Post Thanks / Like
    My girlfriend`s interior of her car is pretty soiled (carpets and seats). Anyways, I want to tackle this over the weekend but only have access to pretty basic supplies (auto part stores, etc). What is the best way to tackle this to get the majority out without using a hot water extractor. I am going to try to use a hot water extractor, I know she has one but it is for cleaning the carpets in her house so I don`t know if it has an attachment I can use in smaller areas.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Blake

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Blake - if you are not ordering anything on line, I will suggest to use regular woolite in 8:1 dilution. It has worked very well for me in the past. Folex is another OTC product that can help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`CBlakeNS`]My girlfriend`s interior of her car is pretty soiled (carpets and seats). Anyways, I want to tackle this over the weekend but only have access to pretty basic supplies (auto part stores, etc). What is the best way to tackle this to get the majority out without using a hot water extractor. I am going to try to use a hot water extractor, I know she has one but it is for cleaning the carpets in her house so I don`t know if it has an attachment I can use in smaller areas.

If it`s got a furniture attachment, USE IT!.

First, if you have an aircompressor, that helps, so you remove all the junk from the car, you vac, then use air to blow out the imbedded stuff and vac again.

Spray any good all purpose cleaner on the carpet, a little extra on the spots, let it dwell/set, for 5 minutes or longer.

Then, with a good "stiff bristle" brush, agitate, rewetting with the selected all purpose as needed, agitation of the carpet breaks the soil loose.

Then, you can use the extractor, "hot water only" in it, no cleaners!

Mist the hot water on to an area of 1 to 2 feet and extract. Use a clean white towel and rub the area to see if much soil, etc is still coming up, if so, re-extract.

Personally, at that that point, once you are satisfied, another wipe with the towel and let it dry.

There are other finer points that could be added, but under the circumstances you mentioned, this should do just fine.

One other thing, if you see what you know is "grease", wet it first with some naptha (lighter fluid) and agitate before doing anything else, wipe with a towel to remove as much of the grease deposit as you can at that point. The all purpose and the hot water extractor should remove any left behind residue.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Folex is some awesome stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to try some woolite diluted 8:1 and then some all purpose cleaner to agitate everything. After that, I will try to use the furniture attachment with hot water to finish up everything. I will try to remember to get some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have an extractor so have always used Folex (which you can purchase at Lowes) for the best results with the least amount of effort. Spray the area with Folex--not too much just enough to get it slightly damp--allow to dwell, agitate with a stiff brush then agitate with a thick terry cloth towel (you`ll need a few of these) then vacuum with a wet/dry vac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I will do that if I can`t get an extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    I don`t have an extractor so have always used Folex (which you can purchase at Lowes) for the best results with the least amount of effort. Spray the area with Folex--not too much just enough to get it slightly damp--allow to dwell, agitate with a stiff brush then agitate with a thick terry cloth towel (you`ll need a few of these) then vacuum with a wet/dry vac.

Post Thanks / Like
    CBlakeNS- Rinse rinse rinse and then rinse some more That household unit almost certainly has a small/furniture nozzle and it oughta work *GREAT*; I got by with something like that for ages before I finally bought my fancy shop extractor.

Thread Information