Post Thanks / Like
    I am about some brand new headlights soon for my car, and I want to keep them protected from normal driving and the sun if possible. It seems the only option is to use a film over the lights, which I guess is similar to that used on front end bras.

I have seen the pre cut ones that Lamini-X sells, but is there one brand out there that is particularly better than others?

Also, once the film is installed can they be removed later on without damaging the UV coating on the headlights or leaving a sticky residue that can`t be moved without damaging the light?

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d actually say that`s a really good idea. I`ve heard good things about Lamin-X.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LampGardâ„¢ uses a tough 40 mil thick, double-polished urethane material that is optically clear and applies (peel & stick) directly to the surface. This product has built-in ultraviolet inhibitors that help prevent the material from drying, hardening or discolouring. Custom die-cut to fit your specific vehicle for a precise, perfect fit, it comes with easy-to-follow instructions
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Expel. Absolutely the best headlight protection I`ve found. Have used them for years on all of my cars and never a problem. Can be difficult to apply on compound angles but worth the effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have XPel on the headlamps and foglights of my Challenger. IIRC, the film is around 30mil thick. I was actually quite surprised just how hefty these things were when I took them out of the package. I could see how they would claim to help protect against relatively heavier impacts.

I will say that my experience is limited to just XPel but its what I settled on when I too was looking for asolution. I agree that they can be more difficult to apply on curved surfaces. I will need to redo my fogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new Xpel self healing (it`s their "Premium") film looks like it might be a winner for headlights, too.
    Sage advice from Greg Nichols: "Hey, Supe? When you`re trying to get the air bubble out of your syringe of Opti-Coat, don`t point it at your face, mmmkay?"

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing that concerns me with the headlight films is the removal of it. Whenever the film gets beat looking to the point where I want to replace it, I don`t want to end up ripping the UV layyer of the headlights off along with the film, and rather not deal with a film that leaves nasty and sticky adhesive behind. Have any of you all taken off headlight fillm and had any trouble with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, in my case I will have to remove the foglamp film at some point simply because I botched the install (didn`t heat it up enough so I got tiny bubbles). Here is a blurb from XPel`s site regarding removal of their product:

"What if I want to remove the shields at a later date?"

The removal process is just a matter of warming the plastic, and peeling them off. They will require some muscle to get them off, but they normally peel off without any residue left on the lens. If any adhesive at all remains behind, it may be removed by simply rubbing it with your thumb. The adhesive will then ball up and roll off.

As for damaging the lens underneath, I don`t imagine they are fragile enough to be compromised by the adhesive.

Mobile Detailing Services justin30513's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a friend that works for Lamin-X and their products are topnotch! Their headquarters is actually 25 minutes from my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a great thing to do on brand new cars before the headlights can get any scratches on nicks is to put the Lamin-X on them. I will be doing it on all of my future vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kean
    Here is a blurb from XPel`s site regarding removal of their product:

As for damaging the lens underneath, I don`t imagine they are fragile enough to be compromised by the adhesive.
    Thanks for posting that, at least I know that adhesive shouldn`t damage anything.

Do any of you all have DRLs on your vehicles in combination with the headlight film? After reading up on headlight film, I have seen on a few forums (Corvette and S2000) where people have had heat and stress cracking of the lamps develop over a fairly short period of time of installing the film. I am wondering if the film acts as a barrier and retaining the heat in the lamp housing causing the polycarbonate lenses to stress fracture from the excess heat?

Post Thanks / Like
    So anyone here remove the LaminX films without a problem? I`m considering replacing mine that I`ve had on for 2-3 years, but I don`t want to remove the UV protective coating on the headlight, nor do I want to have adhesive from the film all over the headlight.
    2003 BMW E46 M3 TiAg/ Cinnamon 6MT

Thread Information