Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Before posting I search a lot on this matter but I couldn`t came up with an strait answer.

I have a 1999 Mercedes SLK, witch have coated leather seats.

They are generally good for its age except for one part, as you can see on the pictures.

My first question seems to be an eternal one.

Should one use Leatherique (Prestine Clean and Rejuvinator Oil) or Leather Masters (Cleaner and then Protection Cream?) plus Protectant 303, on coated leather?

Is the answer the same with 12/13 year old coated leather?

It`s a given that Leatherique is excellent with uncoated leather.

But some claim that it can penetrate the coat layer and still hydrate the leather beneath the protective layer even if its result will be more limited they exist, in another hand some claim that it couldn`t penetrate this layer so it can`t work, period.

I couldn`t find a definitive answer on this matter, and there are contradictory opinions still last year.

Another recurrent question or topic (un answer by my searches) is if such products, particularly Leatherique, can damage the coat layer? Anyone have some experience with Leatherique damaging it?

By now, coated leather exists at least for 15 years but most information on this matter is pretty old.

In my case what should I use where the leather is still in good condition?

And on the zone showed on the photos? Can Leatherique do anything or only a more deep action can minimize the damages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The coating (urathane) on the finished leather should be sanded, prepped and a pigmentation and finish coat applied

Most of these questions can be answered by reading - Detailing Articles - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html `Leather Articles`
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those areas need to be restored, not "conditioned." Either way, no to 303 on the leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT,

I read your articles before posting, the "other" way I mention come mainly from you.

My main question is about a relatively old coated leather as mine.

What about cases that exist that claim Leatherique also work on coated leather?

D&D Auto Detail,

Deep inside I was fearing that was the only way for that section.

But, right now, I am only seeking a way to stop the deterioration process and make it somewhat better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Leatherique is not going to do anything for that piece of leather. The coating has cracked and damaged the leather underneath. You have two choices. You can sand and refinish the the bolster or take it to an upholstery shop and have the panel replaced. As for repair and refinish, maybe Judy B can recommend someone to do the work for you or recommend a chemical supplier over there. Stahl just shut down their aftercare program, so I am not sure who sells what in Europe. Refinish Coatings is a Stahl distributor in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    That section seems to be lost...

And what can I do for the back bolster (the photo previous the last one)? It have some wrinkles with mild pigment lost.

And what about the rest of my seat that is in "good condition for its age"? Leatherique, Leather Masters products or 1Z/Einszett Leather Care (this last one is more easy to find/get than Leather Masters).

Thanks again for your input

Post Thanks / Like
    filtragem- Welcome to Autopia!

How involved do you want to get with this? If "doing it properly" (as per the other responses) is just too much, I`d do a thorough cleaning and then apply a "clean" leather care product such as LeatherMasters.

No, that`s not the "right way to do it". No, it won`t make them look great, let alone like new. But I`ve used this approach on both lower-quality leather (Chevy SUVs) and better leather (Jaguar) that was in much worse condition than that, and I was/am satisfied with the results. And I mean satisfied for years. People who saw these seats predicted I`d have to have them recovered right away, but years later they`re no worse.

I thought I was just doing a temporary fix until I could either do it right myself or have the seats recovered, but I`m so satisfied that I now have basically no intention of getting more involved with it. Now whether *you* will be satisfied with it...that`s another matter. But it wouldn`t cost you much time or money to give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good pictures, filtragem;

Consider the followings for a holistic restoration. . .

Restoration both to the structure and to the finish with this general structure of processing in mind. . .

Finish:

1] Wet Preparation

Entire panel finish is partially removed avoiding the usage of solvent; as it will further stiffen the leather structure when dry.

Structural Softening

1] Using optional rejuvenating oil system or hydrating-fatliquoring replenishing system. It is just oil to soften or fat, oil and water system to soften.

Structural Strengthening or Tightening

1] This is done with impregnating the loose overstretch fibers to rectify the fault lines. This impregnating system works best with fatliquor replenishing system as practice in a modern tannery.

Dry Preparation for Finish Recoating.

1] Reduce the existing coating thickness so that it does not be overbuilt with new coating.

Adhesion Coating

1] An adhesion promoter is to ensure good adhesion without the fear of peeling.

Color Coating

1] This is the color matching color pigment that is applied.

Top Coating

1] This is the sealer coating that seals the color coating and will also determine the level of luster sheen – matte is preferred for auto seats.

Rub Resistant Protection

1] This protection reduces friction rubs, thus helps prolongs the longevity of the leather finish.

Hope this helps!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Love your advice Roger.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I`d just get them recovered by a good shop.
    All I have in this world is my word, and my balls and I don`t break `em for no one, you understand?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your replies.

For the critical section I will first try to maintain that section and see but I am aware that later on it must be totally repair.

And what about the rest of the seats, discarding Leatherique, how I should maintain them?

Is Leather Magic is 3 times better than 1Z/Einszett Leather Care to justify it`s higher cost?

Is yes, I should get all three Leather Magic products (the Cleaner, the Conditioner and the Protection Cream), or is the Conditioner and the Protection Cream more or less substitutes for each other.

From what I read Protection Cream also have a Conditioner action.

What are the essential products?

Keep in mind that is a 13 year old roadster/convertible. If you consider relevant I can take some pictures of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JuneBug
    I think I`d just get them recovered by a good shop.

I`m awfully particular about most of my vehicles, but IMO those aren`t *nearly* bad enough to recover if the car`s a daily driver/"real world use" car.

Thread Information