Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, please help a newbie out. Mods - I apologize if this is the wrong section, I just signed up and this sub-forum seemed to make the most sense.

I bought a 2012 Subaru WRX in Satin White Pearl 3 weeks ago. On a road trip over the Christmas weekend, I got this oily stuff on the left side of the car, mostly near the wheel well and tiny splashes on both doors:

http://i44.tinypic.com/sbr781.jpg (didn`t embed because the image is too large)

I didn`t do any off-roading, so I had no reason to suspect something like this would stick to the car - I only discovered when I washed it on the 26th.

I`ve tried the following products so far, and none of them worked:

> Claybar + Meguiars QuickDetailer

> WD-40

> Goo Gone

> Prep-all Wax and Grease Remover

> ScratchX

> Bug and Tar Remover

The stain appears to have penetrated the clear coat fairly deep, so I am at a loss for what to try next...my only experience with car detailing is a simple wash, claybar, wax routine so please help a concerned owner figure this out!

PS: If anyone in the Chicagoland area can recommend a good shop, it would be of great help! Thanks!
    2012 Subaru WRX Hatchback - Satin White Pearl

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you might need to seek out a pro detailer locally to get that out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I`ve exhausted all my `novice` options. I`ll update the thread with info on how the detailer tackles this

Post Thanks / Like
    Would this be a single stage paint? Could a ss paint be more susceptible to this sort of staining?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you 100% sure it wasn`t on the car at time of purchase? Did you pick it up at night?

Post Thanks / Like
    First things first.

1. Did the tires appear "greasy-shiney" when you looked at it before purchasing?

2. Go back to the dealer and find out what kind of "tire dressing" they apply to tires.

Do that, then tell us what they used, what it looked like when you bought it.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tdekany
    Are you 100% sure it wasn`t on the car at time of purchase? Did you pick it up at night?

Yes, because I washed, clayed and waxed the car after purchase and there were no stains. I picked the car up in the evening, and there was enough sunlight when I inspected it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    First things first.

1. Did the tires appear "greasy-shiney" when you looked at it before purchasing?

2. Go back to the dealer and find out what kind of "tire dressing" they apply to tires.

Do that, then tell us what they used, what it looked like when you bought it.

Grumpy

****! I think I just realized what this stuff might be. Could I have spilled tire shine onto the panels? I dressed the tires after my second wash, but the paint is fine around the other three tires.

What`s the solution if it is indeed tire shine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SWPWRX2012
    ****! I think I just realized what this stuff might be. Could I have spilled tire shine onto the panels? I dressed the tires after my second wash, but the paint is fine around the other three tires.

What`s the solution if it is indeed tire shine?

Not necessarily "spilled," but "slung" off the tire when you started to drive. It seems to be really common, and you shouldn`t feel bad about it (Yes, I`ve had it happen). It`s a factor of the type of tire shine used, how dry the tires where when applied, how long the tire shine was allowed to dry, how much was put on, etc. Some brands are more prone to it than others, and some are prone to staining if they get on the paint (I`ve seen it as a warning on some bottles). Water based brands seem to be the safest, even if they don`t last through rain or give the "shiniest" shine.

As for how to get it off, I`m tuned in to see as well. I`d like to know in case it happens to me or I come across the same staining.

Adam

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Removal - use a d-Limonene based (citrus) cleaner 3M Citrus Cleaner Adhesive Remover Spray or ValuGuard "N" New Car Prep or paint cleaner P21S Paintwork Cleaner or, Klasse All-In-One, failing this use an abrasive polish / pad.

Unfortunately, sometimes the only permanent remedy may be to remove the stained paint down to e-coat and re-paint

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information