Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry so i tried searching, but i got a lot of random stuff that didnt quite apply, maybe i used the wrong keywords.

Anyways, I`m about to pull the trigger on a Porter Cable 7424XP i wanted to get it off of amazon because, i get 2 day free shipping, no tax and have a $35 credit with them. However I`m tempted to get a combo kit off another site if it will actually save me money.

I have a 2010 GTI (white) and my gf has a black 2011 mini cooper s. i`d say both cars paint is in good shape with a hint of micro marring, obviously more visible on her car since its black.

What pads, products do you recommended i start with. Obviously the orange seems to be light enough, i dont believe i need anything very abrasive. Not to mention I would feel safer practicing with something that has less cutting until i get the hang of it.

My goal is to just make it a nice mirror finish and something that lasts. I don`t need any help or advice on washing products, clay bar, etc. I got all that I just need help with what products I should get with the PC7424XP

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    mf pads and uno. also consider griots machine instead of the pc, it is more powerful. nothing wrong with foam pads either. for foam pads you will need a cut, polish and finish type pads. i would go with min of 3ea.

other good suggestions will follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit
    mf pads and uno and poxy.

Or some other proven sealant.

I`d say start out e-z and figure out what you`d like to add as time passes and your needs evolve. Keep it simple when you start. Be certain your weekly washing routine is the best that it can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    are mf pads meguiar`s ? i did a search on autogeek and uno, mf dont come up? google gives me links to people talking about it, but where do i actually order these?

im assuming MF and uno work with the 7424XP, right?

what about products( polish, wax, sealant?)

Post Thanks / Like
    I will tell what I would buy now instead of what I got. Some products I would just buy all over again . I have no experience on a DA. both PC and GG seem to go down well with the crowds.

Pads: LC Hydrotech all colors 5.5

Polish: Menzerna range (cut / polish / finishing)

Glaze/cleanser (optional): EZ, Blacklight or Vertua Bond 408

LSP: Sealant for white (Optiseal, Jetseal 109 or FK 1000p) and wax for black (Glasur or Victoria Concours red).

Good luck with your buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Meg`s Micro Fiber Kit is an excellent starting point. You can get it from Meguiar`s website or search around for a better deal. On the black Mini I would choose to also pick up some Menzerna 85rd for a great finish. It is my favorite final polish. I use LC white or black pads for that, depending on the hardness of the paint. You will also need a finishing pad for applying sealant/wax, unless you are doing it by hand. Make sure you either get pads that fit your backing plate, or pick up the right size backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    mf = microfiber. megs has both cut and polish pads avaiable, also avaiable as a kit. optimum has polish pads out and will soon be releasing their cutting pads.

autogeek doesn`t carry 3d products (uno and poxy).

lsp`s there are many to choose from some of my favoraties are opti coat (oc), opti seal(os), clearkote carnuba moose wax(cmw),poxy, fk1000p, and fk pink wax, in no particaluar order.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys should i go with 5 or 6 inch pads? like i said the paints pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech
    thanks guys should i go with 5 or 6 inch pads? like i said the paints pretty good

Go with the 5". Slightly cheaper with the kit and the smaller pads usually are more efficient at cutting and product usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m going through the same process as you right now. Been detailing my cars for years but just getting into machine polishing. I decided on the Groits Garage because it is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. It gets good reviews here and other detailing websites.

To keep it simple and keep costs down I decided on UNO HD Uno HD Poxy Professional Sizes as a polish --- you use it to cut, polish and finish by changing pads, speed, pressure and Poxy as a LSP/Sealant as it seems to have good durability and great looks.

I`ve decided to stick with foam pads until I have more experience before moving to the Optimum MF pads.

I`m torn between 5.5" HD pads 3D Car Care; Car Wash, Car Wax, Auto Detailing supplies, Car Polishers, Car Buffers & accessories store and 5.5" LC Flat pads Lake Country Flat Pads Starting with 3 orange, 3 green (HD) or 3 White (LC) and 3 blue (LC) or 3 red (HD) About $53 for the LCs and $78 for the HDs. Both require a 5" backing plate.

There are plenty of great Sealants/LSPs out there if you don`t want to use Poxy--Zaino, FK, Optiseal, DG. Currently using DG105--very durable and not expensive.

Do as much reading as you can before you start and view as many videos as you can -- search around on this and other good detailing websites like Autogeek as there is allot of great "how to" info out there. I`ve made my decisions based on the great recommendations of the guys on this website and others.

Post Thanks / Like
    and just to confirm this will work with a PC7424 right? the backing plate? I see no mention of a counter weight, do i need a different one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaug
    I`m going through the same process as you right now. Been detailing my cars for years but just getting into machine polishing. I decided on the Groits Garage because it is more powerful and has a lifetime warranty. It gets good reviews here and other detailing websites.

To keep it simple and keep costs down I decided on UNO HD Uno HD Poxy Professional Sizes as a polish --- you use it to cut, polish and finish by changing pads, speed, pressure and Poxy as a LSP/Sealant as it seems to have good durability and great looks.

I`ve decided to stick with foam pads until I have more experience before moving to the Optimum MF pads.

I`m torn between 5.5" HD pads 3D Car Care; Car Wash, Car Wax, Auto Detailing supplies, Car Polishers, Car Buffers & accessories store and 5.5" LC Flat pads Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads CUSTOM 6 Pack, lake country flat pads . Starting with 3 orange, 3 green (HD) or 3 White (LC) and 3 blue (LC) or 3 red (HD) About $53 for the LCs and $78 for the HDs. Both require a 5" backing plate.

There are plenty of great Sealants/LSPs out there if you don`t want to use Poxy--Zaino, FK, Optiseal, DG. Currently using DG105--very durable and not expensive.

Do as much reading as you can before you start and view as many videos as you can -- search around on this and other good detailing websites like Autogeek as there is allot of great "how to" info out there. I`ve made my decisions based on the great recommendations of the guys on this website and others.

thanks! that was very helpful

Post Thanks / Like
    Could not get the link for the Lake Country Flat pads to post above. They carry them at a number of detailing websites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wascallyrabbit
    mf pads and uno. also consider griots machine instead of the pc, it is more powerful. nothing wrong with foam pads either. for foam pads you will need a cut, polish and finish type pads. i would go with min of 3ea.

other good suggestions will follow.

My recommendation also.

Thread Information