Post Thanks / Like
    When I was cleaning my wheels, I noticed there was what looks to be sand all over my wheel wells/fender liner and lower panels. It looks and feels like sand but it`s stuck on like it was glued. Claybar doesnt work. I can use my nail to pick them off, even that takes quite some force. I dont know how long it has been there.The last time I was my car was about 2 months ago.

Majority of it was on my passenger side. Driver`s side is not so bad.

What do I do? I dont mind scraping the plastic fender liner, but how do I remove the "sand" from my painted panels?

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably road paint. I`d pre-soak with APC and blast it with a pressure washer(get really close). Plastic liners seem have great releasing properties unlike paint.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    could be cement or concrete or sand mixed just right to create the same basic compound. If that is the case you should proceed with caution on the paint. The hardening of cement is a chemical process. In order to get it to release it`s grip you need to reverse that process. It is a slow process and there are special products out there for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be road paint with glass beads mixed in to make it reflective... some communities mark crosswalk borders and stop lines with this type of paint... mine does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGonz
    It could be road paint with glass beads mixed in to make it reflective... some communities mark crosswalk borders and stop lines with this type of paint... mine does.

Upon closer inspection some of the chunks do look clear like glass. Only the white paint got on my paint. The glass chunks are in my fender liner.

I will try Meg`s APC to soak the paint. What ratio?

Alot of it is hard to get off. I tried really hard with my finger nail and it wont budge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it happen in an area that you are familar with, a road or bridge that you drive regularly?

This is the time of year that counties, cities and states will apply a sealer to bridge surfaces or sometime other road surfaces.

It is clear and it sounds like that may be what you have on the vehicle.

If you know where it came from, go to the road vehicle barn offices of those in charge, etc or such and ask them what it is, does the supplier have a safe method to remove it.

Grumpy

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Road Paint (Traffic Lane Paint)

Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Correction / Removal - use 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer’s clay or a plastic razor blade, 3M Eraser Wheel Detailer’s Clay or try wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

Road Paint Remover (wipes) – TOTL; Lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application.

Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo and a spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint that is less than 90 days old) The same technique can be used for old tar removal.

What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham
    Did it happen in an area that you are familar with, a road or bridge that you drive regularly?

This is the time of year that counties, cities and states will apply a sealer to bridge surfaces or sometime other road surfaces.

It is clear and it sounds like that may be what you have on the vehicle.

If you know where it came from, go to the road vehicle barn offices of those in charge, etc or such and ask them what it is, does the supplier have a safe method to remove it.

Grumpy

I think i found exactly where I ran over the paint on my drive home today. I`ve contacted my DOT.

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT
    Road Paint (Traffic Lane Paint)

Is a pigmented resin system, very high in solids with a colour aggregate and is more like an adhesive than paint; it contains silica (glass) micro beads that help reflect light, however they can cause scratches if you use mechanical removal.

Correction / Removal - use 3M Adhesive Remover and detailer’s clay or a plastic razor blade, 3M Eraser Wheel Detailer’s Clay or try wet-sanding with 2000 - 2500 grit finishing paper and a Unigrit block.

Road Paint Remover (wipes) – TOTL; Lay the smooth side of the wipe over the contamination to saturate the surface. Let it sit for about one minute to soften the paint. Use the textured side of a new wipe and rub vigorously. Use firm pressure and a lot of action. Particularly difficult cases may take a second application.

Once you have removed the road paint, wash off the chemical with shampoo and a spot polish should bring back the original shine. (Do not use on paint that is less than 90 days old) The same technique can be used for old tar removal.

I`ve ordered some plastic razor blades, should come tomorrow. Can I use Goop Off instead of 3M adhesive remover?

Post Thanks / Like
    I fear Goof Off might be too strong/harmful for clear coats.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely drove though something like road paint which is always bad times. I would caution using any solvents on it due to damage of the clear coat but when it comes down to it, it might take a strong solvent or acid to get that off. Always test first in a small area to see what happens though?

Post Thanks / Like
    The plastic blades are something I use all the time. Good stuff. Let us know how it turns out.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Thread Information