Post Thanks / Like
    A friend`s car is left with spots of transport wax on the wheels after dewaxing from the dealer.

Time has passed, so he thinks he can`t take it back for free of charge cleaning (well he may try during the next service). He has already tried `solventy` products (like I have read here) with about 60-70% success, but lumps remain.

I suggested clay. Any other thoughts/proposals?

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    a good strong wheel cleaner but it may take several applications. using clay and wheel cleaner at the same time may speed up the process. a good de waxing product might do the trick. if the wheels are painted a paint decon system would do the trick. paint prep stuff like prep-sol or ipa would be something else to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    What brand of vehicle, what country produced in?

Give me some clues.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Chevy Spark. Not sure about the production country. No pics unfortunately as well. I know it is little to go on and I appreciate any suggestion from chemical to mechanical means.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Transit protection waxes used to protect paintwork, metal and glass surfaces can be removed with either P21S Total Auto Wash or 3Mâ„¢ Adhesive Remover and Surface Cleaner; both are safe solvents that are very effective for the removal of copolymer or Microcrystalline wax protective coatings from new vehicle exterior surfaces, especially imported vehicles or those standing in holding yards for extended periods
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the info. I think the 3m looks a more accessible option so far. Could something like 1Z acrysol also work?

Post Thanks / Like
    If the vehicle was produced, in the last three or four years, ( in an EU country) the coating is a synthetic transit coating, not a wax based.

You may be surprised how easy it is to remove, if you take some time to allow "dwell" or setting of a quality all purpose on the spots.

You can`t hurry the process, just keep it "soaked" with an APC, checking to see, with your finger nail if the spots are "getting soft", IE, leaves a mark in the deposit, may take up to thirty minutes to work.

I may be wrong, since I don`t know what plant assembled the vehicle, so good luck.

If the APC, soaked, doesn`t do the job, then go ahead and try a petro based solvent.

Not the best thing to use on the polyester or acrylic powder coat that is on the wheels, so just be careful.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    3M makes a great adhesive remover and make sure to clean the area very well after using any event of course

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone guys for the tips. I will pass it along.

Thread Information