Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t you hate when that happens? Ash

Driving home yesterday evening, I went past a recycling place that turns old pallets into wood chips for mulch. And with the red flag warning due to low humidity and high winds, the mountains of wood chips caught fire. I totally blanked on the fact our home was only about 5 miles downwind and what that would mean. This morning I walked out to the car, happy I had done a quick wash and a coat of Ultima Paint Guard+ the evening before, only to see ash-colored spots all over the white paint. I REALLY need to clear enough space in the garage for this car. So, of course the car got another wash.

While I`m here I may as well ask, what`s a good choice these days for a detailing spray and and maybe a waterless wash to keep around? I stepped away from auto detailing for about 15 years due to, well, life, and I only have a few ounces of the gallon of old FK 425 I had sitting around and I`d like to pick up another gallon of detailing spray. It would be for quick touchups and use as a clay lube, which I should probably do again after the fallout of that fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Don`t you hate when that happens? Ash

Ha ha, FK425. I still have most of a gallon of that, I`m not sure it was ever any good, it froze in shipment. I kind of think QD`s were obsoleted by waterless washes and rinseless products that could be mixed at multiple dilutions, along with spray waxes/sealants, but plenty of people still seem to use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ha ha, FK425. I still have most of a gallon of that, I`m not sure it was ever any good, it froze in shipment. I kind of think QD`s were obsoleted by waterless washes and rinseless products that could be mixed at multiple dilutions, along with spray waxes/sealants, but plenty of people still seem to use them.
    Yeah, I`ve noticed there seems to be a dearth of it on the store shelves since I started paying attention in recent weeks. I`m feeling like a lot of my old knowledge is obsolete. LOL! So what are people using for clay lube now? Or what would be a good product to use to mix at different concentrations to accomplish what I`m looking for, as a detailer and a lube. I`d like to put a kit in the trunk for quick cleanups in case of stuff like bird droppings...or ash. I see a bunch of them are claiming they`re ceramic, but that strikes me more as a marketing gimmick.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I`m a little out of the loop also, but a lot has changed in 15 years. Huge improvement in machines, polishes, there are coatings now, lot of ceramic products. As far as the multi-dilution, multi-use products, there are things like Ultima Waterless Wash, Optimum No-Rinse, which were around back then, and newer products like CarPro EcH20 and a myriad of other rinseless wash products. I`m sure other people will chime in with suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobard View Post
    Yeah, I`ve noticed there seems to be a dearth of it on the store shelves since I started paying attention in recent weeks. I`m feeling like a lot of my old knowledge is obsolete. LOL! So what are people using for clay lube now? Or what would be a good product to use to mix at different concentrations to accomplish what I`m looking for, as a detailer and a lube. I`d like to put a kit in the trunk for quick cleanups in case of stuff like bird droppings...or ash. I see a bunch of them are claiming they`re ceramic, but that strikes me more as a marketing gimmick.
    I ran through a gallon of ONRW years ago. I wanted some fresh stuff recently and picked up a smaller bottle from a store that opened here a couple years ago specializing in Chemical Guys products. The Ultima Paint Guard+ I used this week was left over from a pre-sale sample I received through this forum just before a bunch of stuff fell apart in my life about that time and I`m sure they were annoyed that I never sent in my feedback. From your comment, it sounds like maybe I could just dilute this CG Rinse Free Wash & Shine as a lube / detail spray? If so, about what ratio would you use?

Post Thanks / Like

You’ve come back to a market overloaded with products. All the old stuff is still here plus new stuff, most of it just new labels with higher price tags but little difference in functionality.

The Duragloss Rinseless wash is the king of value in my book. It’s an awesome rinseless wash but makes an even better waterless wash and quick detailer. It cleans well, is easy to use, dilutes better than the label claims, looks great and prevents most stuff from sticking. Its beading outlasts many spray waxes.

Unfortunately the DG marketing team is hopelessly stuck in 1975 and doing their best to let everyone know by CB radio. They don’t pay for influencers to make videos.
    Likes velobard, 65chevy, Billy Jack liked this post
    Thanks Billy Jack thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Unfortunately the DG marketing team is hopelessly stuck in 1975 and doing their best to let everyone know by CB radio. They don’t pay for influencers to make videos.
    LOLOLOLOL

I liked the DG rinseless, I still have tons of other stuff to use up--the one annoying thing about the DG was the pink bits that used to float around in it, did they fix that? I used up my pint a long time ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    You’ve come back to a market overloaded with products. All the old stuff is still here plus new stuff, most of it just new labels with higher price tags but little difference in functionality.

The Duragloss Rinseless wash is the king of value in my book. It’s an awesome rinseless wash but makes an even better waterless wash and quick detailer. It cleans well, is easy to use, dilutes better than the label claims, looks great and prevents most stuff from sticking. Its beading outlasts many spray waxes.

Thanks for the tip on DG. I found it for sale for a reasonable price, but I`m wondering if you dilute it for any of the uses I mentioned, such as a quick detail spray or clay lube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    LOLOLOLOL

I liked the DG rinseless, I still have tons of other stuff to use up--the one annoying thing about the DG was the pink bits that used to float around in it, did they fix that? I used up my pint a long time ago.
    I waited for a while before I tried it. No issues with pink bits but maybe it’s a local water thing?

Post Thanks / Like

No, the pink bits were in the bottle, Pats300ZX complained about it also. I got mine when it first came out (flavor of the month). Right now I`m working on my quart of ONRWW that I got when it first came out.

Post Thanks / Like

Car Pro Ech20 will do everything you mentioned. Highly dilutable and can do waterless, rinsless, QD, clay lube.

Absolute would be another good one.

As for pure QD nothing beats OG Griots Speedshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes velobard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobard View Post
    Thanks for the tip on DG. I found it for sale for a reasonable price, but I`m wondering if you dilute it for any of the uses I mentioned, such as a quick detail spray or clay lube.
    Yes, it’s my primary QD and I’ve used it as clay lube as well. I keep a bottle of it 20:1 in all my cars as a quick bird bomb wash or spray wax/QD.
    Likes velobard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just had another thought. You said the market is really loaded now, with old stuff and new, but one thing I`m not seeing around anymore is wool wash mitts. I can order one, but even the local detailing supply store doesn`t carry them and I used to be able to find them at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Not too much in the wool wash media anymore, more microfiber now. You might try something like The Rag Company Cyclone mitt; I prefer the pads myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a huge fan of the Mother`s wool wash mitts but I`ve moved on to the Chemical Guys chenille wash mitts. Even though I still have a few wool mits left, I only use them when I run out of the clean chenille. Carrand still makes a reasonably priced wool, available for about $8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information