Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

I went ahead and got the MF DA system, but it`s not removing the minor swirls from the paint on my S8. Someone had piped in on another thread that the D300 correction compound may not be aggressive enough for Audi paint and I should have listened.

What would be the next natural step? Could I start with M105 and then move to the D300 after that? And then finish up with the D301 finishing wax?

Thanks,

Rob
    Rob

40, Tacoma, WA

Total NOOB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattRob
    Hi guys,

I went ahead and got the MF DA system, but it`s not removing the minor swirls from the paint on my S8. Someone had piped in on another thread that the D300 correction compound may not be aggressive enough for Audi paint and I should have listened.

What would be the next natural step? Could I start with M105 and then move to the D300 after that? And then finish up with the D301 finishing wax?

Thanks,

Rob

Or call me today and we`ll see if we can dial in a procedure with what you`ve got.

(805) 478-1658 cell

Post Thanks / Like
    i would think the meg. mf system would work well on audi paint. but before you buy something else i would call kevin brown he`s one of the master when it comes to da and meg mf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown
    Or call me today and we`ll see if we can dial in a procedure with what you`ve got.

(805) 478-1658 cell

Thank, Kevin! Little late tonight, so if it`s alright with you I`ll call tomorrow.
    Rob

40, Tacoma, WA

Total NOOB

Post Thanks / Like
    QuattRob- You`re in good hands with Kevin Brown :xyxthumbs

But FWIW, yeah...M105 oughta work OK on the S8. I`ve corrected my D2 series Audis with less aggressive stuff than that, just took a while (well....quite a while). Right before it got sideswiped, I fixed a few RIDS on my wife`s A8 with M105/orange foam (via the KBM) and it worked fine (even if it did still take a few tries).

Heh heh...just wait until you tackle the inevitable scratches behind the door handles, where you have to work by hand :soscared: Yeah, it *can* be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    QuattRob:

What size (diameter) pads are you using and what type of Porter-Cable Dual-Action Random Orbital (DA) are you using?

If you are using an older DA, it may not have the muscle (motor torque) to rotate a 6" pad. That is why Meguiar`s made a 5" pad for older DA`s.

I think it is Accumulator who states that "better" results are achieved using smaller diameter pads with DA because the torque is not lost at the edge of the pad because of less deflection (bending) of a smaller, though, obviously, it will take a lot longer to cover the same area if you were using a larger diameter pad. This is one reason pro-detailers still prefer rotary orbital buffers over DA: more motor torque and truer transmission of that torque to the edges of a pad via the rotary motion. (yes, there is a LONG thread on the rotary versus the DA in this forum)

That said, however, newer versions of the DA, like the model from Griots Garage or Meg`s G110V2 DA, offer additional torque with the random-orbital motion that is "safer" for the novice/newbee to polish a surface. This is one of the reasons Meg`s developed the microfiber system and the polishes to go with them: to achieve great results without the "fear-factor" of using a rotary or the time needed (experience) to master a rotary. But it still requires the correct machine, pad size and technique to achieve the proper results.

I see Kevin Brown has asked you to PM him: There is NO ONE who is a better authority on this subject.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Any update on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie
    I think it is Accumulator who states that "better" results are achieved using smaller diameter pads with DA because the torque is not lost at the edge of the pad because of less deflection (bending) of a smaller..

Right, though I think it`s a matter of too much *friction* from the surface area of the larger pad.

That said, however, newer versions of the DA, like the model from Griots Garage or Meg`s G110V2 DA, offer additional torque with the random-orbital motion that is "safer" for the novice/newbee to polish a surface...

Yeah, the Griot`s is impressive even with a 6-6.5" pad, and I was a hard-sale on that, never expected it to work so well.

But I was able to correct Audis with the older PCs and the little pads too, just took forever and a day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can`t comment about the Megs MF pads, but I used Surbufs on a Cyclo to level micromarring on my A4 and I know Kevin Brown has posted about both, so the Megs ought to be fine once you figure out your regimen. I followed with a foam pad via rotary. It worked well. Remember to do IPA wipe downs when using the "M twins".
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I`ve had such good results with the mf system that`s pretty much all I use now for compounding at least. I`ve had a few cases of doing a drop of d300 and a drop of 105 to get a little more cut, but beyond that it`s always worked well for me. The one thing that really helped me though was moving from cleaning the pad with a brush after every panel to using compressed air, it was like a night and day difference. When I wasn`t using compressed air it felt like I lost some cut after a couple panels. FWIW, I use the 5.5" and 3" pads only (never tried the bigger 6.5" ones), speed 4 with the GGDA and one click above 4 on the PC. The other thing is I`ve heard a lot of people like to use straight 105 with the mf pads, and it supposedly dusts considerably less than with foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in updating this. Had the flu earlier this week so just finally got to work on it yesterday. To answer a couple questions, I`m using a 7424XP and the DA MF system with 5" pads.

Kevin was good enough to chat with me a bit and give me some tips. So yesterday I spent a good seven hours polishing, and still was only able to remove about 1/2 to 2/3 of the swirls. Keep in mind, the swirls weren`t horrible to start with. I probably spent two hours on the hood alone. I tried varying speeds, and noticed that I got the best results on the highest speed setting with enough pressure to only get only 1-3 pad rotations per second. I experimented with using more and less product, with and without supplemental wetting with distilled water in a spray bottle. To it`s credit, the MF system DID make the paint look better. Less hazy and the metallic flake coming through more. It really does look great, until you find a reflection of the sun in it and see the swirls. Not something you`d notice from ten feet away.

I probably should have gotten some M105 and tried it, but this has been going on for a week and no one stocks it locally here, so if I order some then the car`s gotta sit for another week before it`s finished. Yesterday, after polishing, I was able to get one coat of the finishing wax on before my back gave out on me. Car`s still sitting in the garage and will get (hopefully) another coat tonight, then maybe another on Sunday.

I`ll try the M105 later this fall when it`s time to do it again.

I have no doubt that the system is a good product, and that others will and have gotten great results, but the clear on my S8 must just be too much for it; or too much for me and my lack of experience :hmph:

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

-Rob
    Rob

40, Tacoma, WA

Total NOOB

Post Thanks / Like
    It generally seems wool/surbuf > Megs MF > foam are what people are getting for results in terms of cutting power in discs. Many people can chime in with their experiences with the excessive hardness of Audi paint, so you`re not alone in this battle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, don`t feel bad. Audi clear is a killer. I had to resort to my rotary just to jewel the finish in my last step and two hours on one panel is pretty typical IME
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely call Kevin. He will get it all squared away.

If I need more cut with the MF system I tilt the pad. I explain it more in this small write-up. Not trying to whore out my thread, it just has changed the way I use the MF system for the better.

Edging the DA

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like
    QuattRob- Glad you`re feeling better, and I bet the S8 looks greatly improved.

Now that it`s overall better, maybe you could try a panel-by-panel approach, where you do one panel when you have the time and inclination. That way it won`t be too overwhelming a job.

Want to spend some more money? If you used a Flex 3401 polisher with a Meguiar`s burgundy foam cutting pad (even the older 7006) and M105 you could save yourself a *LOT* of time. Opportunity costs, you know I`d want to spend the least time possible, but it`s easy for me to say "spend money, not time" when it`s somebody else`s money

Just got new Dunlops on *my* S8 yesterday, gotta seal up the wheels today and I might as well repolish/seal the dust shields and brake bits while the wheels are off, do it now before they *really* need redone. Man-oh-man do I love these cars!

Thread Information