Post Thanks / Like
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey... why is my leather dye flaking off???? Oh well, I guess I need to pick up another seat cover!

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s not something I think should be done every time, it`s more a big gun, one time and never again, sort of move, just like the guy in the video said, but done correctly and with a good preservative used to replace whatever oils might have been removed, there`s a time and place for that technique.

Also, notice, he`s talking about how to deal with a seat cover he sells. He`s familiar with the type of dye that`s used and what it can stand up to.

As always, your mileage will vary and using that product requires finesse but it`s certainly doable. I don`t use scrubbing bubbles on leather because I`ve got better materials but if you haven`t tried it on white vinyl soft tops or boat seat cushions with a Mr. Clean Magic eraser - the heavy duty one, you`re missing out.

As I said on a previous thread, on a white soft top, wash the car, including the top. Rinse and dry as usual, then spray a section of the white soft top with scrubbing bubbles, get a magic eraser wet, wring out just enough so it`s not drippy and go over that section back and forth then up and down. Wipe up the residue with a wrung out microfiber cloth and you`ll be pleasantly surprised at what you find. The vinyl will be clean and ready for treatment.

Robert

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never been an advocate of using household cleaning product for auto care.

For extremely soiled finished leather - use a Griot`s 3- inch (speed # 4-5) an Interior Brush for Orbital Polisher ( Porter Cable 7424, Griot`s Random Orbital Polishers (3 inch and 6 inch) as well as the Cyclo x 2 ) The brush has a connector which screw directly into listed orbital polishers. Use with 1z einszett Vinyl Deep Cleaner (Plastik Reiniger) an intensive, non-corrosive, non-acidic two-phase deep cleaner for that removes build-up thoroughly and effortlessly, these chemicals restore the original texture, tactile feel and resiliency or Leather Master™ Strong Cleaner, using very little applied pressure
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Hey... why is my leather dye flaking off???? Oh well, I guess I need to pick up another seat cover!

It could be that body oils are causing the pigmentation to delaminate. Swisswax has a produst to renew the pigmentation (colour) that`s both very effective and simple to use.

“Leather pigment (Dye) restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1488560
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert, thanks for the boat seat tip. I will definitely use that on the next one I get. As far as car interiors go, I still haven`t found anything that beats woolite and water, 20:1 mix.

I know everyone has there own opinion and many will damn me as being "wrong", but I tend to believe my own eyes over the experts and their pricey products.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    It could be that body oils are causing the pigmentation to delaminate. Swisswax has a produst to renew the pigmentation (colour) that`s both very effective and simple to use.

“Leather pigment (Dye) restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1488560

I guess you missed my joke, I was saying this would only net them more seat cover sales.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyteWizard
    It`s not something I think should be done every time, it`s more a big gun, one time and never again, sort of move, just like the guy in the video said, but done correctly and with a good preservative used to replace whatever oils might have been removed, there`s a time and place for that technique.

Also, notice, he`s talking about how to deal with a seat cover he sells. He`s familiar with the type of dye that`s used and what it can stand up to.

I could see using this for quick flip cars, but on a customers car? "Yes, sorry sir I screwed up your seats, I was just trying to get them clean... what did I use.... um ...um.. scrubbing bubbles." Yeah, that`d go over well.

My big gun is Megs APC+. Its rated safe for leather, but I`ve even had issues with it. Woolite works well enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    Robert, thanks for the boat seat tip. I will definitely use that on the next one I get. As far as car interiors go, I still haven`t found anything that beats woolite and water, 20:1 mix.

I know everyone has there own opinion and many will damn me as being "wrong", but I tend to believe my own eyes over the experts and their pricey products.

There are very few `wrong` ways of doing things in detailing, in the final analysis it comes down to `whatever works for you` and as long as it does no harm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I guess you missed my joke, I was saying this would only net them more seat cover sales.

+ Age = slower uptake ; - )

Thread Information