Post Thanks / Like
    What cordless impact wrench do you use when working on a customer vehicle for taking of the wheels?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Snap-On only to take them off. Put them on by hand and torque with a torque wrench.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think removing customers` wheels is opening that old can o` worms. God only knows what somebody might blame you for down the road. It`s all about perception

WTS, I found an excellent cordless impact driver at Sears for around $119 after discounts. It kicks serious butt in the non-professional environment.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I`ve been toying with the idea of buying a rechargeable impact or two (really like the ones from SnapOn), I sure wouldn`t be using them to take off/put on wheel lugs, let alone on somebody else`s vehicles. :grinno:

Now if I were doing maintenance of work trucks or somesuch, that`d be different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ohh, I also should mention that C&D did a semi-serious write-up on 8 or 10 of these devices not too long ago. Maybe within the past year. BC, you should probably look for that article.

This discussion always reminds me of a story my buddy told me about when he pumped gas at a gas station as a kid. He kindly checked the woman`s oil and offered to top off her washer fluid. Guess what? Her wipers stopped working a few days later and she blamed the gas station for it, went to small claims and won! Only in America !! :wof:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Ohh, I also should mention that C&D did a semi-serious write-up on 8 or 10 of these devices not too long ago. Maybe within the past year. BC, you should probably look for that article.

This discussion always reminds me of a story my buddy told me about when he pumped gas at a gas station as a kid. He kindly checked the woman`s oil and offered to top off her washer fluid. Guess what? Her wipers stopped working a few days later and she blamed the gas station for it, went to small claims and won! Only in America !! :wof:
    I understand the liability, then, how about for yourself? If you`re out in the desert or somewhere remote or real nasty weather and you want to work fast, wouldn`t a cordless impact wrench save a whole bunch of time? You might even be able to help out your buddies or even someone stranded on the side of the road. You could save a lot of time working on your own vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen
    You could save a lot of time working on your own vehicle.

Agreed. I bought one earlier this year and luv having it. If I had known what I was missing, I would have purchased it 10 yrs ago. I really like it.

I don`t carry it in the car. I keep it in my tool chest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tom p.
    Agreed. I bought one earlier this year and luv having it. If I had known what I was missing, I would have purchased it 10 yrs ago. I really like it.

I don`t carry it in the car. I keep it in my tool chest.
    Tell me which one did you get?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive used a bunch of Cordless Impacts. I haven`t found any others that will touch the Snap-On ones. I have the 18v 1/2 inch, 14.4 3/8th and the 7.2 3/8, 1/4 and screw gun. I love em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen
    Tell me which one did you get?

I purchased the Craftsman tool. It included two batteries, charger + case for $120. It was on special and at a price I could not pass by. It will be 100% adequate for my needs. And it runs real nice. Battery life is better than I would have expected.

I would look at the C&D article and decide how much you want to spend. The sky is the limit !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokeman
    I haven`t found any others that will touch the Snap-On ones. I have the 18v 1/2 inch, 14.4 3/8th and the 7.2 3/8, 1/4 and screw gun. I love em.

How is that little 7.2v 3/8? Keeping in mind its obvious limitations and all that, it sure looks like a handy little thing.

Thread Information