foaming to begin with?

My point, exactly.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto - Boat - RV - Motorcycle - Aircraft
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy99
    So you don`t believe that using foam as a pre-soak will loosen the grime and make washing with a mitt easier?

Not if you`re using a power-washer 1st. You could have 6 inches of foam on a dirty non-pre-blasted car and use the softest mitt possible...it still isn`t going to compare to 1st blasting all the abrasives off instead. It might buffer things up a tiny little bit if all things are equal, but it doesn`t substitute a high pressure pre-rinse.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a waste of soap, but some love it and believe in it so.... To each their own.

I truly feel like a good, thorough low pressure rinse does the same job.

In my new Perfect Wash video I foam the car because I wanted everything that is possible to not install marring to be a part of the Perfect process.

My point, exactly.

It seems you are contradicting yourself. Am I just reading it wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Not if you`re using a power-washer 1st. You could have 6 inches of foam on a dirty non-pre-blasted car and use the softest mitt possible...it still isn`t going to compare to 1st blasting all the abrasives off instead. It might buffer things up a tiny little bit if all things are equal, but it doesn`t substitute a high pressure pre-rinse.
    I`m comparing a foam gun to just washing with a mitt and not a pressure washer. The title was "To Foam or not to Foam" not to foam or pressure wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m comparing a foam gun to just washing with a mitt and not a pressure washer. The title was "To Foam or not to Foam" not to foam or pressure wash.

It might help if you explained that? And you also replied to Dan`s comment who was referring to pressure washing and who`s comments I agree with.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like

Does that title preclude anyone from posting anything that relates? IMO a pressure washer an essential tool in scratch free washing.

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a pressure washer in all washes. Foaming is a here and there depending on what feels right for the situation. But I do feel like there is a difference in the types of contaminants that are removed from just blasting the surface with a PW`er and using chemicals that will break down, for example, bugs or tar. There is a fine line between using pressurized water to remove surface dirt and being, in my opinion, too aggressive with using pressurized water to blast hard baked on garbage off. There is a recurring nightmare of doing the latter on a front bumper and watching the clean peel from getting to close/aggressive.

Like a lot of situations in detailing, I don`t believe there is an absolute yes or no to replacing foam with pw`er. I think they should both have a place in your arsenal for when the time comes.
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information