Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    The front seats in my brand-new Lexus CT200h (fire agate pearl/black leather --a hell of a car!) have sharp raised bolsters on the seat cushions. I am concerned that the driver`s-side seat bolster will wear quickly, showing abrasion from every time I get in or out.

Call me a worrier, but I`m wondering if there`s any kind of protective film I can apply to the bolster to keep it from wearing.

I searched this excellent site but found no mention of anything like that.

I suppose a fabric seat cover would do the job, but I`d like to have as much leather showing and sittable as possible.

Thoughts, anyone?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good quality leather protectors will help guard against abrasion and the other factor is to keep the area very clean which the protector will also help with. Dirt together with abrasion is what causes the pigment to wear.

Protect from new

Clean with a maintenance cleaner on a very regular basis

Deep clean once or twice a year

Make sure the products you use are water based and contain no waxes or oils which will only attract more dirt.

Hope this helps

Judyb

Post Thanks / Like
    My solution is simple: never touch the bolster getting in/out of the car! If you have programmable seat settings, program one of them to pull the seat most or all the way back and invoke before exiting the car. This gives you more room to exit the car without touching the bolster. You usually spend a few seconds gathering your stuff, putting away sunglasses, etc. before exiting the car, so train yourself to "ride the seat back" while doing so you`re not waiting for the seat to complete it`s backward movement before exiting. Entry is the reverse of exiting. While exiting/entering, grab the wheel to pull your body forward so you are not sliding against the bolster. I was initially concerned about wearing out the motor, but think that exercising it daily actually helps by keeping the tracks and electrical contacts clean.

Using this technique I kept the leather bolster on a 20-year old Nissan Z looking like new, and on my BMW with alcantara bolsters (notorious for pilling and wearing out) the driver`s side is actually in better shape than the passenger despite seeing probably 20x the in/out cycles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it clean and avoid contact getting in and out.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanRichman
    The front seats in my brand-new Lexus CT200h (fire agate pearl/black leather --a hell of a car!) have sharp raised bolsters on the seat cushions. I am concerned that the driver`s-side seat bolster will wear quickly, showing abrasion from every time I get in or out.

The solution to your concern is to find this elusive “Leather Rub Resistant Protector” – just Google it!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    When I use to own an Mr2 I would pull my self out rather than just side step. Kept that car looking mint

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the added advantages to this leather rub resistant protection is that it reduces potential rub-off from the common blue jeans. Another is the smoothness, when sit on will instantly bring an urgent message for your passenger to put on their safety belts. They will know the difference from other untreated leather. "Wow" becomes the common greetings with excitement when one gets in and detected the extra unforgettable classic leather scent that charms! This classical leather scent has charm both man and woman through the ages, at its height during the 18 century Europe, still in demand today.

Do you sniff your leather, even your wallet?

A blind person will know its leather, just from their olfactory organ, without the tactile-feel or the sight!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger Koh- Thanks for the tip Re Leather Rub Resistant Protector, I`ll have to look into that.

Not everybody can adroitly slide in/out of a vehicle without touching the bolsters, some people have enough trouble just getting in/out of certain vehicles period. I can just imagine telling someone with limited mobility how to get in and out of a car :nervous: :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh
    Do you sniff your leather, even your wallet?

Yes, I`m a leather sniffer, except for my wife`s shoes. :dizzy:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger Koh- Following a quick Google, I see the Leather Rub Resistant Protector is apparently the same stuff you sent me in the unscented version, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    As we now seem to be able to advertise our products on here please look into Auto Ultra Protect which is the most effective leather protector on the Market.

Protects against:

abrasion - giving a long lasting wear resistant finish that does not alter the look or feel of the leather.

UV protector to prevent fading

Protects against Dye transfer which can be a real problem on pale leathers

and in addition makes your leather easier to keep clean.

Hope this helps

Judyb

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator
    Roger Koh- Following a quick Google, I see the Leather Rub Resistant Protector is apparently the same stuff you sent me in the unscented version, right?

Yes, the odorless is for you, most would like the scented; which I believe you have it too!

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani
    Yes, I`m a leather sniffer, except for my wife`s shoes. :dizzy:

You need a leather-safe pH 3.7 Leather Bactericide, which is odorless and colorless to kill the on-going "bacteria partying"; thereafter leather scent it and you can sniff it with excitement!

I will try to remember to add it in for you with the pigmented leather premium auto care Kit A4

Roger Koh

info@leatherdoctor.com

Post Thanks / Like
    You need a leather-safe pH 3.7 Leather Bactericide, which is odorless and colorless to kill the on-going "bacteria partying"; thereafter leather scent it and you can sniff it with excitement!

No. I need a lighter and some gasoline. :painkiller:
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the odorless is for you, most would like the scented; which I believe you have it too!

Ah, yes, right you are! And "thanks!". I gotta try my kit out on something one of these days...

And FWIW, after taking a quick sniff, that scented stuff *is* something that I bet most people would like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information