Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I would start to get my collection but dunno what to get for waxing/polishing. I already have a good drying towel.

I went today to my local walmart and pep boys to see what they have

walmart

blue and whites MF

Walmart.com: Microtex Microfiber Cleaning Towel, 8 pack: Automotive

3M Perfect-It Show Car Detailing Cloth 39016

Amazon.com: 3M Automotive (MMM39016) 3M Perfect-It Show Car Detailing Cloth, 12" x 14": Home Improvement

Goodyear polishing towel

Amazon.com: Goodyear Kleen Maid 00445 Blue 15" x 30" Microfiber Wash/Polishing Towel: Automotive

pep boys

they have a large variety of Peak brand Micro Fibers

cant find it on their web but google help me locate one of them

PEAK Spa Polishing Towel (2) at Blain`s Farm & Fleet

Online Stores

MICROFIBER SUPER TOWEL SILK BANDED

microfiber, microfiber towels, car care products, auto detailing, house cleaning, micro-restore, micro restore, df towels, microfiber

Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber

Super Soft Deluxe Blue Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, buffing towels, micro fiber towel, detail cloth

For applicators

walmart

Blue MF

Walmart.com: 2pk Microfiber Applicator Pads: Automotive

pep boys have Peaks brand

for washing

walmart blue and yellow sponge

Walmart.com: Microfiber Sponge: Automotive

Goodyear Blue One Size Chenille and Mesh Multi-Purpose Wash Mitt

Amazon.com: Goodyear Kleen Maid 00429 Blue/Yellow One Size Chenille and Mesh Multi-Purpose Wash Mitt: Automotive

pep boys

peak brand

Post Thanks / Like
    cloudbuster- Welcome to Autopia!

With 50-some views and zero replies, I bet you`re a bit frustrated! I dunno if I can help much as I`m not familiar with many/most of your choices and I keep my MF/etc. purchasing pretty simple (if not always inexpensive); I buy 99% of my MFs from PakShak, just getting their "ultra plush" ones most of the time.

For general-purpose use, out of your choices I`d probably order either the Chemical Guys or AutoGeek ones. You probably won`t know if you like something until you try it but I suspect those are pretty safe bets. I knee-jerk away from autostore/OTC MFs...not sure if that`s smart or just "me being me" though :think: :nixweiss

I use foam applicators, not MF. For nearly everything. I`d just buy the round foam "wax applicator" pads.

I don`t generally recommend MFs for washing, preferring genuine sheepskin (sheepskin rinses clean better/easier than MF, which can tenaciously retain abrasive contamination). Just get *REAL* sheepskin, not synthetic (no matter what!). And while some here like washing with grout or sea sponges, I don` care for those either.

I don`t like those "muppet head" wash mitts anyhow as I prefer "many thin fibers" instead of "fewer thicker ones".

Oh, and while you didn`t ask about it, I`ll toss out my 2₵ about shampoos- buy something very good, not something very affordable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen those brands in wal-mart and pep boys. They feel really plush but I`ve been unsure of purchasing them. I found it more reassuring to go with known online vendors. You can always bring a blank cd to the store with you to test them for scratching. There could still be a chance it could scratch even passing that test though, depends on pressure and softness of your clear coat.

Chemical guys:

I have those chemical guys towels in a larger size (same color, plush, and silk banding). They are probably my favorite towels so far but I have not tried a lot. The yellow/black combo looks awesome but sometimes stain because the black band will bleed color when washing sometimes. They`re dark blue with black border towels stained a number of my yellow ones too because the dark blue bled for a million washes. Plushness is good enough for drying, wax removal, etc.

I use foam applicators also:

DI Accessories Yellow Foam Applicator Pad | Detailed Image

Used to use microfiber mitt, changed to sheepskin:

DI Accessories Sheepskin Wash Mitt w/no thumb | Detailed Image

Always been interested in pak-shak towels everyone raves about:

We would like to thank our customers for their patronage over the years. We would like to offer a special sale on our highly regarded Micropak micro fiber products. Thank you & Aloha! PakShak "Ohana" (Family)

Post Thanks / Like
    thank you guys!

After looking a little more now I be getting this since it seem that OTC towels are not that great exept that 3M that walmart have. plus the price is right! I dont feel like paying 15-20 for just one towel. unless is mandatory to use for a QD.

Mango Breeze Microfiber Towel, mango buffing towel, microfiber towel, detailing towel is from their cobra series so it should be good

they have this sheepskin

Sheepskin Wash Pad, wool wash pad

Sheepskin Wash Mitt
    with Nylon Mesh Bug Sponge

Foam applicator

Package of 3 Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators

it seem they have all that I need

yep I be getting a good soap DG 901 :-)

Would I need another type of MF towel besides the mango one I be ordering

to use for the Quick Detailer

I did look at ya guy rec then it seem that with autogeek I can get everything on the same store no multiple shipping payments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Meh, Idk about those mangos. Maybe someone can chime in if they used them before. Weight looks a little low at 220g/m2. Not saying you need two different sets of towels, more like sometimes it`s cheaper to buy the better towel the first time around, instead of buying twice. I`d get a three pack of 16" x 16" of a good known towel, or 2 16" x 24". You`ll probably use most if not all of the them for one wax removal. Then just wash and reuse for quick detail if you need too. Try them out, then you have a standard for a good towel. Even with good towels you have to be careful not to scratch. Procedure and not getting contaminated is just as important.

If you take care of towels by washing them by hand or in the washing machine right away and drying, they`ll last you quite a while. Don`t put them away wet. Put them away in clean tupperware or plastic storage or something. It`s so they don`t get dust and dirt contamination. If you drop a towel on floor, IMMEDIATELY consider it dirty and not suitable to use on the car until properly washed and checked over for contaminants.

Maybe try these?

Cobra Deluxe Jr. 600 Microfiber Towel, 16 x 16 inches

Soap and the foam applicators look good. No comment on the sheepskin as I`ve never used that brand. Looks ok to me, just use plenty of suds, lots of water, and feather touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    yup thanks for all that info I was about to order those mango,and blue ones.

But I wait for the evening and re-look at the towels I might end up getting the chemical ones even that you say they bleed the color when you wash the towel, that dont affect the polish does it?

or those Cobra brand even that they are a little more than I wanted to pay for MF towels

might as well get the good one the 1st time.

it seem that chemical store have a great variety of towels.

from here which one would be a good quick detailer MF as I understand the plush are used for that

The Supreme 530 Microfiber

MICRO COTTON MICRO

Ultra Elite Towels

MONSTER MICROFIBER JUMBO ABSORBER

SASQUATCH MAXIMUS HAIR RAISING Wow big one

MICROFIBER MAX

Microfiber Buffing Towel

and for polishing the SILK BANDED?

how is your sheepskin mitt holding so far?

I read the reviews on the ones from AG and they seem to fall apart after 2-3 uses.

if not I guess I order this even that is not sheepskin

WASH MITT SOFTER THAN WOOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Wash them before you use them. Bleeding shouldn`t matter if they are completely dry to begin with. Since you`re starting out, use the same towels for polishing, wax removal, quick detail. Just make sure you get all the polish, wax, etc out before using it for a different purpose. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Regular detergent without bleach or dawn classic blue is fine, sometimes a little APC or degreaser diluted in water helps for really dirty stained towels. Be careful with dawn in washing machines as you can overflow with suds easily. Hand washing with dawn and throwing in dryer is always an option.

I have these:

Really thick pile, very nice. Did not stay as soft surprisingly as the lower weight yellow ones:

CAR detailing Super Microfiber towel Silk Edges

Despite their lower weight (read thickness in this situation), these towels are my favorite so far.

If you can, go with silk edges. The microfiber edges are ok but are stiffer and not as soft as the silk. I know because I bought these:

MICRO COTTON MICRO-COTTON MICROFIBERS MICRO COTTON SUPER QUALITY MICRO-COTTON MICROFIBERS Ultra Plush Detailing Towels - 16" x 16"

Weight was a little thicker than the yellow ones but the stiff microfiber edges and lesser quality in the nap turned me off a little. Overall very close, can`t go wrong with any of them.

You may be underestimating you`re towel needs. If you plan to wash -> dry -> polish -> wipe off polish -> alcohol wipe down with microfiber -> wash -> dry -> wax -> wipe off wax -> quick detail

You`re gonna run through a lot of towels unless you are washing in between steps.

What served me pretty well was resorting to lots of these 16" x 16" ones:

Weird they are so expensive now, I got them for a much cheaper price from there during some sale. I have 6 or 9 of them.

Maybe try these, they look pretty nice, silk edges, very good price, and about the same weight as those yellow ones I like:

MICROFIBER_TOWEL_MIRACLE_TOWEL

EDIT: Just realized you asked for dedicated quick detailer towel. Personally, I`d keep my polishing towels the same quality as a quick detailed and just as clean. If you want a dedicated one, same rules apply for picking. Find something with a compromise of thick weight and long pile, but affordable.

My detailed image sheep skin has been holding up ok, only about 5 washes on it. Before that one I had a microfiber fingers mitt which didn`t do too bad. Any mitt eventually micro swirls my soft nighthawk black pearl metallic civic.

Post Thanks / Like
    What you`ll end up with when you realize you need more of everything lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster
    yup thanks for all that info I was about to order those mango,and blue ones.

But I wait for the evening and re-look at the towels I might end up getting the chemical ones even that you say they bleed the color when you wash the towel, that dont affect the polish does it?

Any color transfer should be temporary and only happen in the wash. I wouldn`t worry about it. And yeah, MFs in the 220-range sound awfully thin.

from here which one would be a good quick detailer MF as I understand the plush are used for that..

The general idea is that the thicker/plusher ones will provide more cushioning and thus there will be a) less pressure pushing abrasive stuff against the paint, and b) a greater chance that the abrasive stuff will get caught in the nap and not pressed against the paint. Good points both, *BUT* I myself would *NEVER* QD a vehicle that`s even remotely "dirty" as sooner or later the paint *will* get marred. I might QD away "garage dust", but to be honest I can`t remember the last time I did that.

I simply don`t touch my paint between washes. But eh, that`s just me

and for polishing the SILK BANDED?

Those are always best but that "silk banding" can mar paint too. Yeah, it`s a good feature, but it`s easy enough to just fold the towel so the edges don`t contact the paint. People got by fine for years before that came out and I still use my older "non-banded"/merely serged MFs with no problems at all.

how is your sheepskin mitt holding so far?..I read the reviews on the ones from AG and they seem to fall apart after 2-3 uses...

That`s one of those things where experiences vary. Mine last a LONG time, but the same ones fail after a few months for other people. But failing after a few uses?!? I dunno..that sounds nutty to me.

Eh, IMO they`re a "renewable resource" and cheap enough not to worry about. Consider how much it costs to run a car through the swirl-o-matic car washes and you might find that *all* this stuff is pretty cheap.

Don`t get a pad, get a mitt. You can fill it with shampoo solution, hold it shut at the cuff, and gently whisk it across the paint while the shampoo seeps out. Not *nearly* as good as using a foamgun, but better than the way most people wash by a long shot.

if not I guess I order this even that is not sheepskin

I wouldn`t use that on my paint. Even if it is soft enough (big "if" IMO), and *IF* it *stays* soft enough as it wears (huge "if" IMO), that "spun nap" is likely to retain gritty dirt. I do have some (real) sheepskins like that, but I`m very careful about when I use them and I generally wouldn`t recommend them (if you don`t know exatly *why* you`d want that specific type then it`s not for you).

That stuff in the ad about "oils" is, uhm...not something to care about (to put it politely).

As for softness, when wet with shampoo mix a lot of things are soft enough that they won`t mar auto paint. Test (when wet with shampoo mix) on a CD if you want to make sure. But the big issue is the dirt (which *is* abrasive enough to mar paint) and how you move it across the paint without applying enough pressure for it to act like sandpaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    One tip I would provide is that whatever MF towels you decide to try, buy sample qty`s first. In other words, don`t stock up on something simply based on someone`s word that they perform well. Buy a couple and try them out for yourself before purchasing more. Even so I have ran into situations where quality changed between batches of what I thought was the same product I had purchased before. I have examples of these in my dresser where I store all of my MFs.

As for the wool mitts from Autogeek, mine typically last several months before they begin to shed but then again, I have picked up some that seemed to "peter out" rather quick. I just chalked it up to inconsistencies from where the hides were sourced, possible process changes, etc. ....and considering it is made from a natural material (animal), I figured you`re bound to see some differences in performance between mitts.

....btw, the last time around I actually switched gears and bought a couple of mitts from Detailed Image. I picked up one of their standard wool mitts as well as their "reTHICKulous" one. ....I have some initial impressions but the jury is still out.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used boutique MF towels from online stores and the ones from chain retail stores.

I have seen no difference other than the huge price difference.

These are just my observations in my business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    I have used boutique MF towels from online stores and the ones from chain retail stores.

I have seen no difference other than the huge price difference.

These are just my observations in my business.

...not to be argumentative but in my own experience, I do notice a difference in quality, performance and characteristics between various towels (big differences in some cases). However, I wouldn`t say buying from a boutique source is necessairly better than from a B&M retail store (or vice versa). I`ve had more luck (in my own experiences) with online vendors in this regard but that is certainly no garauntee you`ll be satisfied. Personally, (like most detailing products) I prefer to judge towels individualy. .....I would never suggest one or the other is better (or worse) simply based on how it is purchased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    And yeah, MFs in the 220-range sound awfully thin.

Are these thin MFs OK for wiping to remove polish residue such as UNO??

Post Thanks / Like
    I was all set to buy these The Supreme 530 Microfiber Towel weighs in at a f and the yellow silk banded to compare them for you since you already have the yellow ones but I found out they dont ship outside the cont USA. ouch!

Now I have to look elsewhere besides chem. guys

I guess now I be looking at those cobra ones they have good reviews. and pakshak but leaning more towards cobra brand

it seem that I found the chem guy towel re-brand now I dunno if I should get them

EXTREMELY THICK HEAVY WEIGH MICROFIBER 530+ g/m2

PREMIUM MICROFIBER

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    Are these thin MFs OK for wiping to remove polish residue such as UNO??

I bet that`s a personal prefernce kind of thing. I myself like plusher/thicker towels for buffing off polish residue. But then I also like thick ones for buffing LSPs, and other people sometimes prefer thinner ones for that.

I guess now I be looking at those cobra ones they have good reviews. and pakshak but leaning more towards cobra brand..

FWIW (and that might not be much ) I would choose PakShak over most anything if choosing blindly. 100% satisfaction IME, which is a lot more than I can say for Cobra. Not that I`m down or Cobras or anything, but I`ve had some that weren`t so hot at one time or another and again, PakShak has been perfect (and they`re great guys to do business with too).

That`s not intended as a hard-sell, but there aren`t too many vendors in any industry who`ve made the kind of impression on me that PakShak has.

But I wouldn`t be afraid to buy those from CG either; a lot of different vendors sell the exact same towels at differing prices with only maybe the colors/etc. being different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information