Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve searched around and I can`t find anything that really explains the relationship between DA pads and polishes and compounds.

I understand that wool is the most agressive pad and black foam is the softest.

I understand there are different amounts of cut in compounds.

However, what I don`t get is the relationship between the two. Would it ever be appropriate to apply something like Ultimate Compound with a black pad? If you did such a thing would it would it do? Just cut slowly? Would it leave less marring than using UC with a yellow pad? Would you ever do one pass with a yellow then go over it again with a less aggressive orange pad? Does it ever make sense to use compounds with just a plain jane microfiber bonnet?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pad Dependency

All abrasive polishes are ‘foam pad and applied pressure dependant’ as far as their paint correction abilities are concerned. Any abrasive / pad combination is reliant upon its most abrasive component.

If we consider the Lake County (LC) White foam (50 PPI) polishing pad as the baseline; any polish used will derive help from the abrasive abilities of the foam. Then consider the LC Blue (70 PPI) finishing pad has no abrasive ability and will contribute nothing to the cutting capability of a polish.

What is derived from this is that a polishes abrasive ability can be ‘fine tuned’ by using different combinations (abrasiveness) of polish and foam (the same thing is true of wool pads) and of course differing the amount of downward pressure (10-15 Lbs is the usual range) applied will also have an effect on the abrasives capability

Different pad / product combinations (least abrasive pad / polish first)

a) Base pad / product (least abrasive pad / product) if this combination does not provide the desired results, increase the aggressiveness of the technique or product selection.

b) Step-up 1 - using the same pad with a more abrasive product

c) Step-up II – use a less abrasive pad and the same product as used in step-up I

d) Step-up III- using the same pad with a more abrasive product

As can been ascertained from the above the total abrasive ability of a polish / foam pad combination is subject to many variables, the polishes abrasive ability is just the starting point

Factors that increase abrasion ability

• Increased speed (Velocity)

• Increased pressure (Compression)

• Use smaller pad(Reduced surface Area)

• Using a slower panel transition speed (Increased surface contact time)

• Reduce the working area

The key to the polishing process is to know how the paint will react with each pad / polish combination you consider using. You must know your product and what its capabilities are before using it. This is why a ‘test’ spot is so important.

The factors that affect the outcome -speed, friction (kinetic energy) applied pressure, foam pad actual surface contact area, pad grit number (abrasive ability) amount of surface lubrication available, the surface area and heat conductivity of material

See also - "Foam Pads I" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...am-pads-i.html

"Foam Pads II" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ml#post1451155

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information