Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried chrome polish, ZAIO, glass cleaners, but I am having no luck. The stains on this windshield are set very well.

Sorry for the crappy picture.

Your help is appreciated.
    Daily Vehicle: 2001 Chevy Astro

Devoted student of the detailing arts.

Minivan nut & RC enthusiast.

Club DJ and Music fanatic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a rotary buffer and some polish?

Buff the glass.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    The way i deal with those types of spots is to apply your glass cleaner to the window and use 0000 steal wool as and scrub the area then just wipe off the residue and finish cleaning the window.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clay will take care of those spots easily.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikejtracy
    The way i deal with those types of spots is to apply your glass cleaner to the window and use 0000 steal wool as and scrub the area then just wipe off the residue and finish cleaning the window.

Is that steel wool available at home depot or other stores like it? Or is it a special type that I can only find online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bis- Be a little careful with the steel wool. While it`s an old, time-tested approach that`s worked great countless times, today`s autoglass is quite a bit softer than such stuff used to be and you sure don`t want to mess it up. I have no idea how hard *your* windshield is, but...well, maybe you don`t know either So just remember to do a test-spot.

I myself would probably do this the expensive (and probably overkill-cautious) way with Glass Polish and Glass Polishing Pads from Griot`s. That`s if I didn`t just use a rotary and some of my old Meguiar`s Fine Cut Cleaner (which always works super for this IME).

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever you decide on, test in a small lower corner first and inspect the heck out of the test spot with tons of lighting differences. Worst thing to do is ruin a whole windshield!

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn. Good advice as always. I went to my local auto stores to find glass polish and none of them had it. I have a polishing pad with a drill adapter so I use it at low speed for stuff that would be too demanding to do with my hands. Are there any other products that I could use which are available in my local store? Something that is close to glass polish?

I have plastic polish, chrome polish and ZAIO, I just did not try the drill on the glass, I just used my hand and so minimal results... Should I retry this methods with the drill?

If I chose to use the steel wool: "Is that steel wool available at home depot or other stores like it? Or is it a special type that I can only find online? "

Post Thanks / Like
    Bis- Sorry, I haven`t bought steel wool since forever :nixweiss

Nor have I used a drill adaptor (well, not since the 1970s), but it seems like it`d be a big PIA.

I dunno what`s available OTC in your area, but the general idea is that you want something pretty harsh. That Meguiar`s Fine Cut Cleaner (I can`t remember...is it M02?) is sometimes available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just any mild polish and a wool pad will do the trick and not hurt the glass.

Could use foam but that will take longer.

Bet I have done a half doz windshields for some friends that work at a plant here in town, same problem.

Took me about 10 minutes to make em just fine.

Glass is hard, but steel wool, unless #0000 and a lubricant used, will put very small micro marring in the glass and then the concern may return really soon.

The crap now has more to grab hold off if the steel wool does mar the glass.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron Ketcham- Regarding the softer nature of today`s autoglass, the plastic razor blades that AI/VG and others sell come to mind...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but they won`t handle his problem.If you like the plastic blades, you may want to stock up, as MarHyde Bondo was the biggest importer, and since 3M bought them, don`t think they will be around for much longer.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I want to avoid the steel wool, it makes sense that even if small, it will leave some marring. I really don`t know, but I`d hate to risk it and find out the hard way.

So in terms of polish so far Meguiar`s Fine Cut Cleaner has been recommended. It is not available locally. Are there any other products that don`t require a machine to run?

I just tried my chrome polish with the drill and the wool pad, It worked but not great.

Sorry guys, I don`t want to spend on the rotary tool since I do everything pretty much by hand and don`t plan to start a business with this stuff.... (yet, lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Decent little rotary from Harbor Frieght, catch in on sale for under $50.

Gives you some to practice with and it`s great for some furniture refinishing and polishing as well.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Might have to look into it. Thanks Grumpy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information