Post Thanks / Like
    So, I just finished washing and applying Klasse AIO and the car looks great!

However, I am exhausted right now (I think I used way more elbow grease than necessary), and it is getting dark out.

My question is- Is it okay to wait two days until Saturday to apply the Klasse SG? I would obviously the wash vehicle before application, but I`m not sure if I would still be sealing crap into the paint, because it will be stored outside in the mean time.

My other option is to try to get a couple of months of durability out of just the AIO alone and then start the process over again and try to get it all done in one day, which I wouldn`t mind doing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not worry about it - you should be fine.
    2005 Pontiac GTP ---> 2008 BMW 535 xi

Post Thanks / Like
    Assuming you aren`t doing anything beyond "normal" circumstances (going to a track meet, mudding, heavy snow and subsequent salting of the roads, etc.) in the next two days you should be OK. Wash you car like normal and apply SG as planned. However, try to avoid car shampoos that have wax or are heavy in gloss enhancers as that could inhibit proper SG bonding and curing.

Alternatively, you could AIO again and then apply SG. This second AIO step should go much faster and smoother as your paint should still be in excellent condition from the first time you used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by john1277
    My other option is to try to get a couple of months of durability out of just the AIO alone and then start the process over again and try to get it all done in one day, which I wouldn`t mind doing.

Yeah, as the others suggest, try to keep the car clean and wash it prior to application of the KSG.

The AIO on its own has longevity that might be measured in days or a couple weeks - - certainly not a strong suit.

Good luck, John, and welcome aboard !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Yeah, as the others suggest, try to keep the car clean and wash it prior to application of the KSG.

The AIO on its own has longevity that might be measured in days or a couple weeks - - certainly not a strong suit.

Good luck, John, and welcome aboard !

Quote Originally Posted by MCA
    Assuming you aren`t doing anything beyond "normal" circumstances (going to a track meet, mudding, heavy snow and subsequent salting of the roads, etc.) in the next two days you should be OK. Wash you car like normal and apply SG as planned. However, try to avoid car shampoos that have wax or are heavy in gloss enhancers as that could inhibit proper SG bonding and curing.

Alternatively, you could AIO again and then apply SG. This second AIO step should go much faster and smoother as your paint should still be in excellent condition from the first time you used it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2005GTPinMD
    I would not worry about it - you should be fine.

The responses are much appreciated! I will be washing and applying SG on Saturday. I have read up on it so this should go more smoothly than my first attempt at applying it last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    You`ll be 100% fine. I`ve even used KSG with water (3:1) and gotten 2+ months of beading with nothing on the paint beforehand.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^+1

Yeah just reapply the AIO after washing if you want, but otherwise, you can just straight apply the KSG after washing and be fine.
    2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn it. I came out this morning to see the reflection of the sun, off the hood of my car and there are crazy swirl marks. How could this have happened from a hand application of AIO? It definitely was not like this before. I`m about to give up on detailing a black car this is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some possibilities:

-Previous product you were using had fillers

-Applicator/media issues

KAIO is buttery mild and will not cause any sort of swirling. KSG does fill very fine swirls for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, long story short the car was previously extremely swirled up from the use of a dirty machine polisher used by the body shop. I payed a pretty penny to have all the swirls removed completely and the job looked like it was done perfectly. I was waiting a month and a half to start applying sealants to let the paint cure from the repainting at the body shop. I have considered the possibility that the detailer I went to used fillers, but upon examining the car again, I don`t think that is the case. The swirl marks seem to be really only bad on the hood , and they`re in an up and down motion, indicative of the hand buffing that I was doing yesterday.

I am thinking that I just used way too much elbow grease on the hood because thats really the only area where I am able to really press down, since its a horizontal surface right at the perfect level. Any suggestions? I am thinking of just going ahead and applying the sealant glaze. I don`t have a DA polisher to do the polishing myself. Not sure if you read my other thread, but I am willing to settle for less than perfect at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I do have on hand Meg`s "Ultimate Poslish Pre-Wax Glaze". Would it makes sense to use this on just the hood, after having applied the AIO, and then follow up with the sealant glaze for the whole car as planned?

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, I do have on hand Meg`s "Ultimate Poslish Pre-Wax Glaze". Would it makes sense to use this on just the hood, after having applied the AIO, and then follow up with the sealant glaze for the whole car as planned?

The Meg`s stuff will probably hinder the proper bonding of the KSG.

I hate to say this, but in the absence of a polisher (i.e., a realistic way of getting things marring-free) the Klasse twins might not be the best choice. Unlike Dan I never get any concealing out of KSG and I only use the Klasse approach on vehicles I can get basically perfect. Otherwise I`d rather use a filler + Collinite wax combo, which will usually last as long as one or two coats of KSG anyhow (it`s when you get up to 4-6 layers that KSG is *really* durable).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Otherwise I`d rather use a filler + Collinite wax combo, which will usually last as long as one or two coats of KSG anyhow

can you elaborate on what this is?

Post Thanks / Like
    can you elaborate on what this is?

Sure, see if this makes sense to you:

Instead of the KAIO (which doesn`t fill and can even highlight marring), use a product that does some concealing. An example is Autoglym Super Resin Polish ("SRP", it`s that company`s version of an AIO). Top that with Collinite paste wax, either 915 or 476S. This combo will conceal minor marring (note that "minor", we`re not talking miracles here...) a whole lot better than the Klasse twins.

Other alternatives besides SRP include Bilt Hamber Autobalm, the various Meguiar`s "Pure Polishes" (M03, M05, M07, M81, Deep Crystal Step#2 Polish) and also their M09 "Swirlmark Remover" (scare-quotes intentional as it doesn`t really *remove* `em, just hides them a little), 3M`s Imperial Hand Glaze, and other stuff I`m not thinking of (my fave is probably 1Z WaxPolishSoft but it`s really hard to find).

Alternatives to the Collinite wax include Meguiar`s NXT (but be sure to apply it gently lest it clean off the previously-applied glaze), but NXT doesn`t last a fraction of the time that Collinite does.

I do feel kinda bad about this whole suggestion though...here you already have the Klasse twins and my recommendation is to basically "go buy other stuff". But you can still use the Klasse on things that don`t have the marring issue.

Thread Information