Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    My 20+ year old Craftsman snow blower finally bit the dust. I`m taking delivery of a new Ariens 28" unit this Wednesday.

Anyone ever wax and/or seal theirs? I wonder if treatment would help reduce snow from sticking and help it throw further. Anyone have a suggestion?

Or am I suffering from cabin fever?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinch

Anyone ever wax and/or seal theirs?

R U kidding? !! Of course we do. In fact, I`ve demo`ed a bunch of spray waxes on the chute and the moving blades. Seems to help a bit. I ran mine for the first time this afternoon and tried the Mother`s spray wax...worked very well.

I can recommend using a good sealant on the outer portions. I think that will help long-term.

Congrats on the Ariens, that`s a nice machine. Enjoy :

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a nice coat of Collonite 845 on mine. Must be why I haven`t had to use it lol
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a couple coats of Meg`s ULW on my Ariens and followed a couple days later with UQW. Nothing sticks, neither snow nor slush.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to do it, but I don`t any more. No decrease in performance, no problems, no motivation for me to go back to doing it.

I guess the characteristics of the individual snowblower in question will determine how beneficial it is, but in my case the theory didn`t work out to anything of significance in practice :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never done it, don`t know if it would help. I did try spraying some silicone in the chute of mine to see if it would help with the snow caking up when it`s wet. But it`s probably more the fact it`s 25 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had an 8hp Ariens when I lived in NH--always gave the inside (including the auger) a coat of DG 105 in the fall - seemed to keep wet snow from caking on the auger and in the shute.

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s a snow blower? It was 70degrees here today.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen some nicely detailed lawnmowers on this site....better than alot of cars!

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, I`ve sealed, lawn mowers, chainsaws, ATVs, just about everything! I seal all the plastics on my LCD TV, computers, phones, counter tops, and cabinet doors. Even my sinks and toilets!

The best protection for yours is Collinite 476 without a doubt. 845 is good and easier to get, but 476 is worth the time and a little more money.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always put a coat of 845 on mine. I finally upgraded this year from my 1965 Ariens to a new husqvarna. Already regretting it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, helped a friend seal up his gravely tractor and snowblower attachment. Actually used Nufinish since it was all he had at his house. I`m under the impression it will help corrosion as well as getting the snow to slide out of the chute easier.

I too have sealed a lot of things in the house. I`ve polished my sinks in the bathroom (porcelain vessel sinks) as well as the hardware in there. Really makes them pop and the soap and toothpaste don`t stick to it as easily. It is also fun to do in between car work or when they are freshly cleaned and you still have a little more motivation.

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are so smart, I`m going to seal my Snow blower right now. Although it is a crappy electric one, the chute is always getting stuck so I`ll try 845ing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamza7
    You guys are so smart, I`m going to seal my Snow blower right now. Although it is a crappy electric one, the chute is always getting stuck so I`ll try 845ing it.

Noting that I`m not one of the smart ones in this context ....Yeah, in a case like yours I bet it *will* make a nice diff :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Keeping rust at bay is part of my motivation. The sheet metal is pretty thin on some of these newer machines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information