Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    First let me thank all the knowledgeable people here for all their countless hours contributing to helping others.

I have a 2012 kona blue metallic mustang that I am currently washing with Meg’s gold class wash and waxing with Meg’s gold class wax and the wipe off is with MF towels. It is my DD and lives outside, covered car port at home exposed parking garage at work. I can wax it and 24 hours later it looks like a dusty mess. Is there a process or product change that can reduce the dust collection? Other cars in lot do not pick up as much dust as mine so I am guessing it is self-induced.

P.S now a cat has decided it likes to perch on the hood of my car at night.. Is there a cat retardant additive to any car shampoo or wash? Something like FBG ( feline-be-gone)?

Looking forward to your help. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    F, welcome aboard! I`ve found that some products are clearly better than others in terms of dust attraction. The best I`ve used so far is DP PoliCoat:

Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    It is called "static electricty", comes from actions as one applies any product.

You could use the old painter`s trick and use a chain to "ground" the vehicle, but with the way they are built today, not much help.

Believe it or not, part of the concern could be due to the brand of tires on it.(whole nother thread)

Not likely, but it has been known to be contributing factor.

Then, again, it may just be the result of the enviorment in which you live and the car sets, or the amount of humidity when you applied the product.

The "cat", well, not sure on that one, perhaps place a furniture moving blanket on the hood when you park for overnight.

Cat`s love a warm place, and motor heat continues to migrate up and they like that.

Or you could spray down the vehicle with some red pepper mix, which will keep the cat away, as it does deer, but then you create another concern.

Most products contain a "carrier solvent", which cleans and allows the active parts of the product to be spread and will over some time,evaporate/cure out.

The "solvents" will attract some dust out of the air, rather than allow them to just be "blown off" due to normal air flow.

Then there is the issue of what percentage of "wax" is in the product, which is heat softens and make it accept dust, etc, or even a polymer based product, needs some cure time as well, normally, what ever brand of polymer sealant, takes at minimum of 24 hours, with out exposure to moisture to attain a true crosslinking of the product.

I went through this some years ago, so I would flush the vehicle`s surface with water only, after a day, following application and then wipe dry. (that let`s it cure/crosslink with out a big compromise of the sealant`s linking ability)

It seemed to "set" the product, and remove or whatever, the carrier solvents residue.

Just some thoughts, good luck.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally here and understand what you are saying. I find that any "wax" seems to attract more dust than a sealant. But one of my favorite products to help this is a QD: Finish Kare 425 Extra Slick Final Body Shine. It has some anti static properties and leaves a super slick finish. I usually use it as a drying aid after each wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Troy, I am very farmilar with the 425 product, it is a spin off of the first set of products by Finish Kare, back when I was Floyd`s Sales Manager, etc.

The truth, none of the "anti-static" ingrediants in any car care product will last longer than about 2 to 3 weeks, with luck.

I am the one that pushed him to attain a patent on the chemical`s and process.

A few years later, just before I had decided I had enough, other companies were violating the patent, but he did nothing.

Now, since the "anti-static" thing didn`t last that long, he probably made the right decision in not going after the other chemical companies who started producing and promoting the same thing.

Anti-static is like "UV" protection, when in car care products, they are sacrifical and don`t have much long term protective life.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Troy, I am very farmilar with the 425 product, it is a spin off of the first set of products by Finish Kare, back when I was Floyd`s Sales Manager, etc.

The truth, none of the "anti-static" ingrediants in any car care product will last longer than about 2 to 3 weeks, with luck.

I am the one that pushed him to attain a patent on the chemical`s and process.

A few years later, just before I had decided I had enough, other companies were violating the patent, but he did nothing.

Now, since the "anti-static" thing didn`t last that long, he probably made the right decision in not going after the other chemical companies who started producing and promoting the same thing.

Anti-static is like "UV" protection, when in car care products, they are sacrifical and don`t have much long term protective life.

Grumpy

That`s some great info Ron. It makes sense that it would only last a short time. But to me even 2-3 weeks is pretty good for a QD. Since I usually use it once a week it works out great for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, my vehicles, they are lucky to get a quick wash every two or three weeks.

Don`t worry about rain here, no acid rain to speak of, two of them are under the car port, the other is covered with a car cover and "wheel covers", just to keep the UV rays and bird droppings, from doing their more damaging effect to the older paint systems or the top on the convert.

Plain rain, unless one lives in a highly industrial enviorment, does really not do any damage, birds and their droppings, that`s another big issue.

Since I rotate driving them, who knows at what time the cover and wheel covering are on what vehicle.

Tires last a lot longer when the sun`s UV`s can`t get to them,(same with exterior trim, wind shield wiper blades, etc, let alone the paint finish.)

No room to park them in Grumpy`s Garage, it`s full of tools and projects, can`t really get a car in there.

Yeah, I know, I am not really an Autopia type, I just have too many years of cars, etc, experience and making/formulating of products and marketing of car care products to buy into all the hype.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    [B]F, welcome aboard! I`ve found that some products are clearly better than others in terms of dust attraction. The best I`ve used so far is DP PoliCoat:

Agree 100%!
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, you guys are an inspiration. So, about the DP policoat, directions said to apply by machine. Can this be done effectively by hand? Do not have machine and am reluctant to start out learning on a dark metallic paint. Also, there is the environment where I would apply to be considered. The best I can do is under a car port so wind may blow dust during any application. I do not now have access to a closed environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, your best friend here is simply quick detailer. Choose one you like and use it as needed. Even "anti static" products aren`t enough in most environments. They do little for highway dust, pollen, farms, trains, fields, etc. There is just such a volume of contaminants in the air that will settle on your car no matter what. I quick detail often, it`s a bonding experience!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d never use qd to wipe dust dirt off.. Will cause scratches.. Black car here.. If you have a lighter color you might be ok

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham

Yeah, I know, I am not really an Autopia type, I just have too many years of cars, etc, experience and making/formulating of products and marketing of car care products to buy into all the hype.

Grumpy

Amen brother

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [First let me thank all the knowledgeable people here for all their countless hours contributing to helping others]

That is what has impressed me the most about most of the members here that are considered "the best". Not only because of their skill, but their willingness to help others and share ideas instead of being egotistical about it

There are some very knowledgeable and experienced detailer’s both professional and enthusiast who are more than willing to help and share their experience, which reinforces the old adage
    “The only dumb question is the one that isn’t asked”...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only product that I`ve used (as far as protection goes) that noticeably attracts less dust it Opti-Coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 350zchad
    I`d never use qd to wipe dust dirt off.. Will cause scratches.. Black car here.. If you have a lighter color you might be ok...

Same opinion here, and I won`t even do it to the white beater car (hey, clearcoat is clearcoat no matter what color it`s over). I`d rather have a marring-free finish that`s dusty/dirty/etc. but I understand if somebody else feels the exact opposite way.

While I find that FK1000P and KSG are pretty OK with regard to attracting/retaining dust, I never get much anti-static action out of FK425 (which I *do* use/like/recommend). Somebody here once quipped that I must be "putting it on backwards" because of how brake-dusty my FK425ed wheels can get :chuckle

Wonder if ValuGard`s Fast Finish does anything in this regard Note that Ron Ketcham *GREATLY* prefers it over FK425, and he truly knows from both products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information