Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to check if Simple Green Automotive is safe to use on my car as a degreaser before washing. Car has been neglected awhile so I wanted to go through the full detail process. Don`t want to wait to get something offline and I have a whole thing out Simple Green Automotive. Should I use something particular to wipe? One of my sheepskin mitts or can I go with something cheaper?

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple Green "should" be fine provided that you don`t allow it to sit on/dry on the finish too long, and as long as you intend on waxing afterwards, as it will strip off your protection. I personally wouldn`t use it, but it "should" not do any harm.
    Ryan Cywinski - Owner
    Northeast Auto Reflections
    Detail Spa and Mobile Wash, LLC
    www.northeastautoreflections.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Street5927
    Simple Green "should" be fine provided that you don`t allow it to sit on/dry on the finish too long, and as long as you intend on waxing afterwards, as it will strip off your protection. I personally wouldn`t use it, but it "should" not do any harm.

I was plannning on diluting still in a wash bucket, then washing after then polish and wax. Would you recommend something else instead then? OTC preferably.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a bad expierence using SG on an aluminum block (engine) I haven`t touched the stuff since

Purple Power or Castrol Power Clean would be a much safer choice IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Flash, was your bad experience with regular simple green or the automotive stuff?

Ill take a look at the auto store today for those two others you listed. They would be safe on paint as well as the engine bay?

Post Thanks / Like
    For very dirty paint, I love TW Liquid Clay. It is a fantastic OTC decon wash. Great on beaters with trashed paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gachrid
    Flash, was your bad experience with regular simple green or the automotive stuff?

Ill take a look at the auto store today for those two others you listed. They would be safe on paint as well as the engine bay?

It was the regular SG :nervous:

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha. Well I went to the store to get some Purple Power and right on it says "Do not use on exterior surfaces". So I didn`t get any. Couldn`t find anything else. I`m going to try to grab some Tarminator at Napa and use that I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I won`t touch the stuff. Simple Green ruined a set of alloy wheels for me many years ago. Also had it ruin some engine trim and stain paint. It was one of the reasons I started researching so many detailing and cleaning products. There are plenty of better choices. Look up cleaners and degreasing for products that many have had success with.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gachrid
    Gotcha. Well I went to the store to get some Purple Power and right on it says "Do not use on exterior surfaces". So I didn`t get any. Couldn`t find anything else. I`m going to try to grab some Tarminator at Napa and use that I think.

An Anacian bottle will tell you "it can cause death"....... never mind what the label says. I use this stuff on paint all the time. Just be sure the surface is cool to the touch and you rinse thoroughly

Works great on removing LSP`s too

Trust me. I`m whatcha call an expert :clock:

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha thanks Flash. I got some tarminator for the auto shop along with some gunk engine degreaser and some cd2 for the engine. Seems to be a recommended combo.

Thread Information