Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,

Need to do a one-way 7 day trip from MI to CA in the end of August. Does anyone have recommendations (have used or heard of) for some temporary solutions (not permanent like a $$$clear bra) to protect the front end (mostly the bumper) of bugs and chips?

I was thinking of using painter`s tape but not sure if that would safely last for such a long trip in various weather conditions. Also, blue on white would probably get more attention than I need as I drive across the states.

I saw this but can`t find solid user reviews and if I were to find some, it seems mixed.

Protective Film : New Car Paint Protection : Paint Protector : Automobile Paint Protection : BuyRoadWrap.com

Notes: Currently in an apartment complex, so can`t wash or wax my car manually. Best chance is I will take it to a touchless wash and apply whatever temporary protection.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you`re looking for Wolfs Chemicals WB-1N - `The Mask`

It is a spray on temporary clear bra.

Wolf`s spray on clear bra "The Mask" finally ready

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Wolfs...ask_p_663.html

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m not sure how Plasiti-Dip would compare for protection, but might be cheap alternative.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke

A water soluble protection (soluble in water; capable of being dissolved in some solvent (usually water))So how would this work?
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Griots has a film made for that - have a look at the Griots website.
    2005 Pontiac GTP ---> 2008 BMW 535 xi

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree
    I`m not sure how Plasiti-Dip would compare for protection, but might be cheap alternative.

I have heard Plasti-Dip offers very good protection. It`s the same red rubbery stuff that`s on the handles of some tools like pliers. It`s also very inexpensive, readily available at local stores, very easy to apply and just as easy to remove when you`re done with it. Comes in a variety of colors including clear.

Some really good info and alot of products here: DYC Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like

This would be my choice also
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder if the Griot`s stuff is relabeled RoadWrap :think:

Also wonder how the Wolf`s Mask would hold up in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

New guy here, been lurking a while and figured I would jump in. I just ordered some stuff call Road Warrior Plus from here: Road Warrior Plus - Madshadow Custom Paint

Looks easy to use and easy to remove. It is also water based i believe but, I have been told, if you let it cure properly it it durable and needs more of a jet stream/pressure to break the bond then is easily removed. From what I have read, people have driven in the rain with it and have had no issues.

Like I said, I just ordered some and as soon as I get it i can provide a little more insight on what I think of it. I am using this as a temporary clear bra for my new mustang and also going to put it on the front of my motorcycle to help prevent damage from road debris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKleven

I was thinking about that as it seemed like the only solution before posting here. However after googling it some more, it seems like a hit or miss in terms of whether it`ll cause damage to the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfootluke

Read that it`s water soluble as rain would probably wash it off.

Never heard of this until you mentioned it. Some basic research looks very promising.

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    A water soluble protection (soluble in water; capable of being dissolved in some solvent (usually water))So how would this work?

Yup, what I was afraid of as there`s no guarantee it wouldn`t rain on my trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005GTPinMD
    Griots has a film made for that - have a look at the Griots website.

Thanks I`ll look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetails
    I have heard Plasti-Dip offers very good protection. It`s the same red rubbery stuff that`s on the handles of some tools like pliers. It`s also very inexpensive, readily available at local stores, very easy to apply and just as easy to remove when you`re done with it. Comes in a variety of colors including clear.

Some really good info and alot of products here: DYC Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier

Yup, I like what I read about it so far. Still trying to find out if it withstands "chips" though.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod66paul
    This would be my choice also

Yup does look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Wonder if the Griot`s stuff is relabeled RoadWrap :think:

Also wonder how the Wolf`s Mask would hold up in the rain.

Hmm... if it is similar to roadwrap, might have to cross that off my options.

Quote Originally Posted by superslow86
    Hello,

New guy here, been lurking a while and figured I would jump in. I just ordered some stuff call Road Warrior Plus from here: Road Warrior Plus - Madshadow Custom Paint

Looks easy to use and easy to remove. It is also water based i believe but, I have been told, if you let it cure properly it it durable and needs more of a jet stream/pressure to break the bond then is easily removed. From what I have read, people have driven in the rain with it and have had no issues.

Like I said, I just ordered some and as soon as I get it i can provide a little more insight on what I think of it. I am using this as a temporary clear bra for my new mustang and also going to put it on the front of my motorcycle to help prevent damage from road debris.

Please keep us updated.

Thanks to all the posters here for the great advice and opinions. Keep them coming if anyone has any other ideas.

Also, if anyone has experience with plasti-dip and can tell me if that`ll help against "chips"; that`ll be great!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Plasti-dip, and it has held up for almost a year now on the front of my vehicle. I coated my grill and it still looks like the day I applied it. There are no areas on my grill that have PD missing due to a piece of debris taking a chunk off, so I can be fairly certain it would work well as a sacrificial barrier. They do make clear plastidip, which may work very well for those trying to be inconspicuous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Plasti Dip

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Plastidip and it`s very durable. I actually used it in the fender wells of my mother`s Maxima and it`s still there 8 months later with no signs of wear. That`s *IN* the fender wells getting blasted by rocks, sand, and whatever other debris is thrown up against it by the tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Diamondite Bug Blocker. Specifically for short term on the front edges of vehicle, and also neutilizes the corrosive action of the bugs guts. Very easy to remove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information