Post Thanks / Like
    Last winter I decided to do a bit of research as to why I was getting waterspot etching. I strongly suspected Zaino was causing the problem. My goal in this test was to prove that Zaino is more succeptable to waterspotting than other products.

I chose several well known products for various reasons. The products to be compared were:

-KSG - long track record for durable protection and it used a different base technology (acrylic)

-M21 - comes from a company that has been around for a while and claims this is their best protecting LSP

-845 - One of the durability kings, super easy to use.

-Z2 - Great looks, great durability, but great protection?

Test Method:

-Polish a painted panel (tool box door)

-Apply the respective base product (KAIO and ZAIO)

-Apply two coats of the sealant

-Allow plenty of time to cure

-Spray panels with hard water ~220ppm solids content and allow to dry.

-First use water to remove spots

-If water doesn`t work, use distilled vinegar

Some observations along the way

-Z2 has a cleaner (not abrasive) in it, everyone swears is doesn`t, but why does it remove paint?

-M21 has similar cleaners to Z2

-KSG and 845 have zero cleaners

After application I allowed the LSPs to cure for 24 hours. Then I sprayed them with hard water and allowed it to dry

After ample drying time I first tried to remove the spots with more water. If the spots didn`t go away, I used a bit more force. If that didn`t work, it was time for the vinegar.

The results from worst to best:

-Bare paint, even the vinegar would not remove the spots, polishing would probably be required

-845IW - Even with the vinegar, it was tough to remove the water spots. I guessed this would be the top performer. Color me very surprised

Before

After

-KSG - Water removed some of the water spots but vinegar was still needed

Before

After

-M21 - Water removed almost all the spots

Before

After

-Z2 - Everything came off with a single pass of a wet MF towel. I was completely shocked.

Before

After

In summary, I was totally floored that the results were backwards to what I would have expected. Z2 was the top performer here by a very long shot. My only real question are does time in the elements skew these results. I guess that will have to wait for another test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting test. I have never experienced any permanent water spotting in real world situations with Zaino Z2 or AIO. When hit with spots I have been able to remove with Z6 or Z8. So far they have always come completely off. Luckily, too, the water hardness around St. Louis is pretty forgiving.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting, thanks for sharing. is it no surprise that Z2 performed well, it`s made by duragloss right? :tongue2:

Post Thanks / Like
    Great test. Of the two I`ve used (845 and KAIO + KSG), I can confirm that I`ve had the same result - bad water spotting that needed to be hit with a pre-wax cleaner and a bit of pressure to remove.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d guess that solvent based sealants would perform better than water based ones

is the paint on that test panel waterborne or solvent? that could have an effect
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for taking the time to do this test and for sharing the results...
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by SVR
    I`d guess that solvent based sealants would perform better than water based ones

is the paint on that test panel waterborne or solvent? that could have an effect

Hmm, are any of the products water based? I`m pretty sure everything is solvent based except KSG, which was better than solvent based 845. The paint seems like a lacquer base judging by how easily the solvents in Z2 remove it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great test Dan! Thanks for sharing!

I have some waterspoting issues on my hood. I`ve been trialling Carlack LLS, 845 and Wolf`s BodyWrap. So far BodyWrap seems the worst, it beads too much for its own good.

Carlack and 845 are okish but still have some spots I`ll give Duragloss 105 and 1Z Glanz a shot in spring.

Do you happen to know how does Opti-Coat 2.0 fair with waterspots?

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive write-up for that comparison.
    2005 Pontiac GTP ---> 2008 BMW 535 xi

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that came to mind is that this is testing water that beaded up and is sitting on the car. When I use KSG water sheets right off for the most part. Still this was an awesome test and is much appreciated! Should we be concerned about the cleaners in Z2 and M21 though?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ccraig13
    One thing that came to mind is that this is testing water that beaded up and is sitting on the car. When I use KSG water sheets right off for the most part. Still this was an awesome test and is much appreciated! Should we be concerned about the cleaners in Z2 and M21 though?

Thanks for the feedback. I don`t think there is reason for concern about the cleaners/solvents in Z2 and M21. Megs used to openly admit that M21 and NXT have cleaners, now they have changed their rhetoric a bit and claim there are "no functional cleaners." Whatever. Zaino seems very adamant that there are no solvents or cleaners, yet clearly there are. I have demonstrated the strong cleaning ability of Z2 in this test as well as my AIO cleaning test.

What it does do is show that layering Z2 and M21 is unlikely. If it removes paint, its also removing its base layer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for putting in the time to make this test. This totally blows away the myth that Zaino is prone to waterspotting. I can`t believe that it ranges from needing paint correction to as little as a simple wipedown to remove these spots. This thread should be linked anytime someone complains that Zaino`s weakness is waterspotting. Kudos.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Thanks for the feedback. I don`t think there is reason for concern about the cleaners/solvents in Z2 and M21. Megs used to openly admit that M21 and NXT have cleaners, now they have changed their rhetoric a bit and claim there are "no functional cleaners." Whatever. Zaino seems very adamant that there are no solvents or cleaners, yet clearly there are. I have demonstrated the strong cleaning ability of Z2 in this test as well as my AIO cleaning test.

What it does do is show that layering Z2 and M21 is unlikely. If it removes paint, its also removing its base layer.

Don`t know how I missed this test/review. Thanks for your time and effort. I`ve been a long time user of Z and have had water etching.

This test does bring up a question about using ZAIO as the base and then applying Z2P on top. Since Z2P clearly shows it removes paint either abrasively or chemically, what happens to the under layer of ZAIO? Since it is suppose to be "required" in lieu of ZFX, its seems the use of ZAIO is almost moot. Any thoughts or opinions?

Post Thanks / Like
    I somehow missed this test as well.

Thanks for the effort...great test.

Just wondering how the water-spotting on LSP is affected by being in the sun a while. That might yield different results. :noidea:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfisti
    I somehow missed this test as well.

Thanks for the effort...great test.

Just wondering how the water-spotting on LSP is affected by being in the sun a while. That might yield different results. :noidea:

Yeah, I`d love to get some time and a real hood or trunk to re-do the test outdoors.

Thread Information