Post Thanks / Like
    Working on an older car... the leather is actually in pretty good shape, but just years of use and such it has a lot of small creases (not cracking though). I don`t do interiors often... I just choose not to, but this person has requested it. The only things I have are Meg`s cleaner and conditioner and I also have lexol leather conditioner. I almost bought some stuff at my local tractor supply that looked like it was good but figured i`d check.

I`ve seen that stuff that you apply with a brush and it just sits on the leather for hours or days... whichever it was and that looked interesting, but I don`t recall what it was.

Anyway, any info would be helpful. Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`re probably thinking of Leatherique. Better question is- what type of leather are you working on? On top of that, are you certain its not pleather or leatherette? You didnt give an specifics on the vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    You`re probably thinking of Leatherique. Better question is- what type of leather are you working on? On top of that, are you certain its not pleather or leatherette? You didnt give an specifics on the vehicle.

I`m not positive no. It`s a 93 mustang LX that was the limited color run so I would imagine it`s real leather, but no I cannot be positive on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt the products you currently have will be strong enough. What color are the seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    I doubt the products you currently have will be strong enough. What color are the seats?

Sorry, i`ve been out running some errands, the seats are black

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any pictures?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oil-based conditioners will not help restore the surface. These articles may provide some relevant information -

“Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...fication.html#

“Leather pigment (Dye) restoration” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...ml#post1488560
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    What I do...

Skin wrinkles as it ages. Leather does as well. If you don`t want wrinkles buy naugahyde. Leather has character, naugahyde does not. Enjoy some of the character in your leather.

You can reduce the severity of the wrinkles somewhat by properly hydrating the leather. Difficult to do with neglected, coated (protected) leather but there are a few methods that work for me. Much like your skin, leather swells and plumps up when it`s properly hydrated. After cleaning, wipe down the leather several times with a moderately warm/hot, wrung out, cotton towel. This not only insures complete removal of the cleaning detergent used, but also some of the moisture will transpire through the urethane coating. This will cause the leather fibers to swell and reduce the wrinkles. Toss that towel and maybe a couple more under the seats for a few hours but be sure to not over wet the area to the extent that mold could occur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info this far all. I don`t think it`s real, as I did do the scratch test, but not the water droplet test yet... however.. as old as the car is, I would be willing to bet the leather was never treated, so it would have probably had a ton of scratches and such in it by now, I would think anyway. I`m going to try the water droplet test and see if that gives me more info on what it actually is made from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarist302008
    Working on an older car... the leather is actually in pretty good shape, but just years of use and such it has a lot of small creases (not cracking though). I don`t do interiors often... I just choose not to, but this person has requested it. The only things I have are Meg`s cleaner and conditioner and I also have lexol leather conditioner. I almost bought some stuff at my local tractor supply that looked like it was good but figured i`d check.

I`ve seen that stuff that you apply with a brush and it just sits on the leather for hours or days... whichever it was and that looked interesting, but I don`t recall what it was.

Anyway, any info would be helpful. Thanks all.

The creases may be accentuated by accumulated soiling and old aged conditioners/protectors; that may need to be stripped off.

Show us some pictures, help will be more specific.

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Thread Information