Post Thanks / Like
    the side of my maxima is riddled with small clear coat type scratches, many of which were covered in touch-up paint by the previous owner. I wish this wasn`t the case, because I would have been able to cut these scratches out...

anyhow, how can I remove the touch-up paint to expose the clear coat scratches, so that I can compound them out?

I have a DA, megs ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and am planning on getting some yellow, orange, white and black pads.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    paradigmGT- While many people just use lacquer thinner, I generally use Langka`s Blob Eliminator stuff for this. It works well for me, even when the touchups are pretty old.

Skip the yellow cutting pads and use MF cutting pads instead. More correction with a much better finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had to get rid of a few spots the other day. Makita 9227 with a Megs Burgundy cutting pad and some 105 knocked it all out.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is an MF cutting pad? Is that micro fiber? Can I use this pad with my Meg`s Ultimate Compound, or should I use it with the Blob Eliminator?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RZJZA80
    I just had to get rid of a few spots the other day. Makita 9227 with a Megs Burgundy cutting pad and some 105 knocked it all out.

I keep reading about 105/205... what is 105 equivalent to in terms of Meg`s OTC products? Is it similar to Meg`s UC? Is 205 similar to Meg`s UP?

Post Thanks / Like
    Langka to the rescue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    paradigmGT- While many people just use lacquer thinner, I generally use Langka`s Blob Eliminator stuff for this. It works well for me, even when the touchups are pretty old.

I followed Accumulator`s advice on this and it worked out well.

Here`s the picture proof:

Post Thanks / Like
    captzippy- That spot looks a lot like the stuff I was fixing (well, "making a little better" ) on the Crown Vic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigmGT
    I keep reading about 105/205... what is 105 equivalent to in terms of Meg`s OTC products? Is it similar to Meg`s UC? Is 205 similar to Meg`s UP?

Megs UC is the consumer line of 105, and Megs UP is the consumer line of 205. I only use 105/205 so I can`t comment on the OTC stuff, but from I`ve read, they`re good, just not QUITE as good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

Skip the yellow cutting pads and use MF cutting pads instead. More correction with a much better finish.

The site I am ordering from has the optimium microfiber pads in 5.25" and 6.25". Is it safe to use the 5.25" pad with the 5" backing plate, or should I use the 6.25" pad with the 5" backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    You want the 5.25.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Some people have advised using paint thinner to remove the old touch up paint, apparently it wont destroy the original paint. What are your thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Langka works darn well and I can guarantee it won`t hurt the original paint, can`t do the same for thinner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by paradigmGT

Yes - UC/UP would be the consumer line equivalent of 105/205. The don`t have quite as much cut as their pro line counterparts, but from what I`ve read, UC has a longer working time, dusts less, and finishes better than 105.

Thread Information