Post Thanks / Like
    Deep Car Scratch Repair Kit: See Video

I have one scratch that is a little deep, tiny spot is into the primer and a few chips are into the primer. It looks like this would work well but I have no experience with repairing scratches yet. I have a beater I could practice on but check out these. These 3 are the worst I have.

1) Thought on the quarter panel scratch / slight spot down to primer

2) Thought on lower sail panel area nice size chip

3) Thought on slight chips along door edge, I guess previous owner had something getting caught there in the door. eh.

4) I also have a chip where previous owner tried to repair theirself, its not the same color arctic white and the chip isnt repaired up to the surface, I guess I should just fill over it then touch up? Maybe wet sand around it to make sure all previous touch up paint is removed cause its kinda sloppy.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A surface scratch that will `catch` your fingernail is approximately 0.04 Mil (1.0 µ) deep will usually require wet sanding and the clear coat refinishing Removing a scratch requires removing the layer of paint that contains the defect; you need to level the paint to the lowest point of the scratch. Removing more that 0.5 mil (12µ) of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure as UV protection percolates to the top of the clear coat.Check paint film thickness with a Paint Thickness Meter (PTG) before you attempt to remove

As you go over a deep scratch, the abrasives round off the edges of the high spots of the scratch. The result is a shallower scratch (when no full correction can be made) rounded edges don’t reflect light the same way a sharp edge will and is therefore less noticeable.

It may be necessary to carry out some localized wet sanding to facilitate full removal of any deep scratches, once again, paint thickness must be checked, and if the paint is too thin wet sanding should not be considered as an option

See "Paint Scratch and Chip Repair" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1470373 for methodology
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crazy3rdgen- IMO your chips aren`t deep enough to require the "putty". There are a number of touchup systems that use that "liquid leveling" approach and yeah, probably a better idea than wetsanding/etc. unless you`re already up to speed on the latter.

Your paint`s metallic, right? Be forwarned that touchups hardly ever match very well. Just the way it goes.

I`ve used the Langka "blob remover" /leveling solvent to remove older touchups.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d recommend searching, there are plenty of good writeups regarding touchup painting. You might get a few replies here, but there are hundreds of posts with great info here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Crazy3rdgen- IMO your chips aren`t deep enough to require the "putty". There are a number of touchup systems that use that "liquid leveling" approach and yeah, probably a better idea than wetsanding/etc. unless you`re already up to speed on the latter.

Your paint`s metallic, right? Be forwarned that touchups hardly ever match very well. Just the way it goes.

I`ve used the Langka "blob remover" /leveling solvent to remove older touchups.

well im going to do some reading and may come back with questions. Thanks for the suggestions. Its arctic white

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy3rdgen
    well im going to do some reading and may come back with questions. Thanks for the suggestions. Its arctic white..

Gee, you even said "artic white" in your original post, but I missed it

White can be surprisingly tricky to match properly! This week I`ve been doing touchups on my Vibrant White Crown Vic, and I can say that even when it doesn`t *really* match all that well, and even when the touchup isn`t properly leveled, well...it can look OK for the real world. White is just forgiving that way. Touch it up, keep it clean and shiny, and only *you* will ever know.

But of course, at some point it does have to be good enough for you or it`ll drive ya nuts

One of the nice things about the Dr Colorchips route is that if it doesn`t look good enough, it`s really simple to get it off so you can try something else.

But seriously, the whole wetsand/compound/polish thing is *almost* in the category of "if you have to ask about it, don`t try it on anything you care about". It sounds simple and straightforward, but pulling it off OK can be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator

But seriously, the whole wetsand/compound/polish thing is *almost* in the category of "if you have to ask about it, don`t try it on anything you care about". It sounds simple and straightforward, but pulling it off OK can be a challenge.

Agreed, plus there is the element of trying to get it perfect and ending up worse than it was. Touchup is really one of those things that you have to know when to stop.

Thread Information