Thread: Side business?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am currently a (returning) college student. I live on the GI bill, and am currently unemployed. I would, however, like to start getting some more money to help pay for things. I`ve been tossing around the idea of doing some details, after I play with my car a bit more and get my practice back up.

What I have is: friends in the area, a shop to work out of(I pay monthly rent to a place already that gets me a full auto shop), some materials on hand that I use for my vehicles, the internet, and a very detail oriented attitude when I clean my cars.

I`m not looking to fully support myself by doing this, but a few hundred more a month would help.

Thoughts, comments, concerns with this idea? Any good reads I should look into on this topic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Starts with a business plan, work out the financials, and see if you can make it work. If it won`t work on paper, it won`t work in real life.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you have a passion for detailing, you will be good at it, and if you`re good at something, you can make money doing it. Start with friends and family, and let the word of mouth go out from there. If you`re good, you will have more business than you can handle in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I suppose the first steps to a business plan would be: Services to offer, prices for services, how much I can handle a week/month/etc. Marketing would be friends, family, and maybe facebook/G+. As well as looking into the business license thing.

I`m already paying for the shop, so while it`s not critical to pay for that via this business, it would make my life easier. From reading through the pro section, it seems like a specific definition of what is to be expected is in order.

This is Denver, so even in the winter it gets above freezing all the time while the sun is out, so I can still wash cars outside then, and pull them inside to finish it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Local, albeit a chain, business that offers detailing near me:

A Better Way to Clean | Waterway® Gas & Wash Company - Detail Center

They seem to be including some paint correction on their detail package. I`m thinking of similar services, expect no paint correction right now, and using a better wax or sealant than the spray wax they offer.

I`ve never done a car for money before, so I`m going to do my car and my sister`s car today and see how long it takes, and how much material I use(Subaru Legacy wagon and an Acura TL)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Starts with a business plan, work out the financials, and see if you can make it work. If it won`t work on paper, it won`t work in real life.
    Oh yes! A common mistake made by start up`s are they focus on the "technical" or "passion" for detailing of vehicles.

Professional-make money-detailing, is a BUSINESS and must be approached from that mind set at the start.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Oh yes! A common mistake made by start up`s are they focus on the "technical" or "passion" for detailing of vehicles.

Professional-make money-detailing, is a BUSINESS and must be approached from that mind set at the start.

Grumpy

Yup, a lot of people focus on being an awesome detailer. There are a lot of awesome pro detailers on this forum. None of them are getting rich anytime fast. The few that are branching out, following the market, hiring more employees are. People like Paul Dalton are an anomaly. Focus on being a business man and you`ll get a lot further ahead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can do this, I would recommend after checking on the business side of things and making sure it is feasible, focusing to begin with on more "volume" oriented work, wash and waxes, interior cleaning, before you start taking on a lot of paint correction and "boutique" detailing.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s the plan. No paint correction to start. More basic details at the beginning, expanding as I get more experience.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I did the exterior of my car today(98 Subary Legacy wagon). Took me about 45 minutes to wash(wheels first, then body, wipe down all jambs), then about an hour to clay the whole car(sans wheels), another hour to apply Meguiar`s 7 glaze, and about 45 minutes to finish with Meguiar`s gold class wax. A few more minutes to hit the plastic with Meguiar`s Natural Shine protectant.

Not having done this a ton lately, I think it`s safe to assume I will speed up as I do this more often. How long would you think it should take for such a car, by hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats a really big question, it really depends on condition, and what you are doing to it. For just a wash and wax maybe an hour or more, if you are doing door jambs, wheel wells, degreasing tires, doing polish and wax, it can take hours.

For my exterior packages that include onr wash, wheel and tire cleaning and dressing, wheel well cleaning and dressing, clay, one step polish (sometimes I use an AIO which cuts down on time, then LSP it can take between 2-5 hours depending on size.
    Auto Detailing in Marion, Illinois
    www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHA Mark
    Thats a really big question, it really depends on condition, and what you are doing to it. For just a wash and wax maybe an hour or more, if you are doing door jambs, wheel wells, degreasing tires, doing polish and wax, it can take hours.

For my exterior packages that include onr wash, wheel and tire cleaning and dressing, wheel well cleaning and dressing, clay, one step polish (sometimes I use an AIO which cuts down on time, then LSP it can take between 2-5 hours depending on size.

Thank you for the feedback.

I did my sister`s car today, an 2004 Acura TL. Started with the wheels and wells, dumped the water. Then washed the whole car, use the air to blow out water collection spots, waffle weave dried the car, wiped down all the door jambs, fuel door, trunk and hood edges. That took me right on an hour.

Followed up with claying the car, as it hasn`t been maintained properly. Another hour for that. Also curious here: I`m using Griot`s speed shine for this. After doing my Legacy wagon, and this Acura TL, I`ve gone through a little over half of the 32oz bottle. Is that normal-ish?

After the clay, applied Meguiar`s Tech wax, and that took me around 30 minutes. So the whole thing seems on par with what you just said for that level.

I forgot my good camera, so all I had was my phone camera (which isn`t taking as good of pictures as I would have thought).

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly what I want to know .

Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Speedwagon I think you are a hard person that is nice. You are doing hard work and you are beginner now a days. But I "ll suggest you just continue your struggle and within no time you "ll become a expert. Then you can earn much money which you have expect.
    improving organizational performance

Post Thanks / Like
    So here`s my plan of services right now. I`d like to know what you think about them, and what you think would be a fair price(range) for them:

Basic detail- Hand wash, tire dressing, vacuum, interior surface wipe down, window cleaning, hand wax

Premium detail- Hand wash, clay bar treatment, polish and wax/sealant, vacuum & shampoo carpets and cloth seats, interior surface clean and protect, window cleaning, door jamb & trunk clean and wax, exterior plastic protection

Maintenance detail(for those that have received the premium detail with sealant)- Hand wash, tire dressing, vacuum, interior surface wipe down, window cleaning, exterior plastic protection

Thread Information