Post Thanks / Like
    A client of mine picked up a Dinan modified BMW X5. She had it for 6 months before calling me and the wheels were a freaking disaster. With the upgraded brakes, this truck pukes brake dust. I decided for her that we were going to Opti Coat the wheels. Well, I pulled the wheels and properly prepped and coated them with Opti Coat about 8 weeks ago and then purposely kept putting this client off so I could let the brake dust build up. This truck is a daily driver for her as well as taxi-ing the kids around. After two months there was a nice layer of brake dust accumulated. Please excuse the poor pics as it was POURING rain out so I used my iPhone instead of dragging out my camera.

Here are the wheels upon arrival. This is one of the fronts.

Before washing, i just swiped my finger across the wheel. Wiped right off.

After cleaning with nothing more than a wheel brush and soap/water. Once. To say I was blown away by how easy the wheels cleaned up would be an understatement. To clean these wheels every two weeks would an absolute joy. Having said that, there were a few tiny black dots of caked on brake dust on the lip of the wheel. Just for fun I used my wheel acid at 3:1. Sprayed it on and wiped it off with virtually no dwell time. After rinsing, the spots were gone and the water was sheeting off those areas as well as the rest of the wheel.

Another pic showing how clean the barrels are. Keep in mind these were hit once with a wheel brush and soap/water. NO WHEEL CLEANER OR APC EVER TOUCHED THESE WHEELS. Even the brake calipers cleaned up with just a light brushing and rinse. Nice

Post Thanks / Like
    BMW brake dust is the worst! I once spent well over 4 hours on a set using strong acid and was never able to get every bit of caked on dust to come off. Amazing how quickly and painlessly they clean up after being Opti-Coated! If this isn`t a great selling point for this product, I don`t know what is!
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Also why you should consider Opti-Coating your whole car!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Outstanding thread, thanks all for joining. I`ll visit often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto, dirt just "wipes off". Haven`t found it to sheet/roll off but this helps ridiculous well for bad vehicles!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Opti Coated my cars. I have thought about the wheels but always figured the chrome would make the dust wipe off just as easy as if they were Opti Coated. Should I re-evaluate this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
    I have Opti Coated my cars. I have thought about the wheels but always figured the chrome would make the dust wipe off just as easy as if they were Opti Coated. Should I re-evaluate this?

Yeah, the OptiCoat will protect the chrome plating and will seal up the (microscopic) pores in it. Good to have a sacrificial coating, even on chrome...consider how a neglected/trashed chrome wheel looks, those tiny "fuzzy spots" that eventually turn into major issues like pitting and rust spots- the chromium plating got compromised (or was imperfect from the git-go), the base metal started to corrode, and at that point the clock is ticking on a complete refinish. That kind of failure probably wouldn`t have happened had it been maintained as if it were "merely paint".

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using OptiCoat on my BMW wheels for a little over a year and it does a great job of not letting the brake dust set on the wheels. Now BMWs are known for their brake dust, so they still need regular cleaning, but the OptiCoat makes the job MUCH easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin
    I`ve been using OptiCoat on my BMW wheels for a little over a year and it does a great job of not letting the brake dust set on the wheels. Now BMWs are known for their brake dust, so they still need regular cleaning, but the OptiCoat makes the job MUCH easier.

That`s what I tell customers. It won`t prevent brake dust from sticking to the wheels but it makes cleaning them a lot easier.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information