Post Thanks / Like
    The front bumper of my lincoln MKX is painted to match the vehicle. Below the bumper and wrapping around the sides is grey/black plastic bumper extension and air dam. The plastic is oxidized and different shades of grey and chalk. I have tried Mother`s Back to Black but the result is only fair and doesn`t last.

I thought I would paint it with flexible black bumper paint but before I do that, I would request all suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alandf
    The front bumper of my lincoln MKX is painted to match the vehicle. Below the bumper and wrapping around the sides is grey/black plastic bumper extension and air dam. The plastic is oxidized and different shades of grey and chalk. I have tried Mother`s Back to Black but the result is only fair and doesn`t last.

I thought I would paint it with flexible black bumper paint but before I do that, I would request all suggestions.

I use Black Magic Titanium Matte Tire Finish on the black plastic in the grill and the black cladding around the rocker panels on my 07 VW Passat. Restores the black and lasts longer than anything else I`ve tried including Back to Black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alandf

I really would appreciate an answer on what to do with the front cladding. I clayed and Z-5 and Z-8 the paint, used back to black on the other cladding, but the front looks awful

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Black Wow! My F350 rear bumper was grey and chalked badly. I cleaned the APC and then applied a thin layer of Black Wow. It`s like night and day. After a week or so, I did a simple wash and they looked great so I applied some 303 Aerospace Protectant to keep them in tip top shape
    2007 F350 4x4 Crew Cab Diesel

2008 Black Yukon Denali XL

2008 Crimson Red 335i (sold)

Reflection Detailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard of clear silicone being used on black plastic trim pieces with very good results from another message board:

wet look to black plastic bumper portion - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

I guess the trick is a careful thin layer. Page 2 has a picture of his Civic he put it on. Be super careful not to get it on your paint though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah, that Opti-Seal 2.0 is supposed to go on all exterior surfaces, including plastic trim. You can see a writeup on this product at:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...st-review.html

Perfect test as it was done to only half of the vehicle so you can see the results. Its a bit spendy, but properautocare.com currently has 25% off of all products as their going out of business sale so you can pick it up decently cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Less spendy might be if Klasse AIO will get you the color you want back, it ought to last pretty long too without fear of streaky run off.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with a good cleaning and scrubbing and top with KAIO. I use it on all the black plastic trim I have.

Thread Information