Post Thanks / Like
    How to clean spots off instrument gauge console plastic cover?

This is the instrumentation console where all my gauges are like rpm, mph, oil, etc. The plastic has around 5-10 spots. Its not the haze I have seen from things like armor all residue in the past. It looks like hard water spots on glasses when they come out of a dishwasher. I tried a few products but no success yet. Any suggestions. Many people wouldnt notice them but they bother me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a quick wipe with vinegar water. This often does the trick. Use a MF towel or preferably a glass-specific MF towel like the ones you clean glasses with.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad B.
    Try a quick wipe with vinegar water. This often does the trick. Use a MF towel or preferably a glass-specific MF towel like the ones you clean glasses with.

I tried rubbing alcohol, dawn, diluted rubbing compound but no luck. A new piece of clear plastic is around $30. I will try the water vinegar you suggested. Is that a special kind of vinegar sold in stores or just vinegar diluted with water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, just vinegar. It`s acidic so it cuts through many salt or alkaline based stains. A lot of times these dash stains come from sweat beads hitting it.

I am suprised that you saw no effect from all you did, though.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    I was surprised as well. I tried to be a little gentle not wanting to make it worse. Do you think the vinegar can hurt the clear plastic that I see my instrument gauges through?

Post Thanks / Like
    As with everything, do a test, but I have never had an issue. The cars I have done have been mostly German, if that means anything.

The fact that you used an abrasive and got no results is curious. I would think that would have done the most. Do you have a plastic/glass cleaner like GlassX, Zaino or Plexus? They are really fine and you can rub pretty strongly without fear of scratching. I even use these on soft convertible top windows. I am leaning toward this now.
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    As with everything, do a test, but I have never had an issue. The cars I have done have been mostly German, if that means anything.

The fact that you used an abrasive and got no results is curious. I would think that would have done the most. Do you have a plastic/glass cleaner like GlassX, Zaino or Plexus? They are really fine and you can rub pretty strongly without fear of scratching. I even use these on soft convertible top windows. I am leaning toward this now.

I dont have any of them. If I can find GlassX locally that will probably be my next step. I was fairly gentle with the Meguiars ultimate compound because I didnt want to make it worse. This is the "glass"/plastic I look through everytime I drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good that you were gentle. That abrasive is too heavy and you really can`t dilute it properly. Get some plastic/glass polish and you will be able to push much harder with confidence. Use a finely woven MF as mentioned before and rub in only back and forth motions, not circular. A quality foam applicator might work ok as well. Use what gives you the most control for the area. Good luck!
    The Stable
    2017 Audi TTS
    2014 Porsche Carrera S
    2017 Porsche Macan GTS
    1996 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post Thanks / Like
    Good that you were gentle. That abrasive is too heavy and you really can`t dilute it properly. Get some plastic/glass polish and you will be able to push much harder with confidence. Use a finely woven MF as mentioned before and rub in only back and forth motions, not circular. A quality foam applicator might work ok as well. Use what gives you the most control for the area. Good luck!

Thanks Brad. I really appreciate your help as usual.

Thread Information