Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

I need to move and drive my car back. Travelling from MI to CA. The car`s paint is still in excellent condition and the bumper is pristine.

I am extremely worried for the amounts of chips and dents that the car may endure on this journey.

Does anyone have any temporary recommendations that I can use?

I thought of those spray on paint protection stuff like road warrior paint protection but not sure if that actually protects it from rocks and what-nots.

Also, thought of 3M painter`s tape but not sure if that`ll last the long drive and not be detrimental to the paint when I arrive 3-4 days later. Also, the blue color tape on pearl white paint may be too flashy on the highway (attracting the wrong kind of attention:frown1.

Thanks for any help

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    a) Horseless Carriage Classic Auto Storage the right space and the right place. is an auto shipping company that specializes in the safe door to door transport of cars, trucks, fleets and military vehicles nationwide. Call for more information 1-800-631-7796. Location is 61 Iowa Ave Paterson, New Jersey 07452 - http://www.horselesscarriage.com/enc...uto-transport/

Temporary Protective Film (PTF)

b) TRANSPORTWRAP will provide your vehicle with a temporary layer of protection to preserve your automotive exterior finish during transport or a very long road trip. Even if you are planning to transport your vehicle via enclosed carrier, our product can provide additional protection from unnecessary scratches or fluid dripping from a vehicle stored or stacked above. You can also apply it around door edges, key entry lock, fender edges, etc. for added peace of mind during open/enclosed transport.

The manufacturer recommends it be left on for a maximum of 30 days; these conditions are involving direct sunlight and moving at high speeds above 60mph. If you are putting the vehicle on a boat and it will occasionally not be in the sunlight I have seen it last longer than that without issue. Transportwrap has a low tack adhesive designed for not only easy application, but also very easy removal. We use a rubber based adhesive that is just strong enough to resist edge lift during transport (high wind speeds) but can easily be removed without leaving any residue nor pulling up any automotive decal vinyl that is securely on.

• Simple pressure sensitive application

• Re-applicable

• Adheres evenly over contours

• Resists edges lifting during transit

Specs: thickness - 3.0 Mil, colour white, size-contours of vehicle24 inches x 20 feet, adhesive - rubber with edge lifting resistance. Durability - Protects up to 1 Month / 30 Days on Vehicle

Note: an average size sports car requires a single roll, which covers and protects the hood, roof and trunk. 2 rolls will also cover the sides of the vehicle (minus the wheel wells) and three roles will allow you to cover the remainder of the vehicle (front/rear bumpers, spoilers, etc.). Vehicles vary in size and shape. Please note that even dealerships do not cover the entire vehicle

c) ValuGuard Transseal TPF - a sheet film is a breathable temporary protective film designed to protect finished paint surfaces without the use of adhesives. The performance of the TPF film is very similar to that of a skin or membrane, allowing the paint surface or substrate to continue to breathe or outgas while protecting the paint finish from mutilation and/or environmental damage.

At application, the TPF film reacts like a “shrink wrap” packaging material easily conforming to component surfaces. And since the Transseal film is not readily affected by UV light, the film can endure long periods of outdoor exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not recommend the ValuGard Transseal for this application.

It was developed and is sold to OEM`s for ocean/rail and truck shipments.

It is also a "storage" product.

The product will provide some protection in the requested application, however, don`t think he would need the min. 5 gal required to order.

Why not just shop eBay or find a bra that would work, plus there are many shops applying the 3M and such film.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Just don`t tailgate. It should be no different then if you were driving anywhere else..

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you have it shipped instead?

The blue tape shouldn`t damage your car. Any lingering effects can be easily removed with KAIO or a light polish. I would just do a layer of blue tape up 3/4 of the hood, full bumper, front half of fenders, mirrors, and rear fender flares (if they significantly stick out).

I wouldn`t worry that much about "attention." The bigger problem here is speeding. Blue tape won`t help you with that. Get a V1 or do the speed limit.
    :soscared:

Post Thanks / Like
    $30 this sounds like a cheap option. Wish I had know about this before. I used this for carpet during remodeling but never thought about it for a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b34tBoX
    Just don`t tailgate. It should be no different then if you were driving anywhere else..
    I might disagree with you on this one. I think there are more trucks on the highway. You are also putting three months wouth of driving on in three days

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TedFred
    I might disagree with you on this one. I think there are more trucks on the highway. You are also putting three months wouth of driving on in three days
    So?

What kind of car are we talking about here anyways, is it a daily driver or garage queen?

If it`s a DD then just drive the damn thing, and keep your distance from other drivers.

If it`s a garage car, then have it shipped, or buy a fully enclosed trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey don`t worry at all, if you are worried about Chips and Dents then you may use enclosed shipping.

May your car have a safe shipping.
    Spamming no more, thanks Mr. Moderator!

Post Thanks / Like
    Use Enclosed trucking and before let your car shipped make your car insured so that your car may have a save shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Just watch out for following people without mud flaps or low maintenance roads. I drove a 26` uhaul from AK to NC with my wife following me in her car the whole way. She ended up getting 2 cracks in her windshield and one in her driver`s side headlight. I chalked it up to the AlCan highway but we noticed our uhaul was missing the back left mud flap so I couldn`t help but imagine it could have been the culprit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone here actually tried this stuff before? I was curious on it after seeing it in a Griots catalog. From the picture it almosts looks as thick as saran wrap and won`t do much at all in terms of protection, but I could be wrong.

Traveling from MI to CA is quite a distance to drive. IMO, I`d just have it transported using an enclosed carrier

Post Thanks / Like
    They make other colors of the painters tape besides blue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information