Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Greetings, let me start first by introducing myself. My name is Mike and I am starting to begin/build my own mobile detailing business in the northern IL. I have always had a huge passion for automotive cleaning/detailing and I have decided to try it out as a career. I realize business will be slow at first, but I can only hope just like any business through quality of work and service 1 customer turns into 2 and so on from there.

Now, let me get to the questions... 1. I am looking into a canopy, one that is easy to set-up, take down, and collapsible for easy storage without taking up much space. I do not have a huge amount of $$$ to invest into this up front due to having to buy a lot of the other equipment such as shop vacs, pressure washer, etc. But, I realize the importance of this investment as mid summer temps around here can reach anywhere between 90-100 degrees. So, I`d like a little shade for the car to protect it , plus a little for myself would be an additional appreciated bonus. I am hoping for something at least 12x12 in size, and hoping to keep it anywhere from $125-225.00. Slightly over won`t be a killer, as obviously I want something quality. Basically, for any of you who may already have those what brand, and how much time does it take to set up/down? Is it weighted on the bottom? I want to make this as professional looking as possible as I would be going to peoples homes and don`t want to be fumbling around in their driveway for 20+ minutes before I even touch their car. Also, I do not want to be staking it down into grass as obviously again being at the customers residence the last thing I want them to see is their car in the middle of their lawn. I have heard a lot about the EZ ups, pop up canopy`s etc. But I don`t know much in depth as far as their overall stability/ease of use. Any tips on this would be EXTREMELY helpful.

For my 2nd question. Wheres the water coming from? I`d hate to have this huge sales pitch about why I should be the ONE to wash their car only to have to say I need to use their water. I have been researching the water tanks. I think I have my mind set on a 50 gallon. I have heard people say they use only a few gallons per wash, of course when you look it up city officials claim up to 60 gallons in a wash. Although, I highly believe that`s severely exaggerated. Maybe if you don`t have a spout on it and just let it run throughout the whole wash? Basically, I would be rinsing, washing, rinsing, obviously keeping it wet as I go along, so on so fourth.. Do you think 50 Gallons is enough? Has anyone ever used one of these with a pressure washer? I was told by the company they are gravity fed meaning no pump is required especially since using a pressure washer. My pressure washer manufacturer seems to disagree and says that unless water is "force fed" into the washer prior to operation that it could cause the pressure washers pump to fail. Obviously I do not want to cut any corners on this only to set myself back even further.

Like I said, many of the things I already have, from the pressure washer to the shop vac & misc attachments, a microfiber infestation beyond belief lol, and I am an avid Meguiars fan, although I will have some random other products on hand just for the "eh, there`s better out there" crowd. Figured it wouldnt hurt to have a plan B. Obviously I have polishers, pads, just about everything except for the 2 things I have questions on. Simply because I don`t know what`s best! I don`t want to get ahead of myself as I have a bit of time before my business actually launches. Im shooting for early March 2012 to actually have the wheels ready to roll.

On a final note: I do not have an enormous amount of space but I also am not doing this out of a Neon. I have a 94 full sized bronco that I will be operating this service out of. Rear seat has already been removed for the additional space. Cool thing is, I can take the top off and make it look even more flashy come full swing detail season. It`s also black, so as long as I can keep her looking good and clean I figure I`d let her speak for herself.

Thanks for any and all of the help guys! Best wishes to you all!

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started out using a canopy and it just became a space hog and a hassle.

As for equipment, 500.00 can get you a decent, small pressure washer from Northern Tool......

Powerhorse Gas-Powered Pressure Washer — 2.5 GPM, 3000 PSI, 208cc | Gas-Cold Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

You will probably need a hose reel and longer hose. This is small one. Perfect for detailing but if you expand into cleaning homes, you`ll need a larger 4gpm unit.

Or you can take the same money and look on Craigslist for larger one for the same money. It would help to know your budget.

Ok.Now for your water situation. Where do you live? Is all your roads paved? Are the vehicles extremely dirty?

My area has tons of dirt roads so there is a lot of grit and debris on the surfaces. Here is my wash process.......

http://www.autopia.org/forum/profess...h-process.html

I have a 65 gallon tank. I can get 10-12 washes out of it using the above process.

Feel free to call me anytime. 706-633-9149

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Murphy
    I started out using a canopy and it just became a space hog and a hassle.

As for equipment, 500.00 can get you a decent, small pressure washer from Northern Tool......

Powerhorse Gas-Powered Pressure Washer — 2.5 GPM, 3000 PSI, 208cc | Gas-Cold Water | Northern Tool + Equipment

You will probably need a hose reel and longer hose. This is small one. Perfect for detailing but if you expand into cleaning homes, you`ll need a larger 4gpm unit.

Or you can take the same money and look on Craigslist for larger one for the same money. It would help to know your budget.

Ok.Now for your water situation. Where do you live? Is all your roads paved? Are the vehicles extremely dirty?

My area has tons of dirt roads so there is a lot of grit and debris on the surfaces. Here is my wash process.......

http://www.autopia.org/forum/profess...h-process.html

I have a 65 gallon tank. I can get 10-12 washes out of it using the above process.

Feel free to call me anytime. 706-633-9149

Justin, thank you for the very quick response. Sorry about my last post being as long as it was, it appears that I have caused a little confusion because of it. I already have the pressure washer. I bought a 2.6 gpm craftsman Honda powered for a big sale price of 313.00. Specifically, I am looking only for the water tank and canopy. I`ve already considered the fact that it could be a royal pain to assemble and haul around but I don`t plan to use it unless totally neccessary to use. I want to come off as professsionally able to handle any situation as possible. I know of one other mobile detailer in my area and don`t want to be at someone`s house on the hottest sunniest day imaginable working on a car and have him happen to drive by and later take away a customer due to him being a step ahead of me. I know I`d use it as a sales takeaway tactic. As far as the water tank is concerned: is it gravity fed? Does it require a pump? The roads here are sort of mixed as far as paved and dirt. I want to be sure I have enough along with me but at the same time I`m concerned about space/extra weight. I think a 50 gallon should be enough I`m more or less worried about if I buy that am I good or do I need some sort of pump to pressurize the water to feed the washer? Thank you again for the help. Look forward to hearing from you and some of the other posters on this forum. I`m new to this forum so like anything, steady as she goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chances are, if the pump is under the engine, you will need a pump. Can you return that pressure washer?

Contact Ben here at 3D. I bet he can find you a tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chances are, if the pump is under the engine, you will need a pump. Can you return that pressure washer?

Contact Ben here at 3D. I bet he can find you a tank.

Pressure washer can still be returned. I was also looking into a ridgid at home depot the pumps are supposedly top of the line made by cat combined with a Subaru motor. The washer that you recommend, do you own it? Is the pump above the motor? Never thought this would have evolved into a pressure washer convo but I guess that`s why a newbie like me is here!

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a perfect machine. The Home Depot model. I know it well. My brother has it.

That`s why this forum is here. To talk, discuss, and LEARN!

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a perfect machine. The Home Depot model. I know it well. My brother has it.

That`s why this forum is here. To talk, discuss, and LEARN!

Just got approved for a credit line at home depot. Not a huge fan of credit cards but the 3000 limit should be more than enough to really get the ball rolling. I`m most likely going to take back the craftsman washer and go with the ridgid. The pump isnt above the motor but along side of it. I hear the cat pump is top quality, repairable, etc. this should be good for use with a gravity fed water tank? As far as canopy is concerned I am going with a 12x12 Ez up brand for $112.00 they cell cement weight plates for 30.00 as well which should help keep it stabalized, etc. thanks for all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    That washer will work without a pump. Cat pumps are awesomes. I just had to spend 125.00 on mine. That`s after 6 years of constant use and abuse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WashMePlease
    Greetings, let me start first by introducing myself. My name is Mike and I am starting to begin/build my own mobile detailing business in the northern IL. I have always had a huge passion for automotive cleaning/detailing and I have decided to try it out as a career. I realize business will be slow at first, but I can only hope just like any business through quality of work and service 1 customer turns into 2 and so on from there.

Now, let me get to the questions... 1. I am looking into a canopy, one that is easy to set-up, take down, and collapsible for easy storage without taking up much space. I do not have a huge amount of $$$ to invest into this up front due to having to buy a lot of the other equipment such as shop vacs, pressure washer, etc. But, I realize the importance of this investment as mid summer temps around here can reach anywhere between 90-100 degrees. So, I`d like a little shade for the car to protect it , plus a little for myself would be an additional appreciated bonus. I am hoping for something at least 12x12 in size, and hoping to keep it anywhere from $125-225.00. Slightly over won`t be a killer, as obviously I want something quality. Basically, for any of you who may already have those what brand, and how much time does it take to set up/down? Is it weighted on the bottom? I want to make this as professional looking as possible as I would be going to peoples homes and don`t want to be fumbling around in their driveway for 20+ minutes before I even touch their car. Also, I do not want to be staking it down into grass as obviously again being at the customers residence the last thing I want them to see is their car in the middle of their lawn. I have heard a lot about the EZ ups, pop up canopy`s etc. But I don`t know much in depth as far as their overall stability/ease of use. Any tips on this would be EXTREMELY helpful.

For my 2nd question. Wheres the water coming from? I`d hate to have this huge sales pitch about why I should be the ONE to wash their car only to have to say I need to use their water. I have been researching the water tanks. I think I have my mind set on a 50 gallon. I have heard people say they use only a few gallons per wash, of course when you look it up city officials claim up to 60 gallons in a wash. Although, I highly believe that`s severely exaggerated. Maybe if you don`t have a spout on it and just let it run throughout the whole wash? Basically, I would be rinsing, washing, rinsing, obviously keeping it wet as I go along, so on so fourth.. Do you think 50 Gallons is enough? Has anyone ever used one of these with a pressure washer? I was told by the company they are gravity fed meaning no pump is required especially since using a pressure washer. My pressure washer manufacturer seems to disagree and says that unless water is "force fed" into the washer prior to operation that it could cause the pressure washers pump to fail. Obviously I do not want to cut any corners on this only to set myself back even further.

Like I said, many of the things I already have, from the pressure washer to the shop vac & misc attachments, a microfiber infestation beyond belief lol, and I am an avid Meguiars fan, although I will have some random other products on hand just for the "eh, there`s better out there" crowd. Figured it wouldnt hurt to have a plan B. Obviously I have polishers, pads, just about everything except for the 2 things I have questions on. Simply because I don`t know what`s best! I don`t want to get ahead of myself as I have a bit of time before my business actually launches. Im shooting for early March 2012 to actually have the wheels ready to roll.

On a final note: I do not have an enormous amount of space but I also am not doing this out of a Neon. I have a 94 full sized bronco that I will be operating this service out of. Rear seat has already been removed for the additional space. Cool thing is, I can take the top off and make it look even more flashy come full swing detail season. It`s also black, so as long as I can keep her looking good and clean I figure I`d let her speak for herself.

Thanks for any and all of the help guys! Best wishes to you all!

Whats up Mike,

I`ll give you feedback in my experiences as a mobile detailer...and ill try to answer your questions in order.

First the Canopy, i got mine from K-mart actually. I got the EZ Up tent...i only got the 10x10 as a 12x12 or bigger would have taken up too much space, but if you have a truck or SUV or trailer, by all means, get the 12x12 or bigger..its a PITA to move that thing back n fourth to TRY to keep shade (I live in Az...trust me i know about the heat).

I got mine for about $60 on sale....andi CAN do it by myself...but you gotta go back n` fourth from each side quite a few times inching it out until its pulled otu enough to where you can move a little more at a time.

In all honesty ive only used it a few times...i work with my sis, so with 2 of us we can usually pull the car out, wash it and get it back in the garage (most ppl out here have garages) to dry. If you mist the car down with detail spray before the water dries, it makes life easier. Also i like to wash the WHOLE car first...then rinse the whole car...the idea is if you have a PH balanced wash..even if the soap dries on the car...its not as bad as just pure hard water being left on the car to dry if you were to wash 1/2 then rinse. Try both ways but doing it all at once works best for us.

The EZ up isnt weighted, but with 2 of us, once you do it the first time, you can get it up and down in 5 min no problem. It seems fairly stable to me..but i havent beaten it to death either with use. I like it, i just wish i coulda gone bigger.

Wheres the water come from:

I use customers water. By using a pressure washer and foam cannon i dont use a lot of water...I`ve NEVER had a customer get any kinda attitude with me about needing to use their water, just bring your OWN hose and make sure its long enough (usually 75` is enough). I just always ask ahead of time "Do you have a place for me to hook up my hose and a place for me to plug in an extension cord"....never once had an issue. Some say go w/the generator/tank set up...i would like to have that as an OPTION eventually, once i get a trailer, but then you have to deal w/noise, which is annoying to the customer and the neighbors...so i`d like to have it as a back up or if i ever get into doing work on site (ive always done jobs @ peoples homes).

There ARE pressure washers that draw up the water on their own and you don`t have to have the water force fed. My Karcher has that option: Amazon.com: Karcher K 5.540 X-Series 2000-PSI 1.4-GPM Electric Pressure Washer with 25-Foot Hose and Hose Reel: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I REALLY like this pressure washer. It first of all is quiet...second of all has good pressure, not 3000 PSI but still plenty of pressure to do detailing, third of all it seems to be one of the better build stand up electrics (UNLINK my old stanley POS) and lastly you can use the foam cannon with it which i really find to be a great tool. I also like that since its electric, the motor only runs when you`re using it, not the WHOLE time like a gas. I got mine for $225 off ebay shipped.

Now if you have extra $...this guy looked to be a good choice from the research i did: Kranzle Electric Hand-Held Pressure Washer @ Pressure Washers Direct.com - Kranzle Electric Hand-Held Power Washers, Kranzle Electric Hand Held Power Washer, Kranzle Electric Hand-Held Pressure Washers, Kranzle Electric Hand-Held Power Washer, Kranzl Its pricey, but it too can draw water on its own without needing a pump to go between the tank and the pressure washer. I may be HARDER on the motor (with either pressure washer), but we aren`t using this for long runs at a time, you figure 5-7 minutes is the longest you`d even need to run it consistently, if that.

So far, w/the Karcher i have...hooked up to a hose and using the customers water has been awesome for me. It doesn`t use a LOT of water but is still very efficient.

Thats great you have polishers/pads etc already. I find having at least 2 buffers set up on a job, one for big pads, one for smaller makes life easier. Just run 1 extension cord and plug a 3-1 adapter in it so you can have all of your polishers set up off one cord. You`ll only be using 1 at a time anyway so its not like you`ll be overdrawing the power.

Also ive found ziplock bags to be my best friend lol. They help keep things very clean. Pads, MFs, hand pads etc are all in ziplocks. I keep the Ziplocks in big carrying bags. 1 for MF`s...one for pads (i use my flex bag for just pads since its pretty spacious), one bag for JUST interior supplies, one bag for JUST my polishes/waxes/sealants etc. Then i keep a big hefty bag to put my dirty towels in during the job. Doign it like this helps me keep things organized and that is something that is a HUGE time saver when you`re mobile. Having to rummage through all your crap to find something is frustrating and eats up time...so when on the job..when we`re done with something...like after the PW is done being used, it gets set to the side...after the shop vac is doen with...it gets set to the side...so we have a `still in use` area and a `done with` area so things dont get in the way of what you`re doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoops just read the other posts...looks like you`ve already figured out which way you`re going lol. I hope it works out for you either way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels
    Whoops just read the other posts...looks like you`ve already figured out which way you`re going lol. I hope it works out for you either way.

I just read through your post and wanted to thank you for all of the tips. I still am indecisive as far as what route to actually take. I pretty much have my mind set on the ridgid for the most part. I think I may actually hold off on the water tank though until I find out that business flow justifies having it. The way I see it is when you have any home service performed such as an exterior home paint, or any general service they need access to your water and your electric. Now, I figure if I at least get the ridgid I am ready to build off of it and hopefully wouldn`t be sacrificing quality so it should hold up well being "commercially" rated. If business is great then later on I will invest in the tank. At least that way I won`t get too far ahead of myself and at the same time I`ll at least be prepared to build off of what I already have without having to spend the extra $$$. I too didn`t like the generator idea, unless I was detailing many cars a week and in the middle of nowhere I couldn`t justify the purchase, extra weight, space, etc. thanks for all of your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WashMePlease
    I just read through your post and wanted to thank you for all of the tips. I still am indecisive as far as what route to actually take. I pretty much have my mind set on the ridgid for the most part. I think I may actually hold off on the water tank though until I find out that business flow justifies having it. The way I see it is when you have any home service performed such as an exterior home paint, or any general service they need access to your water and your electric. Now, I figure if I at least get the ridgid I am ready to build off of it and hopefully wouldn`t be sacrificing quality so it should hold up well being "commercially" rated. If business is great then later on I will invest in the tank. At least that way I won`t get too far ahead of myself and at the same time I`ll at least be prepared to build off of what I already have without having to spend the extra $$$. I too didn`t like the generator idea, unless I was detailing many cars a week and in the middle of nowhere I couldn`t justify the purchase, extra weight, space, etc. thanks for all of your help.

Yup yup, thats true. Its not like you`ll be drawing a LOT of electricity or water, just enough to do the job.

I was set on getting a gas PW at first too..i just wanted the power. But after thinking and reading and researching...i decided...i didnt want to fill the damn thing up w/gas all the time...yea its a small motor but gas adds up no matter how you look at it. I didn`t wanna carry smelly gas around w me in the car. The SIZE of those things was my main turn off and the fact they run the WHOLE time.

With my electric, i can go spray a tire and rim. Clean the tire and rim, get behind into the barrel, wash the wheel wells then PW all that crap off...the motor runs for 1 min....then i let the trigger go and it shuts off. Move to the next tire in peace and quite and repeat...no gas burning for no reason...no rushing trying to get it done so i dont burn so much.

The other AWESOME thing i have set up w/mine is...i didn`t use the regular plastic quick connect it came with, i bought a double female end hose swivel (to fit onto the machine), then a quick connect garden hose connect (male in threads into the open end of the hose swivel), and a brass shut off valve. I connected the female end to the male end of the brass shut off...and then i have a nice simple quick disconnect from the pressure washer...whats the big deal? Well now if i need to fill a bucket or just get some free running water...i dont have to shut off the water at the hose bib...just use the on/off valve at the machine to cut off the water (and because its electric it wont keep trying to pull water), disconnect it from the machine with the quick disconnect, fill my bucket, then pop it right back onto the PW and turn the valve back on.

With a gas you`d have to turn your machine on and off each time. I was SO AGAINST electric PW`s after my horrible experience with my Stanley. It sucked, big power delay when u pull the trigger, tipped over all the time, was short so my 6`3 *** had a hard time rolling it around and the tires sucked....the hose kinked, the wand eventually leaked. Just a nightmare..i wanted the gas one! But i took a shot after watching videos and reading reviews on the Karcher i took a shot and got a good price on Ebay.

I so far only have 2 minor complaints with it...first...the hose sometimes twists (not horribly just a couple of turns)..im still hunting to see if i can find a way to connect a GOOD RUBBER hose to the karcher quick connect set up...not a huge issue but annoying sometimes...i think even getting the 25` extension would solve it, but id still prefer the good rubber hose over the PVC type.

The second minor complaint is the hook that holds the electrical cord when its wrapped up comes off sometimes since it doesnt actually LOCK into place..it just slides. Again very minor. That it.

You can even get an underbody cleaning lance for cleaning up on the underside. Its about 2` long so it downgrades some of the pressure but still enough to knock off major dirt etc. Its a much more comfortable atmosphere using the quiet electric over the gas...i know, ive used gas for big RV`s...the power is nice but noise and having to refill w/gas sucks. Just my .02c

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out with an electric power washer. Once I switched to a gas unit, I never regretted it. Ever.

I too fill up at customer`s homes when needed and I always use their power. I will be buying a Honda generator once my taxes get done. I`m doing a lot of my bulk details in parking lots now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I understand, just wanted to let you both know that I finally broke down and bought the ridgid for 499.00 plus tax. I also got 20.00 off so it came to just over 500 with tax. It`s a great looking washer with a Subaru motor and a cattipilar made pump that can be serviced unlike a lot of others that need costly replacements. Finally, it has an idle down feature on it that reduces the motor power when and if not in use to help out with gas a bit. Check it out if you`d like... 3000 PSI / 2.6 GPM Gas Pressure Washer - RIDGID Professional Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Great feedback justin! If i ever do this full time i will definitely follow some of your footsteps.

Whats sux is how much a payload water tanks create

roughly 830 pounds for 100 gallon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Affordable/Mobile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information