Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I was detailing my 2006 GTI MKV this afternoon and saw this above the drivers side wheel well:

The rest of my car is fine, I do a complete detail twice a year (spring & winter prep). Anyone else have this or know how this happens? It`s bubbled off the panel and feels like I could rip it off exposing the panel. I thought that VAG cars did pretty well b/c of their hard clearcoat.
    Michiana Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like a rust bubble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup! And it looks like, from the photo that the lip area has been compromised, breaking the e-coat and the hem flange, allowing moisture and road corossives to enter under the paint.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, looks like the quarter broke away from the outer wheelhouse. Definately an inside out failure and not paint failure. Might have been caused from kicking up some heavy debris? Good luck doing a non-evasive repair that will last.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the input. I`m taking it to the dealer this week, I guess some other Golf MKVs have this problem, where there`s a foam insert in the fender (for sound deadening I suppose) that can lead to this bubbling it gets exposed to moisture somehow.
    Michiana Detail

Post Thanks / Like
    Ford and Chrysler require the anti rust inhibitor we make for them under private label, be used anytime a panel is opened up, this is done after all paint work is finished.

Now days, there are several other manufacturers requiring the use of the same product, but under the ValuGard brand be used.

This is the result of I-CAR testing and prove outs, plus a couple of the bigger insurance companies.

Don`t know if the vehicle was bought new, or used, if new was a quicky repair of some port or lot damage was done, with out applying the anti-rust compound, etc, etc.

I see a lot of vehicles that have never had any body repairs done, showing the same damage after a few years of being on the road.

As you stated, could be due to some road debris kicking up, etc.

I have people around here coming up to me every week, (knowing of my background) asking why their 2006 or 2004, etc pickup, van, car is showing bubbling of paint, usually around the rear wheel wells, tail gates, even edges of hoods, door hem flanges, etc.

The vehicles warranty does not cover this, so read the manual and what warranty covers what when buying.

The lawyers for the car companies are real good at fine print and if not a proven manufacturing defect, they won`t cover this after 6 months to a year, in the majority of manufacturers.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is a deadener foam in there, it will collect corossives and hold them, and over time the foam will abrade the ecoat and start rusting. Honda/Acura models were famous for this from the early 80`s up until the late 90`s.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars
    Thanks everyone for the input. I`m taking it to the dealer this week, I guess some other Golf MKVs have this problem, where there`s a foam insert in the fender (for sound deadening I suppose) that can lead to this bubbling it gets exposed to moisture somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ll be honest in that I have never seen a bubble like that before...it makes me cringe because it looks like the paint is boiling - "queue" the sounds of pain.

I really hope everything works out for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is likely you`re still under the corrosion warranty for the car. You *could* talk to the dealer about it, but it`s likely they will pin it on normal wear and tear/maintenance issue. As mentioned the inner liner looks like it came away, exposed some metal....and whamo.
    Click here to see what I`ve been working on, or here to see my YouTube page!

Post Thanks / Like
    Trying to get satisfaction from "rust perforation warranties" (scare-quotes intentional ) can be an, uhm....interesting experience. Good luck with that.

IME, unless there`s a manufacturing defect [insert slam at Mazda Re their MPVs here] most such corrosion can be avoided simply by keeping things well-detailed. If you detail the wheelwells as often/well as you do the car`s hood they seldom rust out. Even to-the-metal scratches can be kept from rusting badly with just a little care- keep `em clean and well-LSPed (if you can`t bother with rust converer) and even winter salt/etc. shouldn`t be much of a problem, or at least it seldom is for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a definite failure and probably not covered under warranty. Unfortunately nothing is built to last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    VWoA does have a perforation warranty but not sure how this will be interpreted. I would definitely follow up with your dealer, though. Be nice, get someone on your side and things can happen. After all, VW (who is aiming for major grouth in the USA in the next 5 years) can`t have relatively new cars with defects like this hurting the brand. Be sure to mention that you have a few THOUSAND friends nationwide who want to know the results of your inquiry as well.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    It still goes back to "what does the printed, legal wording say in the warranty part of the owners manual?"

I find it a bit difficult to find that with a 2006 model, they would cover such an event.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like
    vag cars usually have a ten year warranty against rust as long as there has not been any accident or repairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufacturing defect, hope all goes well on your quest.

Grumpy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information