Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I am on a strict budget, and i was wandering if it is possible to start a mobile detailing business for under 200 dollars. I was planning on using onr for the business. So i would need buckets, sponge, and microfiber towels. The wax, portable vacuum, interior cleaners should not be too expensive right. I think it is possible to do this. I figure i don`t need a large set up because i won`t have that much customers in the beginning.

But will i look unprofessional because i won`t be using a van or truck. I will be working out of my vehicle (jeep). I was thinking of saving more money before starting this business. Has anyone ever successfully started the mobile detailing business around this budget.

Post Thanks / Like
    A decent portable vacuum and a respectable set of microfiber cloths will easily cost you $200 alone. I got a decent 4hp KOBALT shop vac that was a discontinued model and heavily marked down and it was still $96 with my additional military discount. You could easily spend $100 just to start a supply of MF towels. You need 2 wash mitts, 2 drying towels, 8-10 general use towels, a waffle weave for the glass, 4 polish applicators and about 6-10 plush towels for wax removal and that will get you through 2 cars a day maybe.

It could also be debated whether or not this would really be a "detailing" business or not. In my sense of the word, the diff between detailing and washing is in your ability to do paint correction which requires $500 more in equipment and lots of experience as well. I think you should save more but then again, it couldn`t hurt to build up a customer base first before investing too much. Hell, I made it through 3.5 years of electrical engineering school with a $12 casio calculator. You could probably get something started for $200... Maybe get some cheap MF stuff at Walmart or Costco just to get going. Look on Craigslist or EBay for a Shop-VAC preferably one that converts to a blower quickly. Be resourceful!

Post Thanks / Like
    thats pretty cheap, but here are the thing I would get to help you out.

small vacuum to start ($40-50)

collinite 845 wax ($15, apply by hand applicator $1)

1 gal APC ($16)

5 drying towels ($25)

10 MF towels ($10)

ONR ($39)

tire dressing ($5)

few brushes (10)

Cheap bucket ($3)

2 grout sponges ($4)

window cleaner ($5)

Start off cheap and reinvest ALL the profits to build a better arsenal, and then start paying yourself once you have a solid 1000 in stuff, or at least some quality products...offer wash and waxes at say $50 bucks, interior jobs for 50-100, completes for 100-150 and you will easily make 1000-2000 in the first month off that....keep in mind, it sounds like you are basically starting a lower end, wash and wax detail business, not a high end luxury business doing paint correction on Ferraris and Lambos, so you dont need all top of the line towels and stuff to start out. Your clientele is not going to care about swirl marks.

why is the budget so low anyway? If you want to really start a business, not just a hobby, you should be able to save some more money to do things correctly. Even if money is tight, hold off on starting the business until you are actually ready to do it properly

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote name=`pmnewton`]A decent portable vacuum and a respectable set of microfiber cloths will easily cost you $200 alone. I got a decent 4hp KOBALT shop vac that was a discontinued model and heavily marked down and it was still $96 with my additional military discount. You could easily spend $100 just to start a supply of MF towels. You need 2 wash mitts, 2 drying towels, 8-10 general use towels, a waffle weave for the glass, 4 polish applicators and about 6-10 plush towels for wax removal and that will get you through 2 cars a day maybe.

Well i know i will need over a thousand dollars worth equipment to have a full detailing business, but i don`t have that kind of money right now. But i never knew the equipment costed that much, i thought microfiber cloths would be a lot cheaper. I saw some at wal mart for a low price before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    thats pretty cheap, but here are the thing I would get to help you out.

small vacuum to start ($40-50)

collinite 845 wax ($15, apply by hand applicator $1)

1 gal APC ($16)

5 drying towels ($25)

10 MF towels ($10)

ONR ($39)

tire dressing ($5)

few brushes (10)

Cheap bucket ($3)

2 grout sponges ($4)

window cleaner ($5)

Start off cheap and reinvest ALL the profits to build a better arsenal, and then start paying yourself once you have a solid 1000 in stuff, or at least some quality products...offer wash and waxes at say $50 bucks, interior jobs for 50-100, completes for 100-150 and you will easily make 1000-2000 in the first month off that....keep in mind, it sounds like you are basically starting a lower end, wash and wax detail business, not a high end luxury business doing paint correction on Ferraris and Lambos, so you dont need all top of the line towels and stuff to start out. Your clientele is not going to care about swirl marks.

why is the budget so low anyway? If you want to really start a business, not just a hobby, you should be able to save some more money to do things correctly. Even if money is tight, hold off on starting the business until you are actually ready to do it properly

Well i would like to start a mobile detailing business, it has interested me lately. My budget is slow because i am currently in college at the moment. My business will me more of a wash and wax type business. I plan on offering a complete detail also, once i get the right equipment. Thanks for the good suggestion on things i should buy, that will help me out a lot. Those prices you listed are a good starting point for me also.

Post Thanks / Like
    no most likely not it all. it will add up to over at least 400 dollars for all the necessary items needed for detailing mobile

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything is. Possible. Capitalism is the name of the game buddy. Good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerevan
    no most likely not it all. it will add up to over at least 400 dollars for all the necessary items needed for detailing mobile

That may be true, but i plan on starting out small. I might not even off the full detail, when i first start. I might just stick with the wash/wax type jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your current level of experience? What do you already have? I think that if you even regularly wash your own cars, try new products, etc, then you will see that starting a business for $200 is not likely. If you just sort of see it as a business opportunity but do not really have any experience or inventory of products, I don`t think that is a reasonable goal. But a lot of people on autopia probably have more than enough stuff to start a mobile detailing business without buying a thing for months.

It sounds like you don`t have any products. The basics would be what was already suggested - 845 wax (looks good, easy to apply, good durability, cheap), wax applicators, a couple of home depot grout sponges, two homer buckets from home depot, a home depot rigid shop vac, a package of microfibers from Sams club or Costco, a drying towel from WalMart, whatever tire dressing is on clearance, and zep citrus APC from home depot. You`ll also need some spray bottles. If you have access to water, you`ll need a hose, nozzle, and shampoo. If not, ONR will work.

Looking longer term and at the prospect of doing paint correct and having a full mobile detailing business, I`d say $2000 is on the cheaper end and $2500-3000 worth of materials would be a more normal range. This would get you a polisher, pads, polishes, a variety of waxes to have variable pricings, various brushes, carpet cleaner, window sealant, glazes, chrome polishers, aluminum polishers, wheel degreaser, glass cleaner, more towels, detail sprays, spray wax, I mean - its a long list...

Post Thanks / Like
    shoot, I have about 1500 in product with me every single time I leave the house!

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out of the back of my pickup with about $200 worth of stuff doing basic wash/wax/vacuum type jobs. So yes, it can be done, but it`s a long tough road starting out that small. I now have a shop and one employee and now looking for another employee and we are absolutely slammed busy. It took a few years, alot of really hard work and never giving up when times were tough and I`m still far from where I need to be to call it successful. If you think you have what it takes to make it work and are willing to work hard through the tough times, then by all means it can be done but it will not be easy. Every penny you make will need to go right back into the business and if there is too long of a hiccup of no business coming in, you`re done. Lack of start up capital is the biggest business killer there is so make sure you know what you`re getting yourself into.

Stay on this site, read, read, read, research everything you can, do quality work and you can make it happen. Best of luck!
    Rich Grasa

Pro Mobile Detailing based in New Milford, CT

www.explicitdetails.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OP, what stuff do you already have? Anyone considering getting into the business should already have a personal supply of stuff they are familiar with. Have you used ONR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Under $200 to start a business doing Detailing?? I say NO. Maybe car washing, but I wouldn`t call that Detailing.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by extrabolts
    What is your current level of experience? What do you already have? I think that if you even regularly wash your own cars, try new products, etc, then you will see that starting a business for $200 is not likely. If you just sort of see it as a business opportunity but do not really have any experience or inventory of products, I don`t think that is a reasonable goal. But a lot of people on autopia probably have more than enough stuff to start a mobile detailing business without buying a thing for months.

Looking longer term and at the prospect of doing paint correct and having a full mobile detailing business, I`d say $2000 is on the cheaper end and $2500-3000 worth of materials would be a more normal range. This would get you a polisher, pads, polishes, a variety of waxes to have variable pricings, various brushes, carpet cleaner, window sealant, glazes, chrome polishers, aluminum polishers, wheel degreaser, glass cleaner, more towels, detail sprays, spray wax, I mean - its a long list...

I don`t have any supplies right now, and i don`t wash cars regularity. I think this is a great business oppurtunity to start. But i have washed a car before and cleaned the interior before. I just haven`t used the wax or paint selanet or anything like that. I plan on practicing for a month, everyday until i feel comfortable enough to start my business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotaguy
    shoot, I have about 1500 in product with me every single time I leave the house!

I might need more money than i expected.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplicitDetails
    I started out of the back of my pickup with about $200 worth of stuff doing basic wash/wax/vacuum type jobs. So yes, it can be done, but it`s a long tough road starting out that small. I now have a shop and one employee and now looking for another employee and we are absolutely slammed busy. It took a few years, alot of really hard work and never giving up when times were tough and I`m still far from where I need to be to call it successful. If you think you have what it takes to make it work and are willing to work hard through the tough times, then by all means it can be done but it will not be easy. Every penny you make will need to go right back into the business and if there is too long of a hiccup of no business coming in, you`re done. Lack of start up capital is the biggest business killer there is so make sure you know what you`re getting yourself into.

Stay on this site, read, read, read, research everything you can, do quality work and you can make it happen. Best of luck!

I know it will take hard work, but i plan on learning a lot on this site and through experience. This is something i want to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information