Post Thanks / Like
    I’m asking posting here because I know there are a couple of paint gurus who might be able to answer my questions.

I recently had a deer "incident" with my Dodge Ram pickup that required hood and front end repair. Both the hood and one fender each had a small dent. Neither required replacement...just a bit if a "massage", primer and repaint. However, the truck required a new headlight, grill, bumper, oil coolers, radiator, radiator supports, etc....about a $6500 repair.

I took the truck to a "high-end" shop noted for its great work.

Previous to the repair, I talked to the shop owner about the numerous dust nibs that I removed after delivery of the truck (79 of them). His comment was..."that`s a bunch". That caught his attention so he and one of his techs really checked out the factory paint as they were doing the repair.

In doing the hood and fender repair, the tech found several layers of paint from the factory...original e-coat, primer, base coat, clear coat and then another layer of base coat and clear coat. Apparently the whole front clip had been repainted and then re-cleared. Because I had dust nibs in every panel except the tailgate, possibly the whole truck was re-cleared. There are no masking lines, etc. anywhere to be found. The shop owner said the truck was probably pulled off the line before the glass, etc. was installed. He also said that the truck should have never passed quality control with the number of nibs that were in the paint. Oh, they found a few more nibs that I missed.

I am very sure that this was not a dealer repair.... I ordered the truck and was at the dealer a half an hour after it was unloaded from the transport.

This is not a whine. (I`m over that.) It`s more or less sharing a bit of information and asking a question or two. Has anyone else run into anything like this? How does the factory handle paint issues on the assembly line?

By the way, the shop owner said that I did a darn good job leveling the nibs and then polishing out the wet sanding marring.
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, on the truck, somewhere, is a sticker that states what country or plant, where it was assembled.

Where was it assembled, as that does make a difference, as well as what month and year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    First, on the truck, somewhere, is a sticker that states what country or plant, where it was assembled.

Where was it assembled, as that does make a difference, as well as what month and year.

Warren Truck Assembly Plant -- February 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, interesting as that plant usually has a great paint line.

What apparently took place is not common place these days.

All USA manufacturers will re-run a "white" body back through base and clear if there are a pre-determined number of dust nibs or even "fish-eyes" when they leave the final bake.

Not sure what the mil build limit is for Chrysler these days, however in the mid to late 90`s, Ford and Chrysler would re-run a body until the paint film build was at 17/18 mil, and if not correct, the body was scrapped.

Not as common these days for that to happen in USA, some other plants in less developed countries, more of it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I wonder what problems I may have in the future with the "abundance" of paint on my Ram. The body shop used Spies Hecker® Permahyd® Hi-TEC waterborne base coat followed by their urethane clear coat....1 1/2 coat process for each. The shop owner doesn`t expect any problems with the repair and of course there is a guarantee. This shop is the first shop (and now one of two) in Nebraska to use this paint and process. Sure hope it works. Oh, the truck is white if that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    There shouldn`t be a concern if they did the prep work correctly.

Or, and we don`t know if they took mil reading before starting the repair, or how much paint film was removed during the repair, as excessive film build "may" result in some cracking a ways down the road.

Not common, but, just a something to consider should it ever take place.

If you ever get a chance do a few ETG readings on the truck.

Oh, and "white body" is the vehicle before any painting or assembly, it`s just a term they use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again.

Thread Information