Post Thanks / Like
    Hi All,

Been lurking for a while and you guys seem very knowledgeable and friendly, so I thought I`d go ahead and post.

Sorry for the real lack of knowledge, I`ve had a shed of a car for a long time and have recently replaced it with something that i want

to take some pride in..!

I recently washed, dried, clayed, polished and waxed my car, however it is due another clean and i want to re-wax it, as I`ve recently purchased some poorboys nattys wax and wheel sealant.

My plans were to do the following:

Rinse car thoroughly

pre-wash wheel arches and areas of heavier dirt using surfex HD & rinse again

clean and rinse wheels using dedicated wheel brush and cleaning gel.

wash car using 2 bucket method, car shampoo and sheep`s-wool wash mitt.

final rinse

dry thoroughly

polish using turtlewax ICE liquid polish

wax using poorboys nattys

apply wheel sealant

My questions are:

Does my plan look okay and in the correct order, or is there anything i have missed out? all opinion very welcome

What concentrations of Surfex HD will i need to clean arches and areas of heavier dirt (i.e lower panels?)

Can i use Surfex to clean my windscreen, if so what concentration?

Do i need to clay the car again before waxing?

Do i need to remove the old wax (BMW hard wax) before applying poorboys, if so what with?

Many thanks.

MTFU

Post Thanks / Like
    Wlecome MTFU!

To start with please define `recently` for the polish/lsp session. What were the products you used in your last session? These 2 questions should give an idea of what might remain on the car. Pics are always helpful as well to see the paint status.

Generally speaking for what you are are trying to achieve (i.e. polish / wax), the idea would be to first take all prior protection off by stripping/decontamination wash, clay etc., then polish, then LSP.

I have no input about your surfex questions.

If your session was really recent and agressive then you may not need to clay and polish, but just strip-wash, use a cleansing cream to create a favorable substrate for your wax and then just wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ch96067.

Thanks for your reply.

Recently means approx 2 weeks ago. The products i used were BMW shampoo, meguiars clay bar, turtlewax ICE liquid polish and BMW hard wax.

What would the advantages be in stripping all of the prior protection off compared to simply giving it another thorough clean, polish and wax.?

If i were to strip the wax off and use a cleansing cream, what products do you suggest would be the best for the job?

Thanks once again.

MTFU

Post Thanks / Like
    ...........???????????................

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify, despite its name, Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish isn`t a polish - it`s a sealant (they call it a "clear wax formulated with completely new technology that blends silicone and hydrocarbon polymers").

Now to your question, I don`t see any need to strip the protection from your car each time you plan to reapply your wax or sealant - just do a wash, then re-apply your product. You will want to periodically clay the car, and polish (if needed), but every two weeks seems a trifle excessive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Umi000 - many thanks

I wasn`t planning on repeated said process EVERY 2 weeks, i just wanted to do it again soon before the imminent bad weather sets in, to ensure it is covered throughout that period, if that makes sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would certainly clay the car before any waxing.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MTFU
    Hi Ch96067.

Thanks for your reply.

Recently means approx 2 weeks ago. The products i used were BMW shampoo, meguiars clay bar, turtlewax ICE liquid polish and BMW hard wax.

What would the advantages be in stripping all of the prior protection off compared to simply giving it another thorough clean, polish and wax.?

If i were to strip the wax off and use a cleansing cream, what products do you suggest would be the best for the job?

Thanks once again.

MTFU

Since it is only 2 weeks I wouldn`t worry about stripping anything off. I would just wash and rewax. I rewax my car every 4 weeks without claying and polishing (only do the works every six months). But as you see through Barry`s point by no means there is a correct/universal way of working.

The point *for me* of getting the paint free of everything is that polishing goes on on naked paint to maximise its effectiveness.

Finally, for stripping previous protection I use iron-x, clay and acrysol or IPA but there are many possibilities. Search for this a bit to make up you own mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks a lot guys, you`ve been a big help.....

Thread Information