Post Thanks / Like
    The family just picked up a new 2011 bmw x3, while we were there they kept trying to sell us their packages( $1500 for tires 3/yrs etc), they also offered a $1500 gold package in which they apply clearcoat i guess, can`t find it online anywhere. But what would you guys recommend for waxes or sealents? or should i go with the package?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would recommend taking it to a reputable detailer in your area and having it polished to perfection and having a "Coating" put on. The 2 most popular are Opti-coat and Cquartz. Both are very comparable but Opti-coat seems to be more "user friendly".

The coating goes on EVERYTHING. Glass, wheels, trim, paint and headlights. It makes the surface incredibly slick so contaminants that do actually wind up sticking on the surface come off with ease. And...drum roll...you don`t have to wax it...zz:

Just my 2 cents.

Josh Herzberger

Dillsburg, PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I hope it isn`t jet black.

Same as above as far as the Q.

Get a detailer do the job from the forums, do not let those monkeys touch your car.

Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti- coat does not make the surface slick at all, at least not to the touch. But it does release contaminants very well.

At the very least I would have the car thoroughly washed, decontaminated and clay barred, and do a 1 step polish or AIO + sealant.

Post Thanks / Like
    a coating would be the best for long term protection but sealants/waxes give good results but need to be reapplied more frequently. kinda need to decide which way you want to go with the paint protection thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Kidgogeta! Enjoy safely your new ride.

For anyone (first of all yourself) to be able to answer your initial question (i.e. to take the package or not), it would be very helpful to know what exactly the dealer is proposing.

Personally, after getting them to say / write exactly what they will do/put on your car for your hard earned $1500, I would ask them to give contact details of owners who have taken the same service. This way you could crosscheck the validity of any claims the dealer will make as well as their service level.

Having these important facts straight, you can then go on assesing/comparing with the other great options you will get through this post (i.e. keep detailing the car yourself, or trust a *pro* to do it for you through a long term coating or another scheme etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgogeta
    The family just picked up a new 2011 bmw x3, while we were there they kept trying to sell us their packages( $1500 for tires 3/yrs etc), they also offered a $1500 gold package in which they apply clearcoat i guess, can`t find it online anywhere. But what would you guys recommend for waxes or sealents? or should i go with the package?

Just say no to what the dealer offers and stick to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    knowing what i know i would tell them no. most the package i`ve seen come with it own wash and booster that need to be reapplied usually monthly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don`t even let the dealer take off the protective wrapping. Tell them to not even touch the interior protectant either. There is a ton of threads on here with your exact question so get on it and do some reading! Wash, clay, decontamination, light polish if needed, and seal her up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdaytomorrow
    Don`t even let the dealer take off the protective wrapping.

I think it was Accumulator who made a post about this. IIRC, he instructed the dealership not to remove the wrapping and when he did it later he found a defect in the paint. Took it back to the dealer and they said tough ****.

Let the dealership remove the wrapping, then inspect the paint. If you find any issues bring it to their attention at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detail
    I think it was Accumulator who made a post about this. IIRC, he instructed the dealership not to remove the wrapping and when he did it later he found a defect in the paint. Took it back to the dealer and they said tough ****.

Let the dealership remove the wrapping, then inspect the paint. If you find any issues bring it to their attention at that time.

Yeah, that was a, uhm...disappointment

But then when I let the Mazda dealer unwrap the MPV they scratched it too deeply to correct, so you takes your chances whichever way you go.

If you know the dealer, take it in the wrapper and do it yourself, with an understanding regarding the "what if"s. IF you don`t know/trust the dealer then either risk letting them unwrap it or be like Bill D and unwrap it yourself at the dealership.

kidgogeta- Welcome to Autopia! As you can probably tell, we`re a bit off the deep end here about this stuff

But seriously, don`t get those packages if you really care about having it nice. I`d see if some reputable Autopian is in your area, one of us could take care of this no problem. Then you can concentrate of learning how to wash without marring up the finish, which is a lot harder than most would ever imagine.

OTOH...[warning, Autopian Heresy follows ] A friend of ours gets the packages, lets the dealership take care of all the cleanups/washes/etc. and she lives a happy life with a vehicle that looks OK to her. I think it looks like a disaster, but it`s not mine and thus it`s none of my business; I`m just glad she`s happy because all that *REALLY* matters is how the owner of the vehicle feels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll just nod in agreement. Don`t do it. You can do a far better job yourself or by instructing a reputable detailer what you want done. In either case, do your research here regarding products and technique if you have any questions. Your X3 will stand out from the rest and you will certainly appreciate it.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot guys, i didn`t get the package it seemed like that was a extra way for them to squeeze a few extra bucks outta of me. The truck is mineral silver (a very unique color) with a 2 tone mojave and black interior. (the top pic)

So anybody know any reputable autopians around the lower mainland area?

edit: read some threads most people are saying wash, clay, polish, opti coat

Post Thanks / Like
    lower mainland is still pretty vague.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgogeta
    edit: read some threads most people are saying wash, clay, polish, opti coat..

I myself would do a "decontamination" (basically just a pair of additional washes done with "special stuff") either instead of, or in addition to, the clay, but otherwise that would be a fine approach.

As noted, at some point you`ll need to provide more specific locale info, or else figure out which Autopian Pro is closest to you.

Thread Information