Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The record heat, lack of precipitation, and resulting water restrictions here in the Dallas has forced me to look at the rinseless washes. For the most part, I have always been a “2-bucket method” guy as my first foray into the rinseless method left me a little wanting. I resisted QEW but decided to try the original ONR and DP 4-in-1 products when they first came out. I followed the QEW techniques outlined by Mosca and White95 for ONR/DP (I am surprised I still had these bookmarked):

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...-part-1-a.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...ead-mitts.html

Needless to say, I wasn’t exactly impressed with either product. The complete lack of lubricity bothered me the most (1 oz per gallon). It was literally like I was wiping water all over the car. I did get a bit of minor marring here and there but I attribute that to being a newbie and unfamiliarity with the product and the washing technique.

With that said, I am back considering the rinseless options. I have read extensively that both ONR and DP have released new, much improved versions – In addition, Chemical Guys has their “Ecowash” rinseless product available as well.

Any comment on which product is considered best as well as what technique(s) should be followed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you pre-soaking? When I pre-soak, the MF sponge just glides on top of the surface. I feel very little resistance, but then again, my cars aren`t that dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yakky
    Are you pre-soaking? When I pre-soak, the MF sponge just glides on top of the surface.

That`s my experience as well.

MCA, is your car paint condition good? Waxed, clayed, etc. This makes a huge difference in how successful waterless washing works. Waterless is necessary for some, I understand, but IMO it is a compromise between quality of cleaning and protection of paint.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you put any thought into a waterless wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    i like the rinseless better and really doesn`t take any longer than a waterless. pre-soaking my mf sponge works well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    That`s my experience as well.

MCA, is your car paint condition good? Waxed, clayed, etc. This makes a huge difference in how successful waterless washing works. Waterless is necessary for some, I understand, but IMO it is a compromise between quality of cleaning and protection of paint.

My car is driven daily but the paint is in pretty good shape. It is clayed twice a year and always has some form of protection on it. I wash it once a month so the paint would not be terribly dirty – mainly a coating of dust/pollen and occasional dried water spots on the lower half of the car from driving through sprinkler puddles

With regards to a waterless approach and yakky’s question on pre-soaking. I did a pre-spray with ONR/DP (original versions) and dirt did not seem to dissolve very much. This shortcoming actually pointed me to use Poorboy’s Spray and Wipe – this was much better at dissolving dirt but I would burn through a lot of product when “washing” the car. I am open to going back to S&W (or equivalent product) but I feel more comfortable with a rinseless solution where the dirt ends up on ground or in a bucket. In addition, as a tribute to Barry’s Detailing Made Simple thread, I do like the flexibility of ONR/DP to serve as a QD, clay lube, and water conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was washing once a month on a DD, it wouldn`t be with ONR. Its totally do-able, but I`m sure it does seem rather coarse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this will help you but I figured i would throw it out there...

Winter Washing with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) – Detailed Image

Post Thanks / Like
    It is tough to use onr on thick contamination but it`s possible just gotta be careful and. Rinse often

Post Thanks / Like
    Either ONR or CG`s Ecowash would be good choices. I have limited experience with the DP product, but it worked well the few times I used my sample. You should continue to use the two bucket method with a rinseless approach. Also consider washing your car at least every two weeks, once a week would be preferable. If you can`t, try and find a DIY car wash in your area and pressure rinse the car before starting your rinseless wash. This will allow you to remove the gritty stuff off the finish before you begin. My favorite mitts for a rinseless wash are Meguiar`s White Microfiber Mitts. The white mf really allows you to see what you`re picking up, and also helps when you rinse to check that you`ve completely scraped off the grit from the mitt before moving on to another section.
    :buffingolishing paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran out of ONR and got some DP on a BOGO at the geek. The DP is very much like ONR. I love it. Wish I could get it without paying for shipping though. Amazon doesn`t sell it.. only through Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like
    ONR does such a good job on my customers cars that next time I go back to take care of them, they have a gallon of ONR in their garage too.

ONR is slippery enough at wash strength I can clay with it. You`re in the Dallas area, hit me up, maybe next time I detail a car near you it will be convenient for you to come out and see just how easy ONR to use.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Due to waste water runoff and or water restrictions here in Orange County Ca. as well I am also forced many times to adapt my business model to a rinseless service. I have used ONR with decent results, but I have switched over to "Poly`s" using a Detailing Caddy for the win! The vehicles finish off to a nice shiny and slick finish, no scratching, hazing or streaking and no silicone or fillers....

Either product, if atomized (pre soaked) on the surface and wiped off panel by panel using a bucket to wring out your towel free of dirt and debris should give you awesome results. Use a fluffy MF towel for drying.......and my word of advise, inspect as you go..........make sure each panel is clean and clear and the desired results achieved as you move forward.
    David M. Sylican

Innovative Detailing

Headlight Lens Restoral

O.C. California

Post Thanks / Like
    so how is the poly`s compared to the other rinseless washes? i can`t seem to find much info or reviews of poly`s. have a sample coming so i can try it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great feedback all - It is much appreciated. Although I wash once a month using the traditional method, I *think* I can increase the frequency to every 2 weeks if I go the rinseless route. Heck, I remember washing my car twice a week when I was single - now my schedule is packed with honey-do`s and playing with 3 kids.....I digress.

Few more related questions:

- What is the preferred washing media - MF towel, sheepskin, sponge, etc?

- Does 3D/HD have an equivalent rinseless product?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information